Originally Posted by doc
I understand the OP's concern (I worked as EMT part time for a few years). It is a real concern. That said, it seems her main concern is the proximity of the fresh inlet and the black outlet being in the same compartment.
Not a bad idea to mist the wet bay with a diluted bleach solution. I also wash the entire wet bay down on occasion if I have the time just make to make it 'cleaner' looking.
The infection control in our hospital could and do make you aware of how nasty some bugs can be and hard to get rid of.
Bleach, on the bottle it tells you how much for how much water. We do it regularly when we have emptied the tank and refill it.