Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Assume you are talking bout Civics and other little cracker boxes that squeeze in front of your bumper only by inches....
Must be talking about them. Have had a couple pull in front of the 450 where I could not see their tail lights. I am glad to see them go but it is worrisome that they slow down or brake. Would have a new front end hood ornament!!!

What are they thinking?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After reading many of these posts, I am amazed at the number of folks that have a Sweet Spot of 56.4368 MPH for example !
What is quite evident is that every driver is driving at the absolute best speed and will not be prodded into driving one MPH faster or slower by the maniacs behind or in front of them.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
After reading many of these posts, I am amazed at the number of folks that have a Sweet Spot of 56.4368 MPH for example !
What is quite evident is that every driver is driving at the absolute best speed and will not be prodded into driving one MPH faster or slower by the maniacs behind or in front of them.
I always slow down for tailgating maniacs. Especially in places where they cant pass.
One lady came flying up behind me in town. I could see her screaming and pounding on the steering wheel. I was already going 5 over the limit. So slowed up to 5 under.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #88

I have been driving an RV since the early 70's. I have seen a change in the way truckers respond to us. It used to be kind and thoughtful, but now they don't care. Hanging out in the center lane after a pass is the worst.
seniorgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The hp to weight ratio of most RV's is much higher than that of a loaded 18 wheeler (80,000#). In most cases I find that I am able to climb the hill at 45 or 50 when the loaded semis are creeping along at 25-30 with their flashers on. So I pass before I lose my momentum. If I can do it without holding up traffic more than about 20 seconds. Personally, I get real uncomfortable when I know I am holding up traffic so I will do what I can, when I can, to get out of their way. Sometimes that requires biting the bullet and tagging along behind the semi, flashers on. Second guessing whether a rig is loaded or not can be a problem in traffic.

And don't get me started on people who drive in the passing lane for no reason.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I always slow down for tailgating maniacs. Especially in places where they cant pass.
One lady came flying up behind me in town. I could see her screaming and pounding on the steering wheel. I was already going 5 over the limit. So slowed up to 5 under.
And that proved what?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #91

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I get annoyed when a Semi attempts to pass me on an incline, but doesn't have the power to complete the pass, forcing me to reduce my speed and momentum uphill. I realize these drivers are making a living, and I'm just vacationing, and for that reason I back off.
I'm curious how other RVers feel about this, and how you deal with the situation?

Today while driving on I-40 from Amarillo to Albuquerque I was behind two semi trucks. The second semi apparently on flat stretches could travel just a bit faster than then first truck. Twice the second semi tried to pass on a slight graade. Both times he did could not over take the first semi and after what seemed like a long time fell back and moved over so the backed up traffic could pass. The first semi did not back off to let the second one pass. I don't know if the second one ever passed the first one - I passed them both but thought of this thread while I was watching these two trucks claim there share of the highway. For what ever reason the first trucker was not giving an inch.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Wink Get yur done.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Today while driving on I-40 from Amarillo to Albuquerque I was behind two semi trucks. The second semi apparently on flat stretches could travel just a bit faster than then first truck. Twice the second semi tried to pass on a slight graade. Both times he did could not over take the first semi and after what seemed like a long time fell back and moved over so the backed up traffic could pass. The first semi did not back off to let the second one pass. I don't know if the second one ever passed the first one - I passed them both but thought of this thread while I was watching these two trucks claim there share of the highway. For what ever reason the first trucker was not giving an inch.
Hi Bob, no need for the first truck to "give a inch" when he comes to the first slight incline........he has to go out in the left hand lane.......slowing traffic.....and pass this truck , that just passed him
If I move out in the left hand lane, I get the job done.......and not at a slow pace.....and get back over, as to let others
use the left hand lane just as I just did
The second truck here you are posting about, needs just to slow a bit and ride......he does not have what it takes to be out front.......
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #93

American Coach Owners Club
Interesting thread going on here.
I have noticed in recent years that the Independent Truckers are most courteous and the company Truckers are for the most part ignorant when it comes to manors on the road. Just my Opinion!
In my yearly travels ( 25 to 30 K a year) I see all kinds if issues on the road, Mostly Motor Homes traveling that have no clue what they are doing, besides hauling a toad, dumping their slide outs in rest areas and Walmarts. and complaining about Truckers on the road.
Bottom line is if you can't Lead -- Or Follow then get out of the way !
These guys are making a living $$ we are spending what we've made.
Stop complaining and enjoy your RV-MH travels !
Just stay out of my way !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorgear View Post
I have been driving an RV since the early 70's. I have seen a change in the way truckers respond to us. It used to be kind and thoughtful, but now they don't care. Hanging out in the center lane after a pass is the worst.

Have you ever gone into a truck stop and observed the new breed of trucker ? Many are as Woolley as a bear and sound like they are hacking up a hair ball when they talk. Their attitude is, I am bigger than you and will do what I want !!
These are not your home grown friendly knights of the road from yesteryear !
This is not to excuse many of the RV drivers that are so timid and fearful and are oblivious to who or what is around them.
You just have to take a breath and relax whenever you come across these types of behavior. Life is good !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #95

Quote:
I'm not that much of a control freak.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #96

Quote:
I just set the cruise to where I was before I inconvenienced them, so it's not my fault, the computer did it
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #97

Quote:

ROTFL!!! I love it! Now THAT'S a driving procedure I can relate to!

What a hoot!

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #98

I find it best to let them go and I do back off if they can't get by. I don't like them sitting by my side for long. Have you ever seen a tire blow out and what damage it can cause on a semi?
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote