Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Truck driver are not the only problem.....

This thread has just focused on "Truck driver's" ? I use to drive over the road, Covered all 48 states on my Harley's, and now RV'ing for some time, so I can say I have just about seen it all.......from the seat of a 80,000# semi , to the seat of a Hog(scary at times) and all of my travels in a auto......The plain fact of the matter is the truck that is running faster than traffic with less horse power will go fast down hill, and in turn slower up hill.........so as posted above, he will want to go faster down hill to prepare for the next hill.......and when in the middle of the hill , he is in the left hand lane , slowing, and is hung out there, due to autos, other semi's being right beside him in the right hand lane when he runs out of steam, all passing him an the right. I am not making accuses for other's driving habits, but semi's are not the only ones that do this, do some people just want "All" semi's to just stay in the right hand lane?........I have had other rv'ers do it to me, people in cars in the left hand lane.....talking on the phone, everyone passing them on the right, and all I can see is their hood ordiment! So the bad driving habits that I am reading about here is just not with trucker's......it is everyone on the road! More car's today "Travel" the left hand lane than trucks........
I have had a , what we use to call a "down hill fast" semi travel and pass me several times on down hills and then I pass him on the pulling hill, if I get tired of doing this and traveling with him, I just stop and get fuel. take a break, and hope he did not do the same thing
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
If he can't complete the pass, that is his problem. You burn up too much diesel trying to regain the momentum you lose doing what you do. I have great respect for truckers...it is a tough job and lifestyle, but too many times they choose to pass someone going 1-2 mph less than them (usually other trucks) on hills or flat, lining up multiple vehicles behind them for as much as two miles. This stuff about that they are working...well at least some of the cars have sales and other folks that are working as well. Personally, I consider it inconsiderate.While I expect to get flamed for this, and I try to work with truckers, as I did some of that in a previous life, we all pay taxes that pay for the roads in the fuel we use. JMHO
That sums up my feelings on the matter exactly!
I had one trucker do that to me long ago. He got on the CB and told me to let him in as he couldn't go any faster. I resolved the situation by speeding up, and the long line of cars behind him got behind me to get around him. Moral: don't get in the fast-lane if you don't have the ponies to go fast.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #59

You know what I find really funny about this thread? In all the diesel vs gas / torque vs HP discussions, inevitably, there will always be some trucker who will brag about how their old 300 HP diesel would pull 80k LBS all over the country with no problem. Now here in this thread we hear about more modern higher HP diesels loose speed going up grades. I'm glad the honest ones are posting on this thread.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #60

I have passed slow trucks on the uphill grade and have had trucks pass me and in some cases try to pass and then not have the speed to complete the pass. I most if not all of those cases I have slightly slowed my speed to allow the truck to complete the pass.
I does not bother me at all to adjust my speed to allow them to pass and go on their way. I try not to ever get in such a rush that it will make any difference in my progress. The truckers have a job to do and I am at play!
I am not a trucker, do not even know a trucker but appreciate the work they do.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lappir View Post
Keep Right Except to Pass and Pass with a Purpose is what I told my youngest daughter when teaching her to drive a few years ago (she is 17 now). From the information she provided me regarding the "Drivers Education" being taught now They forgot many of the rules of the road. After one episode of driving with her shortly after a "Drivers Ed" drive and she stomped on the gas as soon as she made a turn I quickly said "what ever the drivers ed teacher says for you to do. please to just the opposite." Thankfully they only require 6 hours of driving in Drivers Education and I put at least 100 hours sitting in the passenger seat with her. I think I won.

Rod
What size truck were you teaching her in? There is a big difference in power to weight. Think of your car with 20 hp and then go driving.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I was a trucker. I will tell you what is probably going on. When going down hill on the interstate I would give it heck so I could get up the next. If there was a slower vehicle ahead of me I go in the other lane as not to lose momentum. Even if I knew I could not pass. I did not want to slow down unless I had to.

Just stay where you are and don't worry about what the other guy is doing. If he passes he will pass. if he cant he wont.
And I try to respect their work space, but on a 2.5 mile stretch (up hill) that has a 65 limit and one pulls out to pass the one doing 45 when he is doing 45.5 well..... so at the flat (1 mile) we get around, then we head down hill... (guess who is in the way then )
...sigh...
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #63

What about the 80 year old lady driving 55 in the left lane because she is too scared to change lanes. She has a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel yet the shiny new 40foot motor home is swaying back and forth, while her fat old man is snoring in the passenger seat. Oblivious to the fact the bayliner they are towing is bouncing form white line to white line. Ive seen this more than once.

