Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #15

With the fall of our economy and the loss of many career jobs, I notice an increase in inexperienced and "non-traditional" OTR truckers. Just about every tractor trailer that passes has an ad for wanted: drivers.

I never recall OTR truckers driving in the passing lane, or racing to clime the hill, or other examples of unprofessional driving. Truck drivers have always been a profession of admired skill. With the cost of fuel and the limited hours--I don't know how they do it.

Am I wrong in my observation of recent inexperienced drivers???
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #16

Another way of looking at is that the interstate highway system was built for commercial trucks. We, in our cars and RVs are using it. Still kind of annoying though while locked in the cruise control battle someone mentioned. I usually say uncle.
jor
joraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Am I wrong in my observation of recent inexperienced drivers???
There is an extremely high turnover in OTR drivers, so the high percentage of "inexperienced" drivers would probably give you nightmares.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
#1 - The interstate system WAS NOT built for over the road commercial truckers....originally built as the National Defense Highway System. Prime purpose was t provide for the rapid movement of defense forces across the US during times of national defense needs.
#2 - My guess is when you compare miles used to taxes paid, there is little difference between the taxes paid per mile between trucks and cars.

That said, the highways are there for the use of all, and that use requires a level of courtesy from all, courtesy generally observed by most truckers and RVers.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I get annoyed when a Semi attempts to pass me on an incline, but doesn't have the power to complete the pass, forcing me to reduce my speed and momentum uphill...

I don't understand...why would a truck attempting to pass you and failing cause YOU to slow down? When faced with this same situation, I just keep going at whatever speed I'm running and let the truck driver figure out how to fix his mistake.

Truckers are no longer the professional "Knights of the Road" of yesteryear. There are a lot of VERY unprofessional truckers out there these days. Several examples of this have been posted above. I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for a driver who puts himself into this awkward position.

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO when an OTR trucker is attempting to pass you and is making little or no progress, and you see that there are vehicles lined up behind him, you should show your experience and maturity and slow down and let him in.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
IMHO when an OTR trucker is attempting to pass you and is making little or no progress, and you see that there are vehicles lined up behind him, you should show your experience and maturity and slow down and let him in.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So far in my limited experience, Schneider drivers (orange trucks) are the most aggressive and least considerate of all the pro drivers I encountered on my 1000 miles home. I watched as they cut others off, sped up behind and tail gaited other truckers, then couldn't get up hills and hog the left lane blocking traffic doing so.

When I drive my car, I am impatient and not that courteous. When I drive my motorhome I am slow, courteous, happy to hold up the rear from the right lane. I don't try to pass much and would rather hold my speed below the speed limit so I can I slingshot comfortably up and down the hills.

I hope I am never in a hurry while behind the wheel of a 30,000 lb vehicle, I would rather be focused and relaxed and driving in present time and enjoying the experience than worried about shaving a half hour off my arrival time.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
#1 - The interstate system WAS NOT built for over the road commercial truckers....originally built as the National Defense Highway System. Prime purpose was t provide for the rapid movement of defense forces across the US during times of national defense needs.
#2 - My guess is when you compare miles used to taxes paid, there is little difference between the taxes paid per mile between trucks and cars.

That said, the highways are there for the use of all, and that use requires a level of courtesy from all, courtesy generally observed by most truckers and RVers.
You might want to do a little more reaserch on this one. Just one example, do you pay $550.00 to the Feds. to drive your MH. That's just one example, do the reserch. Jim. PS lisence is 2700 dollars a year.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I don't understand...why would a truck attempting to pass you and failing cause YOU to slow down? When faced with this same situation, I just keep going at whatever speed I'm running and let the truck driver figure out how to fix his mistake.

X2 - since I am either holding a constant speed or at worse slowing down a little bit due to the incline, it shows a great deal of unprofessionally on the truckers side to not gauge his power and momentum when he attempts to pass. He created this problem, it's his job to fix it.

For those who give way you are only reinforcing this type of behavior and possibly letting him think that he did indeed have the HP and/or momentum to succeed. It's far better to show him the error of his ways in a safe manner rather than in courage what could be dangerous behaviors in the future.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that the taxes paid by both RVers and truckers may be a wash, or even more paid by RVers. You can add up all the taxes and license fees the truckers pay all day long, but don't forget to divide that by the amount of miles they drive, vs what an RVer drives in a year.

As professional drivers who more than likely drive the same routes on a weekly or monthly basis, they should not what performance to expect on any one hill. As said, passing another truck at 1 mph faster is inconsiderate.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #26

...ever notice how putting down the phone improves the performance of the other drivers too?
just tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
For you that just hold your own and it takes that truck a long time to pass and is backing up traffic in the passing lane. Just remember when he does get by there will be that long line of cars backed up that if you need that lane for an emergency maneuver, it will not be available to you because you just wouldn't back off a little and let the truck go. This also happen when a truck governed at 67 mph tries to pass a truck, MH or car that is not paying attention then matches speed with the governed truck and backs up the passing lane. Back off the throttle and let them get around.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #28
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am absolutely in agreement with the comments about careless professional drivers. Seems like over the past few years they are getting worse. They are driving faster and more careless or should I say reckless. Its no wonder that we are seeing more trailer accidents its like the only thing that matters is getting to their destinalion fast regardless of the weather or road conditions. Maybe its the companies they work for pushing them to keep a certain schedule.