Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I got the letters from nor cold, I looked up serial number on Fridge and cooling unit. The Fridge matched, but the coking unit was white and had a three digit number scratched on a plate. I saw a bill for around 1300 for this cooling unit done may 2011. Does this mean I have an Amish unit?

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #72

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I'm looking at about $650 for the cooling unit + 3 hrs install versus $1500-$1700 for a whole new unit,
Interesting comparison... Fact: (Nothing to do with fridges) I had a problem with my furnace, turned out to be the main control board, OEM 250, Dinosaur, which is way better built and even better designed if I'm any judge and that's the field (electronics) I'm trained in, Was 108, Shipping & handling included.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #73
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
When I got the letters from nor cold, I looked up serial number on Fridge and cooling unit. The Fridge matched, but the coking unit was white and had a three digit number scratched on a plate. I saw a bill for around 1300 for this cooling unit done may 2011. Does this mean I have an Amish unit?

I would find a phone # on this link and call David Force with that company. He might be able to tell if your fridge has the Amish cooling unit and maybe when it was done.
RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #74

Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as the recall is concerned on the Norcold, there was also a recall on Dometic for the same thing - when running on propane the tube could fault and cause a fire. Actually, there were more models of Dometic on the list than Norcold. Then again, perhaps this thread is dealing with a different problem than the one I read about.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Sounds like it. Is there a manufacturer label visible?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P.

Sounds like it. Is there a manufacturer label visible?
No just this wrap around stick on label. The unit looks identical to the pictures I've seen of the Amish units. There is a distinct difference between the pictures of the factory unit and this unit plus the color white. I suspect I was lucky I bought a unit that the previous and only owner took good care of things.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1

No just this wrap around stick on label. The unit looks identical to the pictures I've seen of the Amish units. There is a distinct difference between the pictures of the factory unit and this unit plus the color white. I suspect I was lucky I bought a unit that the previous and only owner took good care of things.
The Amish unit has two sets of coils while a stock refer has only one. If your cooling unit has two coils, you indeed have an Amish unit.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #78

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norcold Refrigerator in 2005 Dolphin LX

Hi, just getting into RVing-have owned my 37' 2005 Dolphin LX with 3 slides for about 100 days (bought from La Mesa RV in West Palm Beach, Fl), they have had it for 80 of those days trying to make the Norcold 1200 work.They have given up. After reading the posts about fires and other problems, I am ready to put in a residential refrigerator. Has anyone out there put one in a 2005 Dolphin LX. My major concern is that my furnace is located below the refrigerator. Can I lower the furnace closer to the floor to make room for the refrigerator? What model refrigerator will fit in a 2005 Dolphin LX 6376? So far this has not been what we were planning for our summer! Any help would be very much appreciated.
Jim Reid (Jimar)
Old 08-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #79

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Go to Lowes and check out the 9-10 cu ft models they have in stock. Take the measurements of your opening. The depth won't matter as the new units fit in the hole. You may not need to lower your furnace. If you plan on doing this yourself allow a couple of days.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Residential reefers sound like a good idea, but what do you do when you are on the road all day or dry camping, run the genset?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Go to Lowes and check out the 9-10 cu ft models they have in stock. Take the measurements of your opening. The depth won't matter as the new units fit in the hole. You may not need to lower your furnace. If you plan on doing this yourself allow a couple of days.
That is what i put in mine (I think this is the model i bought in a different color)
Shop Frigidaire 9.9 cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (Black) at Lowes.com
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #82

Mine was a dometic NDR 1292, its now sitting between the sheds, waiting for dump day! Replacing it with a whirlpool residential, being delivered Tuesday 09/03/13.

http://www.sears.com/whirlpool-10.7-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator-w/p-04685159000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

This thing (Dometic) never really kept anything froze or cold. The last trip up to northern Illinois was the last straw, temp in the fridge got up to 50 degrees, had to trash everything. Tore that sucker out when I got home, removed the cooling unit, (what a name ha ha), leak in upper left corner as you are looking at it from the rear, never smelt the ammonia, and no yellow on the floor.

After the cooling unit was removed, (Heavy) I could take it out the door, removed the doors from the box, and it was light enough for me to work it out the door by my self also. Only thing I had to do was remove the door stop to allow the door to swing completely open.

Will have to modify the opening for the whirlpool, and run a line from the inverter to the fridge area. (The Microwave next to the fridge operates off the inverter, so will pull a line from there probably). Would rather have the fridge operating from the inverter than the micro.

No you don't have to run the generator to use the fridge. The house batteries on our coach is charged when motoring down the road, and the fridge will be running off the inverter, (2000 watt) normally runs the two TV's, front and rear, and the Microwave. That's the way mine is wired. So I will be moving the plug for the fridge to the micro wave area, it will then only work when generator/shore power is available. The microwave plug will be moved to the fridge area, allowing the fridge to operate on Generator/shore power and inverter. My Microwave is located in a bin next to the fridge area, so moving the plug and wiring will be a snap. The two house batteries will run the fridge by itself for several hours if needed without the generator or shore power. If I need to, I have space for two more house batteries to give additional head room. But we don't dry camp and usually when we stop, the generator is on to keep the coach warm or cold for our four legged friends

Bonnie will also get a pull out pantry next to the fridge as the whirlpool is a 10.7 CUFT, don't have room for the double door Samsung 197 that other folks have used. Our Expedition has the electrical boxes below the fridge area and it would be a nightmare to try and relocate all that wiring.
Will sell some parts of the old dometic on e-bay, the controller board, thermistor, shelves and such.
Well that's where we are now.
Love our coach, hated the dometic never cold!!!
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If my Norcold broke today, I would have it fixed. Residential refers are great, if you don't dry camp, but the flexibility the Norcold delivers is hard to beat.

That being said, if I bought a used unit with a Norcold, and it didn't have a Amish cooling unit, I would replace the cooling unit first thing. The cooling unit that was provided with them all these years, and the "fix", is nothing short of criminal.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Dave;

If your cooling unit looks like the attached, it's an Amish unit. They are painted white and have two distinctive sets of absorber coils just above the control unit. I just finished the conversion on my 1201 Norcold and am testing the unit today seeing how long it takes to cool down to operating temp. I had the factory recall sensor/shutoff installed twice and it failed twice. Both failures occurred the day before we were leaving for a long trip and I had to bypass the shutoff and take a chance. Norcold won't just send you a replacement sensor, it has to be taken to a service shop and takes two weeks to get the part. I wasn't going to take any more chances, so I replaced the cooling unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmishCoolingUnit.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	45208  

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote