Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #29

I emphasize that our expensive (very expensive) class A motorhomes should be designed with more attention to safety and maintenance.

I have the vague impression that the fact of defining them as "Recreational Vehicle" leads producers to take their construction somewhat superficially.

Yet they are very sophisticated vehicles where us and our families live in a situation of mobility, therefore "in itself at risk", with all the dangers of the road.

I do not say that the builders should design them with the same care that you put in the aircraft... but almost.

For example: why are they still being built using flammable material?
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I watched ours being built and I can assure you that there is no way the house can be separated from the chassis without cutting welds and removing hundreds of screws and bolts. It would be worse than lifting a house off it's foundation.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #31

Hate to be negative, ...if the OP is asking this question, then probably not prepared to do what it takes to succeed. The answer is everything is possible, but this one very likely is not nearly worth the effort. I can't think of many repairs (none) that would make it worth the while. If you are trying to sandblast the frame and repaint...then go do it. You don't need to disassemble it all. If the repair is more than that, then go look for a different RV.

I have done many frame up auto restorations...a frame up RV resto would not be worth the effort. They depreciate too fast and the chassis is welded to the coach in many places.

So, what's driving the real question? What are you really trying to do?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/moun...ad-394089.html

Sure, anything is possible...what you are asking is more than what work was in that link.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #32

When I replaced the turbo on my 06 Chevy Duramax, the procedure was to lift the cab off the frame for access. I did it my way w/o lifting the cab, but it also took me 4 days of wrenching to do the job.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
So ... I'm curious. Was this a question that was a pop into your head question or is there a real life desire to actually get to areas that cannot be gotten to ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
With that cage, I'm assuming hung wall construction?
Actually no, walls are built on a jig, foam blocks are cut to fit and installed then the skin is vacuum laminated to the frame. Wall framing is them welded to the substructure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #35

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually no, walls are built on a jig, foam blocks are cut to fit and installed then the skin is vacuum laminated to the frame. Wall framing is them welded to the substructure.
And the foam block insulation does not "settle, separate or shake down" like that of the other styles of building walls/roof/floors..
You get what you pay for in this case....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 AM   #36

I'm still trying to envision a routine maintenance item that would need to be performed that would not reasonably be done with the home still attached.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
I'm still trying to envision a routine maintenance item that would need to be performed that would not reasonably be done with the home still attached.
Yea, me too. I can get to everything on the chassis with relative ease. Much easier than my pick-up or my wife's car. Maintenance is fairly simple. Everything on my motorhomes is larger and heavier than my pickup but most everything is fairly easy to get at and maintain.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
OK so thinking about it.

- I have air leveling only, no jacks
- when leveling the chassis stays put, the house moves up and down using the air bags to their limit. Everything moves as one, fuel tank, water tank, luggage bays etc.
- I can raise the house and block it up to get clearance to work under it, that is the sides rise far enough up that I can "scoot" underneath. The chassis frame does not change of course. The blocks are for safety - if I loose the air the edge of the "house" is only a couple of inches off the ground and I'm not that thin!

So.... in theory yes the house could be raised
But I don't think it would be practical or even possible in real life. Way too many things to disconnect.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
OK so thinking about it.

- I have air leveling only, no jacks
- when leveling the chassis stays put, the house moves up and down using the air bags to their limit. Everything moves as one, fuel tank, water tank, luggage bays etc.
- I can raise the house and block it up to get clearance to work under it, that is the sides rise far enough up that I can "scoot" underneath. The chassis frame does not change of course. The blocks are for safety - if I loose the air the edge of the "house" is only a couple of inches off the ground and I'm not that thin!

So.... in theory yes the house could be raised
But I don't think it would be practical or even possible in real life. Way too many things to disconnect.

Chris

Really?
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Really?

https://validmanufacturing.com/divis...eight-systems/

Edit: My apologies - I've been corrected that the chassis rail does move along with the house.
Chris
Old 01-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #41

Sub frames, holding the axles are hinged to the chassis rails. The suspension is between them and the main chassis rails.

When the air bags inflate, the chassis rails, holding the body and engine, go up to level it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Sub frames, holding the axles are hinged to the chassis rails. The suspension is between them and the main chassis rails.

When the air bags inflate, the chassis rails, holding the body and engine, go up to level it.
Darn - wrong again Ok so it looks like the chassis frame does move because it is the house frame as well. When looking at it you can't see the chassis rail.

so unbolt the subframes holding the axles etcand you can raise the house but again no benefit to that. Overall not a practical idea anyhow.

Tags
chassis