Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Dometic in our present rig. Had the recalls done and everything going along fine. Then one day when I went out to get ready for a weekend out I found everything warm and spoiled. Cleaned it out and turned it on to gas (it had been on elec). Started to get cold then quit. Found yellow powder around the burner area. Never did get any amonia smell.
Replace the cooling unit with a new Amish unit and everything is going just fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #44
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We have a Dometic in our present rig. Had the recalls done and everything going along fine. Then one day when I went out to get ready for a weekend out I found everything warm and spoiled. Cleaned it out and turned it on to gas (it had been on elec). Started to get cold then quit. Found yellow powder around the burner area. Never did get any amonia smell.
Replace the cooling unit with a new Amish unit and everything is going just fine.

What is the model of your Dometic and what are the usual temps in the freezer and fridge box with the Amish unit? We have the Dometic model NDR1062 and will be replacing it shortly with the Amish cooling unit as box part has never been impressive in the cooling category. Freezer will normally run -5 to-15 but the box runs 39-40 on the (5) setting, (and that's using (2) fans in the outside compartment). Besides the safety factor on these junkers, which can make for some restless sleeping, the recovery cooling time after opening the door is pretty unacceptable.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #45
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
OP,

What series Norcold was involved?
Norcold 4-door 12XX series. More info HERE.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #46

We have the D. Force Amish cooling unit installed on our 1200 unit. Also added extra cooling fans, SS-30 extinquisher, and a smoke detector in the back of fridge cabinet. Also now runs well on a much lower setting.

I felt the recalls were a Mickey Mouse approach, refused to do the last one, going with the new cooling unit. I wanted to retain the LP option.

I also want to share the strange return to our home from a RV trip. To the odor of rotten food. Our two year old residential fridge had failed. A $40 relay switch was replaced, and the old one had visible signs of being singed and melted in places. We're lucky to not have come home to a burned downed home.

So what? Do your research on residential fridge, 1200 recall's and/or Amish cooling unit swap out with open eyes... Safety is not an accident, it's an ongoing mindset.
Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the fire hazard the same running on ac as running on gas?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
What is the model of your Dometic and what are the usual temps in the freezer and fridge box with the Amish unit? We have the Dometic model NDR1062 and will be replacing it shortly with the Amish cooling unit as box part has never been impressive in the cooling category. Freezer will normally run -5 to-15 but the box runs 39-40 on the (5) setting, (and that's using (2) fans in the outside compartment). Besides the safety factor on these junkers, which can make for some restless sleeping, the recovery cooling time after opening the door is pretty unacceptable.
NDR 1062, refer is right at 30°-32°, freezer runs right at 0° on the 5 setting. Would like the freezer colder but the ice cream is solid so I guess it's OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #49
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
NDR 1062, refer is right at 30°-32°, freezer runs right at 0° on the 5 setting. Would like the freezer colder but the ice cream is solid so I guess it's OK.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards getting ours done soon.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Is the fire hazard the same running on ac as running on gas?
No. On AC you have no open flame to ignite the cooling system gas. It is safer on AC.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #51
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I heard Norcold was going to put out a recall on their "Recall Repair Box" LOL.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #52
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Going back to the 1972-74 time frame we had a smaller refrigerator that ran off 12vdc. It's my understanding that the present refrigerators also run off of 12vdc that the 110Vac is converted at the refrigerator.

Is that true?

If so, why is it necessary to use propane? Just do away with propane and use 12vdc directly without a converter. Run it off the batteries that are always charged when running down the road or plugged into 110.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #53
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Refrigerators require 12v for the control circuits only.

I believe only the smallest fridges can cool with 12V.

All of the larger ones require propane or 120v.

The big drawback to cooling on 12v is the amperage draw is too high for practical battery use.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Norcold 4-door 12XX series. More info HERE.
Thanks paz I was just going to post that info.

I have the 1200 has worked good for 10 years maintain every year had only the first recall done and Norcold is not happy with me.
Plan on Amish unit replacement and it doesn't need Norcold recalls.
Like allot of us cost factor as compared to residential change will determine which way.
We have had few problems with the residential replacements but one has appeared on irv2 will have to wait and see.
The res-fridge likes a quite,strong floor to set on, moving around on moving vehicles maybe a problem eventually.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Refrigerators require 12v for the control circuits only.

I believe only the smallest fridges can cool with 12V.

All of the larger ones require propane or 120v.

The big drawback to cooling on 12v is the amperage draw is too high for practical battery use.
You are right about the small refrigerators. The class B vans used a small 12 compressor type refrigerator. The manuf. did put 12V heating elements in the refr. for a while, but they would suck the life out of the engine alternator and were soon discontinued.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
There are custom RV places in the Elkhart, IN area and elsewhere that will install a residential refrigerator. Google "custom RV interiors," then do your homework and get referrals and look for reviews.

Professional installation of a RR can run $3000 to $5000+ depending on what fridge they use, how much woodworking they have to do and whether or not they have to upgrade or add an inverter and batteries. We went the DIY route and installed a RR last winter for under $2000.

The Amish cooling unit is a replacement cooling unit for RV refrigerators that is reportedly more efficient and reliable than the factory cooling units. They are supplied by RV Cool. They sell to DIYers, and I think there are some professional shops that will do the installation for you.
A correction to your statment:
Amish Built cooling unit are not supplied by RV Cool.... [moderator edit]The only thing that is offered by RV Cool is a rebuilt of the oringinal cooling unit by Norcold. Hope this helped RV'ers get to the correction place. RV Cool may state his units are Amish Built, but that is not correct.
dforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote