Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club
Gotta wonder how those chemists, field management folks and especially the hourly labor folks who work in our sewage treatment plants and ponds, pump out portable toilets and septic tanks, and ream out your plugged sewer lines ever survive to retirement?

I worked in that field for 5 years. To my knowledge there was never an employee (out of thousands) who became sick or dangerously ill from dealing with your and my Night Soil. Their clothes and they went home and did not routinely infect their families or neighbors.

How did they do that?

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Originally Posted by lindalynn View Post
All of us nurses quack in our boots everytime we get to the dump stations.

Is it the fowl smell that makes you quack in your boots?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Is it the fowl smell that makes you quack in your boots?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well done! I love it!!
Duncan, 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2014 Honda CRV, wife and cat
Florida and South Carolina
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
Well, more than I bargained for when posted but thankful for every comment. Thank you all especially I am excited about the modification pictures. But here is the jist of it. I am a nurse and have worked in infection control so I am aware of what is out there in other people's sewers. All of us nurses quack in our boots everytime we get to the dump stations. Or in some cases in the RV sites, watch people dump right next to our clean water plug in. All those bacteria are not good bacteria and not in your body, "yet". I have watched people at the dump sites run the dump site water hose up their sewer line to "clean it out". Then watched people use that same hose on their systems without even using gloves. HIV, parasites, spores with horrible consequences attached will live days and some weeks in those environments. Since DH does this dirty job and is not as careful as I am I need to safeguard us in whatever way is available. Looking forward to the modifications. My husband always says what you don't know won't hurt. But he is not correct. Hand washing is a no brainer but more than that is required when handling sewer lines other people use also.

I have heard of more people getting sick in clean sterile hospitals than for being around RV's. I do worry about catching something in a hospital, but I never give my wet bay a second thought... Just saying!

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
I am in and out of sewage treatment plants quite often. I inspect facilities with pipes that discharge to waterways, so that's part of the job.

Several years ago, I caught a bad staph infection, had a toxic shock reaction to it and nearly died.

I don't blame the sewage plant I happened to be in that week.

I was also in one hospital for a couple days to tend to my mother who was having surgery and another hospital for a day while getting a physical for work.

If I had to choose, I'd bet on one of the hospitals as the culprit.

When handling things at a sewage plant, I wear gloves, use hand sanitizer immediately after and wash up ASAP. One thing I don't do in a sewer plant is put my hands anywhere near my face. The gloves help remind you of that.

The workers at these plants don't wear any personnel protection.

At both hospitals, I didn't think about germs or bacteria. Go figure?

We speculate that the staph got in my nose while blowing it and playing clean up with tissues.

Oh, and the 3-second rule does NOT apply in a sewer plant.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

This is a dirty subject but I find the black water drain open to the fresh water compartment to be ridiculous. Is their anyone else who feels the same way and has anyone modified the system to solve this problem. We will be switching to a Motorhome at present and our Excel at least has a swing out arm that helps but have not seen that on any Motorhomes.

I agree. We have had our Class A for a year now and I still have a nagging feeling that there is something wrong with having the disconnected fresh water intake in the same compartment as the sewer outlet and slinky storage. I have considered piping the filter's fresh input connection to another compartment, but they are not conducive to spills. Putting it on the outside like many TT's and Class C's makes sense, but has cosmetic issues.

Then I look across at my neighbor's lawn where Fido is licking his butt and wonder if I am overanalyzing.

Can't say I see the point of keeping reusable gloves in that compartment either. We use disposable gloves from Harbor Freight (5 cents each). Also useful for engine/mechanical work and pumping diesel.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #21
Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
So I'll ask the obvious question......How many of you have children, young or grown?

Think back at all the times you changed a dirty diaper, threw it away and went on with your life. No hand wash.
We have all done it, more than once. No one died from it.

Unless you have a macerator installed, the waste pipe (slinky) is 3" in diameter and the fresh water piping in 5/8"-3/4" diameter. Hard to mix up. Fresh water is a closed system, unless you have a gravity fill port. Take care when you dump your tanks and all will be fine.

Don't sweat the little things!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Mike and Carla
1998 Overland Larado 42' DP 1-slide
Full timing in 1 place -for now.
Mike and Carla
1998 42' Overland Larado Diesel Pusher
On the road - here and there - Full Timing
Cougarkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
Yep, hospitals are far more dangerous. Go in for a hang nail and die of pneumonia.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #23

Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have been Full-Time for 12+ years and the last time I looked my black/grey tanks are separate from my fresh water tank.

Also the fresh water delivery systems are completely separate from the black/grey tank drains.

What's the problem? I don't get it!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Me neither.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
American Coach Owners Club
You don't have to have an unsealed fresh water inlet in proximity to your black tank discharge. I leave my in-line fresh water filter and hose hooked up permanently to the fresh water inlet than as soon as I disconnect from the water supply I have a plug that goes into the female in of the hose than the hose is coiled and put into the bay essentially a sealed system.

Also I grew up on a farm, raised a lot of animals,also have done a lot of shade tree house plumbing. You do have to be careful with sewage but you don't have to be paranoid. As was said earlier, staph infection in a hospital worries me more than dumping my tanks.
1998 American Eagle
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #25
It is the foul smell that makes me quack That is so funny. Thanks for "rubbing it in"
lindalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #26
Wow thanks to all of you for the continued advice. There has been some really good ideas posted here. I love this site.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #27
Staph, nasty stuff. Glad you recovered. Appreciate the good advice.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
I don't understand the problem.

In your S & B, your kitchen sink sits on the top of your sewer line. When you put food in your sink to wash it, there are no "air gaps" or valves protecting your sink contents.

2002 38' Diplomat
Keith & Shirley
Durant, OK
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote