Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Serious issue

Folks- those with the Norcold refer- beware. A friend who has one, and has had all the recalls and recalls on the recalls completed lost his coach when that unit went up in flames last night in Fla. He escapped with his wallet, dog and phone. Fortunately his wife was at another location. He had a working smoke detector. I went to my coach and checked mine- it was non functional. I'll be replacing that and adding another, even though I have dometic refer. When that refer goes out- and it wiil, I'll be adding a residential unit.
Why there hasn't been a class action suit brought against Norcold is beyond my comprehension. There are so many of these time bombs out there, it really scary. FYI-keep your Noncold-and sleep with one eye open. Only you can decide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Folks- those with the Norcold refer- beware. A friend who has one, and has had all the recalls and recalls on the recalls completed lost his coach when that unit went up in flames last night in Fla. He escapped with his wallet, dog and phone. Fortunately his wife was at another location. He had a working smoke detector. I went to my coach and checked mine- it was non functional. I'll be replacing that and adding another, even though I have dometic refer. When that refer goes out- and it wiil, I'll be adding a residential unit.
Why there hasn't been a class action suit brought against Norcold is beyond my comprehension. There are so many of these time bombs out there, it really scary. FYI-keep your Noncold-and sleep with one eye open. Only you can decide.
I agree with you totally. How can a company be allowed to produce a product which poses such a fire hazard. Better yet, how can RV manufactures feel comfortable in installing such a troublesome product? We really need to keep the subject going on a site like irv2 with the idea that a class action suite might be a possibility.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would assume there is an attorney out there in this community that could handle this. How many more dreams need to go up in smoke before this gets fixed.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

Another thought.............when Norcold builds a product that has become a fire hazard how is it OK for them to put a bandaid alarm on a defective product. Seems to me that they have a responsibility to redesign their product as to not requiring a shut-off switch to stop the fires. For them to continue to mfg. a product that requires the recall boxes is just irresponsible.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Last thought. Norcold needs to go to school on the Amish cooling unit. If they can produce a product with such favorable comments it becomes apparent to me that there is a better way to build a better cooling unit. Done now!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Ernie - Don't be too complacent with your Dometic. We lost a C-class to a fire 3 years ago; 99.9% sure it originated with our Dometic refrigerator. When we purchased another MH, we replaced the refrigerator with a residential unit. However, as to class-action suits in general, the attorneys are the ones who walk away with the money, not the plaintiffs.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Ok Folks- lets run with this. I'm no attorney- just an old flooring guy with some logic. Maybe we need to do this off this forum- don't want to upset whoever runs this. I can start a yahoo site with comments about this manufacturer. I have thousands of friends due to the fact that I have been in the rv business- just an owner and consumer for decades. I'm not out to bring glory to me, but want a company to step up and fix the problem- or better yet, since their track record of bandaids- just go away. Safety is my concern. PM me-or email at ernietex at yahoo
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

new yahoo forum

Folks, off this forum, I created a Yahoo group:http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...igerators/post
lets get busy
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

I'm not asking to get rich- all I want is accountability from shoddy, fast track and not caring from the manufacturer.
I have heard from folks that have had norcold replace their units- to sign a waver stating that they will have no other correspondence on their "fix". Sorry if fat fingers cant spell-
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Good luck, look how long it took Workhorse to resolve the Bosch brake issue, and Bosch continues to have brake problems with other chassis.

The fire professionals viewpoint http://cjbfire.com/

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #11

This makes me so nervous. I've been a little skiddish about a fire ever since we bought our MH this past March. We're set to go out for a month the middle of Oct. This makes me afraid to go. Can someone lead me in the right direction to see about a residential refer? What was the reference to the Amish cooling units? I don't know what that is.
Thanks for any input.

Ernie - glad your friend and his dog got out okay.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #12

I'm surprised that anybody still has Norcold's in their RV. I realize it's not a cheap fix, but it's your life. When we bought our last RV I told the salesman that any deal includes replacing the norcold with a residential. We're currently getting ready to order a new 5er (early next year), and same thing, will not purchase any rv that has a norcold.
I do realize that everyone's situation is different, just my worthless opinion. Hope nobody else gets hurt.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not a Norcold lover, but has anyone seen the fire report with a cause statement before determining Norcold was at fault.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I'm not a Norcold lover, but has anyone seen the fire report with a cause statement before determining Norcold was at fault.
Very good point. Although we are somewhat nervous about our Norcold cooling unit overheating and causing the RV to burn down, we've been told by several technicians that it is a remote possibility. One tech who is a retired fire investigator told us that it was an extremely remote chance that there would be a fire caused by the refrigerator cooling unit overheating.

We have the recall kit installed that is suppose to shut everything down if the cooling unit does fail and overheat but we're not really counting on that switch to do its job because we've had to have the recall kit (switch) replaced three times as it failed and has given a false shut off multiple times ...so how good are these switches in the first place?

We're planning to do the residential conversion as we don't boondock much and stay at RV parks most of the time. I just hope the RV doesn't burn down with or without us in it before we can get the residential unit installed.

I've attached an interesting article on this for those who haven't seen it. It also outlines what to document should a fire occur.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Absorpt-Refrig-Fires-Part1.pdf (493.3 KB, 238 views)