Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #29

Thx jauguston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Wife tested our red-neck Dinner bell (Smoke detector) just this morning. It worked.
Hey, I'm a red-neck and proud of it(how can you not be with the clear skies and a full sun every day), so knock off the red-neck yokes or I'll punch my moussy button on the little red/white three sided circle on the lower lefty side of your rambling. Got that.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #30

OP,

What series Norcold was involved?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Dunner,

Local reputable RV Repair shop. They are experienced in replacing cooling units. Including mine they did 4 the week they did mine. Not all 1200 Norcolds. Pine, the Amish company that makes the unit said the overheat recall did not need to be connected to their unit but the shop installed it anyway. I thought that was a good idea.

Jim
Jim not a good idea. It is not recommened on the Amish unit and not needed. The failure you had was not the Amish unit but more than likely the recall box from norcold which shut down your Amish unit. The recall box from Norcold have had many failures on their own not ref. related. Four or five that I'm aware of. I had two, the last one failed without the red indicator light even coming on. I kept it don't know why, in any case I changed out mine to the Amish unit myself early summer and could not be happier. If your fans are working and it was installed properly it will run better than any Norcold. Without any problems I have ice cold frozen ice cream with a setting of 3. No problems whatsoever. Good luck with yours.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #32
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is the Amish fridge replacement contact info for those interested.
We will be going this route very soon as I believe it is the most logical/economical step to take. David Force is the man to talk with. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

I agree that the undependable black box should not be installed on the replacement Amish units as they are as unreliable as the fridges themselves. I would consider adding something like this instead. http://rvcoolingunit.com/Fire-Exting...1.aspx?sid=298
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #33
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My 5er Dometic had a fire recall too. All they did was install a fire shield.
We have a Dometic Model NDR1062 with a "fire shield" that covers about the opening area. Do you have the same fridge in your rig?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #34

I have the Dometic RM2652 , and I think my 5er had the same model.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #35

The recall box had nothing to do with the failure of my Amish cooling unit. As directed by the manufacturer of the unit ALL electrical components were disconnected from the unit and it was tested on propane. That testing was done to eliminate ANY outside electrical influence from effecting the operation of the unit. Pine said when the first unit was installed the overheating recall system was not needed on their unit but it was fine to continue to use it.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
I had one of the Amish $1025.00 cooling units from David Force installed in our Norcold. It lasted two days. It took 5 weeks of screwing around with unreturned calls before we got a second one installed. It is not necessarily the cure-all. The second one has been working for a week. Fingers crossed!

Jim
Jim, I'm really surprised that you got that kind of service. I called David many times with questions and had no trouble reaching him, even after normal working hours, and he was always eager to answer my questions and was never in a hurry. Were the problems you had maybe with Pine and not David Force? Hope the replacement works out good for you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The two things I've seen are the Amish cooling units and the Dino replacement boards, http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Nor_boards.htm . Board are supposed top be better than the originals. I've only seen a couple of bad reviews on these things and louts of good.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Folks- those with the Norcold refer- beware. A friend who has one, and has had all the recalls and recalls on the recalls completed lost his coach when that unit went up in flames last night in Fla. He escapped with his wallet, dog and phone. Fortunately his wife was at another location. He had a working smoke detector. I went to my coach and checked mine- it was non functional. I'll be replacing that and adding another, even though I have dometic refer. When that refer goes out- and it wiil, I'll be adding a residential unit.
Why there hasn't been a class action suit brought against Norcold is beyond my comprehension. There are so many of these time bombs out there, it really scary. FYI-keep your Noncold-and sleep with one eye open. Only you can decide.
Ernie,
Do you have a link to the news story about the fire on Sept. 29. The only fire I could find in an RV in Florida was this one. WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories - Fire in Destin destroys $500,000 RV
Could this be the one? Probably not since the owner was not present when the fire occurred and the unit was in a storage yard. It must be in the news somewhere since those news people couldn't pass up a human interest story like an RV fire where the owner escaped with just his dog and wallet.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #39

want to see how many fires are caused by RV refrig units ? go to the iaai web site and look at the RV section. This web site is the insurance auto auction web site. They DO NOT list the refrig as the cause but the pics tell the story. I will NEVER have a RV refrigerator.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #40
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender View Post
want to see how many fires are caused by RV refrig units ? go to the iaai web site and look at the RV section. This web site is the insurance auto auction web site. They DO NOT list the refrig as the cause but the pics tell the story. I will NEVER have a RV refrigerator.
https://www.iaai.com/
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave44
I guess I'm just lucky. I have owned my MH for 7 years. I have a Norcold 4 door with ice maker, it's plugged in most of the year except in the dead of winter when it remains below freezing. Found out the hard way that cans of soda freezes and burst in the frig when the outside temp gets below freezing. I got the recall and had it taken care of at the local RV dealer. I inspect and clean the outside compartment and the flu each year and have had no ill effects from my frig. I will say if it ever gives me a problem I would consider a residential unit. Hopefully I will trade up to a DP with a residential frig. before it causes any concern. Just want to mention if you leave yours plugged in make sure you check battery water often.
Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had my Norcold replaced ten months ago with an Amish cooling unit. The Norcold never worked that well in the California summer heat, but the fire hazard motivated my decision more than anything. I couldn't be happier. The performance difference is like day and night.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote