Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
My wife and I found a 2005 Newmar Scottsdale, 35' gas motorhome in North Carolina that we really like. Several questions, the first being that I do not find where Newmar makes the Scottsdale anymore, and wondered if that should raise a red flag for me. Also, does anyone have experience with this model, and if Newmar is a dependable product. The third being, gas or diesel, we had diesel before and didn't like it.
Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My wife and I found a 2005 Newmar Scottsdale, 35' gas motorhome in North Carolina that we really like. Several questions, the first being that I do not find where Newmar makes the Scottsdale anymore, and wondered if that should raise a red flag for me. Also, does anyone have experience with this model, and if Newmar is a dependable product. The third being, gas or diesel, we had diesel before and didn't like it.
Thank you
Old 09-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar revamped their model line up and changed most all of the names in the last couple years. The names of the low-mid range rigs all have "Star" in them now and the high end are all "Aire" models. Just marketing - I don't think the lack of a Scottsdale in the current line-up is a refection on the quality of the coach.

I've never heard anything bad about the Scottsdale, but I don't see many of them around either. I'll add a shortcut to this inquiry down in the Newmar Owner forum as well - ought to be some Scottsdale owners there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

As my signature shows, we have an 05 Scottsdale 3671. Newmar changed the name to Canyon Star back a couple of years ago. Newmar changes names periodically. I guess for marketing reasons.

We love ours. It has been a great coach and has not given us any serious problems. Would buy it again. Ours has 3 slides on a workhorse chassis.

Newmar is a fantastic product as most on this forum will attest to. When I purchase another coach, it will be a Newmar. Don't think you will find a better one than Newmar.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #5

We are on our third Newmar motorhome - all gas. Started with a Ford V-10 and chassis and have since owned Vortec, Allison and Workhorse. You did not post many details. I would not worry about which model you are buying if it has the options, chassis and features you are looking for. Slides, chassis, motor, floorplan, seating, sleeping, etc.

We love Newmar and after having owned many RVs from popups to Class A coaches, recommend you stick with the Newmar name - the quality throughout the coach rises to the top. Most of the components you will find on all names, just different degrees of expense and quality.

Attend a Newmar rally and stay in tune with this forum and the Yahoo Groups forum and you can't go wrong.....if you get a great deal!

Bill
Bpsailr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for your responses. The Scottsdale we are looking at is a gas, 35' model 3457, 3 slides, beautiful well thought out interior, on a workhorse chasis. It has the chevy 8.1 engine. I feel we are on the verge of making the deal and looked to this forum as it has always supplied us with good insight and advice. We will not be fulltiming, but will use it often, so I want something that is reasonably easy to maintain. We have had Holiday Ramblers up to this point, but have heard that Newmar makes a good coach. The sad point will be that I still have 2 years left on my HR membership! Thanks again to all who answered or will, we appreciate it.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #7

The Scottsdale use be the Dutch Star gas model. I had a 2002 DS, gas, 8.1 on the W22 chassis. No complaints. I just wanted a diesel, so I traded for a 2004 DSDP in March of 2004. I am very happy with the quality of my DSDP.
Just wondering what you didn't like about diesel MHs?
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #8

Gene & Betty, the only thing I would be concerned about is if it has a full body paint look real closely to see if you see any small 1/8th to a 1/4 of an inch hairlike cracks and little raised bumps about the size of a pinhead. This is called checking, a problem for that year. 90 % of people are unaware of it until it's too late. They are hard to find in the beginning. But they get worse as time progresses. Look in the dark colored areas they seem to show up more there. If your looking for short term use (2 years)it's not a big issue but, if you're looking for long term use I'd be more concerned about it. It happened to us on our 03 and now on our 06.

Larry
06 MTN AIRE 4304
lnwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #9

I had a Scottsdale for over three years. We traded it only because we wanted more room and we went to a 40 footer DP. Still stayed with Newmar though. Newmar makes a very good unit.

I had really no trouble with Newmar but we had too many Workhorse related issues for my taste. The only thing I would say to watch for is that it is on a Workhorse chassis. I would page down to the Workhorse chassis forum here and spend some time reading about the brakes about that time of production and other issues relating to the quality of the Workhorse W22. I am not keen on gambling with brakes myself.

I wanted to add that I strongly suggest driving it in the rain before purchase. Mine was bad about water getting into the air intake and missing. Make sure that has been fixed.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #10

Love my '03 Scottsdale 32 footer. Bought it new and have had no issues. Not many can say that. Had one Workhorse recall, dealer took quick care of it. We use it only on weekends, and an occasionally rally if in this part of the country. Have full intentions of keeping it until retirement in ten years, when I'll then get another Newmar, probably a mildly used 3-5 yr.old Dutch Star.

scottsdaletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #11

I also have an '03 Scottsdale on a Workhorse chassis which I purchased new. It's been a great coach and I've had almost no issues to speak of in 5 years of ownership.
mhrm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I want to thank everyone for your responses and input. My wife and I did purchase the Scottsdale and will be picking it up in North Carolina next week. She loves the interior, and I found it to be mechanically what we need. My thought is that since we found what we wanted, I needed to stop nit picking, and just get it. Thanks again, we appreciate all of you. Now does anyone know of a Newmar Club, we used to belong to Holiday Rambler, but that is changing.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #13

Gene & Betty,

Congratulations on your purchase! I believe you can find information about the Newmar Kountry Klub at www.newmarkountryklub.com

Mark
mhrm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #14

Welcome Buckeyes to the Newmar side. Also nice to have another Scottsdale owner here.

This is a great bunch of people here on the Newmar forum as I am sure it was on the Monaco. People will gladly help you with anything if they can.

Hope to see you at one of the NKK rally's in the future.

Ben