There are bad drivers everywhere. Just do the best you can.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #64

When I step into the MH for a trip, I remind myself that I'm no longer in a hurry and that I will probably deal with some inconsiderate and inexperienced drivers in all kinds of vehicles. Nothing they can do will bother me. If a semi can't get by me, I will slow enough to let him in. The momentum will come back. If I come up behind an erratic driver, I will back off or wait until I can safely pass without affecting anyone else. Remember, I'm not in a hurry. In bumper to bumper traffic, people will pull in front of me. That's ok. I'll just slow a bit to leave a safe margin. Another will pull in front of me, but no problem as I'm in my RV and not in a hurry.

I wasn't always this way. Was a time when I thought most drivers were idiots. Age and miles on the road have mellowed me and I have discovered that it's much nicer to just let the other drivers on the road do whatever they are going to do and "Go with the Flow". I can only control what I do. At the end of a 600 mile day, I'm still relaxed and don't need that drink to unwind. Much more enjoyable way for me to travel.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When I step into the MH for a trip, I remind myself that I'm no longer in a hurry and that I will probably deal with some inconsiderate and inexperienced drivers in all kinds of vehicles. Nothing they can do will bother me. If a semi can't get by me, I will slow enough to let him in. The momentum will come back. If I come up behind an erratic driver, I will back off or wait until I can safely pass without affecting anyone else. Remember, I'm not in a hurry. In bumper to bumper traffic, people will pull in front of me. That's ok. I'll just slow a bit to leave a safe margin. Another will pull in front of me, but no problem as I'm in my RV and not in a hurry.

I wasn't always this way. Was a time when I thought most drivers were idiots. Age and miles on the road have mellowed me and I have discovered that it's much nicer to just let the other drivers on the road do whatever they are going to do and "Go with the Flow". I can only control what I do. At the end of a 600 mile day, I'm still relaxed and don't need that drink to unwind. Much more enjoyable way for me to travel.
Sage advice and well said.

We travel between our summer home and winter home each fall and spring, a distance of 1800 miles. It takes about 3.5 days. The GPS reports our average moving speed at 55 mph. We have timed it so we arrive at our lot, set up and are ready for happy hour.

As you said - no stress. We can have that drink because we are with friends.

I watch other vehicles go smoking by, trying to cut through traffic in an attempt to make time to get there faster. Are they enjoying the ride?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
On most grades going uphill, I am usually following a fully loaded semi in the right-hand lane with my flashers on. I most likely have the pedal to the floor and the turbo flat out watching my EGT gauge. Those semi's that feel they need to pass do so at their own discretion. If they can't make it, well it's their problem not mine. They generally have a lot more power in reserve than I do depending on what they are carrying in their trailer.

I drive safely and defensively all the time while maintaining complete control of my rig which is usually longer than most semi rigs. I am not about to change anything as it has worked for me since getting on the road 4 years ago.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When I step into the MH for a trip, I remind myself that I'm no longer in a hurry and that I will probably deal with some inconsiderate and inexperienced drivers in all kinds of vehicles. Nothing they can do will bother me....

I could agree more, this is exactly my attitude. I never get into my motorhome in a rush to get anywhere, yet I will try to leave later or arrive earlier to avoid traffic when possible. I am not this way when I drive my car, only when I am driving my MH. I think it's because I am in the moment, if you know what I mean.

In the car, my mind is working, working, working, I am not really driving. It's a reflex. I am safe, haven't had an accident in about a decade or so but still not completely there. I have no problem having a conversation while driving, blue tooth makes that too easy.

In the MH, I don't take calls. I let my wife answer the phone, I am simply driving with a little music on at the same time. Smooth Jazz or sometimes classic rock, but not loud.

On the highway, I just want to be left alone. I drive at 63 mph, I stay in the middle or right lane as wave after wave of hurried drivers move past me in droves. I watch as they pass, I am alone now on the highway, until the next wave comes.

No CB but I do love the traffic reports and speed warnings on my Rand McNally 7" GPS which is linked via wifi to my cell phone.

Kind of reminds me of highway Zen. That's my state of mind. Always present driving.

I know truckers are working and I don't blame them for being in a hurry. I try to be as considerate as you are. But I can't drive 600 miles in a day.... Not yet.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
What about the 80 year old lady driving 55 in the left lane because she is too scared to change lanes. She has a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel yet the shiny new 40foot motor home is swaying back and forth, while her fat old man is snoring in the passenger seat. Oblivious to the fact the bayliner they are towing is bouncing form white line to white line. Ive seen this more than once.

Sounds like Florida !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
I'm an Rver and a trucker and I can say that when in the motorhome if I lose momentum on a hill it is very easy to recover as I only weigh in at around 25 k..... when traveling up hill in the truck if I lose momentum I have to downshift a few gears and end up doing 25 mph.....

When driving the motorhome I find truckers to be very courteous and when in the truck I find RVs to be very courtieous...... cars I hate no matter what I drive.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #70

Quote:

Or the (insert name of 5' wide vehicle here) that at 8' wide (dually) I can not drive next to in the construction zone, even though I have driven next to 102"s in the same location.