Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

Septic

This is a dirty subject but I find the black water drain open to the fresh water compartment to be ridiculous. Is their anyone else who feels the same way and has anyone modified the system to solve this problem. We will be switching to a Motorhome at present and our Excel at least has a swing out arm that helps but have not seen that on any Motorhomes.
lindalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Space is limited so manufacturers designate one area to be a wet bay. My sink is two feet from the commode, in a little room. I consider it the cost of doin' (fulltime) business. Put the modification money into your travels.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalynn View Post
This is a dirty subject but I find the black water drain open to the fresh water compartment to be ridiculous. Is their anyone else who feels the same way and has anyone modified the system to solve this problem. We will be switching to a Motorhome at present and our Excel at least has a swing out arm that helps but have not seen that on any Motorhomes.
Yep. I agree 100%

A number of years ago I had a Coachman Leprechaun that ran the sewer hose through a swing-able elephant trunk under the wet bay. Ever since I've added the same type mod to my class A's and have never been sorry. I have about 5 pix of the install, but repeated tries to post them have not been successful. PM me with an email address and I'd be pleased to send them to anyone
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Been fulltime for 17 years in a fifth wheel then motorhome, never any problem. Maybe I don't understand?
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvndonm View Post
Been fulltime for 17 years in a fifth wheel then motorhome, never any problem. Maybe I don't understand?
I guess I don't understand the comments either.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalynn View Post
.... I find the black water drain open to the fresh water compartment to be ridiculous....has anyone modified the system to solve this problem. .
The development of large RVs and motorhomes over the last 40 years or so would seem to indicate that it isn't as big a problem as you perceive. I didn't like it initially, either, and in fact I fabricated a small barrier wall that separates the sewer area from the potable. But even as I was installing it, I realized that unless I installed some sort of full biological isolation mechanism, everything I did was just a "feel good" waste of effort. Consider: you keep your unwrapped toothbrush on the sink within 3-4 ft of an unsealed toilet. How much of a risk can the water bay pose?

Establish a protocol that's comfortable, and stay with it. Keep a spray bottle of bleach solution in the bay (1/2 oz :: 32 oz) and use it on all connections on setup and disconnect. [BTW, refresh the bottle every couple of weeks. Bleach has a limited shelf life once exposed to air.] When you're connecting or disconnecting, always do the potable water first and the sewer last. When handling the sewer lines at any time, wear a pair of substantial rubber gloves that you keep in the bay. The heavy duty kitchen kind work well; don't waste your time with the flimsy thin latex. They tear too easily. When you're finished with it all, wash your hands. It's that simple.

You'll be fine.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Black water stuff might be "yucky" but remember, most of it went thru your mouth to get to the black water tank.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

The basement bay from passenger to driver side contains my fresh water, black tank, gray tank and the plumbing.

The fresh water system in this bay consists of a hose bib, city water/fresh tank fill valve, water filter and an outside shower.

The only things waste related are the dump valves and black tank rinse hose connection. The valves are down low and the fresh water stuff is up high. I store my fresh water hose in the bay next to the wet bay. I only keep waste tank stuff stored in the wet bay. The dump hose goes straight down from the valve and through the floor of this bay.

The furnace is ducted into this section of my basement, so the associated plumbing and tanks don't freeze during cold weather.

If you separate the two systems, you waste another bay and have to duct heat into an additional bay for cold weather use.

I have camped down into the teens and everything stayed freeze-free. I even dumped the tanks and filled the fresh water tank during this cold weather trip.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

Sorry folks, but I guess I don't have the same revulsion about black tank "stuff" as some do. I modified my system for ease of use, not for any sanitary considerations. When I have drippy wet hoses or valve drips in the wet bay, it causes corrosion on hose clamps, screws, brackets and any other metal surface. This accelerates wear, and makes future repair much more difficult. I also have plumbed my coach fresh water system directly to my black tank flush (granted, through three valves and a vacuum breaker) to make use easier and less drippy in the compartment.

If that grosses some of you out, sorry about that. Take a look at my forum handle. That's not just cute, that's because I raised them for a living. Ya' just haven't lived until you have to climb into an 80,000 gal liquid manure tank to free a pump clog. Skin washes. LOL
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Sorry folks, but I guess I don't have the same revulsion about black tank "stuff" as some do. I modified my system for ease of use, not for any sanitary considerations. When I have drippy wet hoses or valve drips in the wet bay, it causes corrosion on hose clamps, screws, brackets and any other metal surface. This accelerates wear, and makes future repair much more difficult. I also have plumbed my coach fresh water system directly to my black tank flush (granted, through three valves and a vacuum breaker) to make use easier and less drippy in the compartment.

If that grosses some of you out, sorry about that. Take a look at my forum handle. That's not just cute, that's because I raised them for a living. Ya' just haven't lived until you have to climb into an 80,000 gal liquid manure tank to free a pump clog. Skin washes. LOL
Great stuff, Pigman1. Common sense and normal hand washing procedures should be sufficient. Shame on me, but I remember changing lots and lots of diapers and never wore rubber gloves!! Just washed my hands. It will really freak some folks out to realize that RVs don't have "septic" systems, just holding tanks, but that's a different discussion.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I love all of this concern about "dirty" water running close to your fresh water. Last time I checked, that is why we use pipes and not open ditches for these things. Water and sewage lines run close to each other everywhere - your coach, your house, your town.

Most people don't realize that all of these bacteria are not bad. We have about 500 species and live in and on our bodies but obviously we don't get sick. Bacteria (and yeast) make our wine, beer, and other adult beverages. We can also thank bacteria for cheese, pickles, kim chee, and other pickled things. Simple hand washing with soap will keep you safe and healthy if you do it routinely. Enjoy those little buggers!
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have been Full-Time for 12+ years and the last time I looked my black/grey tanks are separate from my fresh water tank.

Also the fresh water delivery systems are completely separate from the black/grey tank drains.

What's the problem? I don't get it!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #13

Well, more than I bargained for when posted but thankful for every comment. Thank you all especially I am excited about the modification pictures. But here is the jist of it. I am a nurse and have worked in infection control so I am aware of what is out there in other people's sewers. All of us nurses quack in our boots everytime we get to the dump stations. Or in some cases in the RV sites, watch people dump right next to our clean water plug in. All those bacteria are not good bacteria and not in your body, "yet". I have watched people at the dump sites run the dump site water hose up their sewer line to "clean it out". Then watched people use that same hose on their systems without even using gloves. HIV, parasites, spores with horrible consequences attached will live days and some weeks in those environments. Since DH does this dirty job and is not as careful as I am I need to safeguard us in whatever way is available. Looking forward to the modifications. My husband always says what you don't know won't hurt. But he is not correct. Hand washing is a no brainer but more than that is required when handling sewer lines other people use also.
lindalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
And that's why I don't use dump sites, FHU only. I feel I can control usage much better than the come one, come all dumpsites.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote