Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Semi's passing up hill

I get annoyed when a Semi attempts to pass me on an incline, but doesn't have the power to complete the pass, forcing me to reduce my speed and momentum uphill. I realize these drivers are making a living, and I'm just vacationing, and for that reason I back off.
I'm curious how other RVers feel about this, and how you deal with the situation?
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
If he can't complete the pass, that is his problem. You burn up too much diesel trying to regain the momentum you lose doing what you do. I have great respect for truckers...it is a tough job and lifestyle, but too many times they choose to pass someone going 1-2 mph less than them (usually other trucks) on hills or flat, lining up multiple vehicles behind them for as much as two miles. This stuff about that they are working...well at least some of the cars have sales and other folks that are working as well. Personally, I consider it inconsiderate.While I expect to get flamed for this, and I try to work with truckers, as I did some of that in a previous life, we all pay taxes that pay for the roads in the fuel we use. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
The ones that pass me gong downhill and then I have to pass going up the next hill annoy me.

But then again as the son of a truck driver, I understand they have to make a living, and when the truck is loaded, they are doing the best they can.

As most everything that is in your life, arrives by truck, I get over my annoyance quickly.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't sweat the small stuff. Drive safely and "arrive alive."
Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think I've ever had a truck pass me going up hill unless they were empty and had the power to pass normally. Typically, it is I who is doing the passing and yes, sometimes i do it slowly but I still try to be considerate of the vehicles behind me. If there is not sufficient room for me to pass without holding up too much traffic, I will do so. However, if the traffic is heavy, I will just lay back behind the truck and match his speed.

I do get irritated with the truck drivers who insist on passing other trucks at the 1 to two mph faster and pull out in front of me causing me to lose my momentum. (Is this a contradiction to my previous paragraph?)

Once my momentum is lost, I will just hang back and remind myself that I'm not in a hurry and I will still get up the hill eventually.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

I will slow down. Also going down big hills I don't mind letting the E brake take me down slow behind the trucks (saves the brakes)

Don
Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:

Trucks and RVs both try to maintain their momentum.

That said, there are a miriad of futile discussions that can be had about behavior that cannot be fixed. :
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a pet peeve, when they start playing the block all lanes by passing each other on hills. They are inconsiderate and rude, because they don't seem to care about any one else on the road. Is your time and fuel worth less, because you are driving for pleasure?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I get annoyed when a Semi attempts to pass me on an incline, but doesn't have the power to complete the pass, forcing me to reduce my speed and momentum uphill. I realize these drivers are making a living, and I'm just vacationing, and for that reason I back off.
I'm curious how other RVers feel about this, and how you deal with the situation?
RVluvin
Truckers pay far more to use the highways than RVers do.
Many feel they own the road.
I simply do what I want and let truckers do the same.
As Ozzy and Harriet's baby boy sang: "you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
X2. I've seen them , attempting to pass other semis, and ending up deadlocked, in the whole climb side by side. So they're not just picking on RVers. As in every occupation there are some bad apples, the ones that you notice and irritate you. Well the nice guys out there; and I come across a quite a number of them every day on the highway; go along relatively un-noticed and un-rewarded.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #11

I always try to be considerate of other drivers, watch my mirrors and don't pull into the passing lane when someone is already there going a faster speed. Ditto when I'm in the passing lane and a vehicle is kind enough to let me get by before moving over, I'll increase my speed to get ahead of them faster. Most people drive with no idea there is anyone else on the road, they are the only ones there so they do as they please, and people wonder where road rage comes from...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Then, there are those who will set their cruise control on the max speed limit and will not speed up or slow down when passing a vehicle who also has his cruise control on and they are about 1 mph difference.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

I have never driven big rig but rode shot gun a lot. Most OTR drivers are courteous and realize their limitations on the hills but too many are looking for bragging rights at the coffee stop or are naturally aggressive. I have had more than a few scares watching truckers take stupid chances. They certainly don't have a monopoly on it though. lanerd pointed out one of my pet peeves.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safety is of course the best thing to concentrate on, and not making anybody mad enough to pull out a gun, is a good thing too. I am always afraid I am going to anger some idiot, so I drive very non-aggressively. I am not in a hurry, but I still don't like the drivers who are rude and inconsiderate of everyone else on the road. Experience has shown that Road Rage is very real out there.