Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Service???

Am I the only one who is forced to accept the fact that when I want chassis service on my motorhome I have to drop off the coach and then wait at least one week before the coach makes it into the service bay??? I would much prefer to bring it in the day before they will work on it....just sayin. I have tried 2 different service departments and have had the same result each time. What's the secret? What's the magic word? Maybe you can share your thoughts with me. I am easy to get along with but it seems that the RV service bar is set way too low for my expectations even though I clearly detail my expectations during the drop off write up. Thx and pardon the venting....
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It's the most frustrating thing in the world, they say a couple weeks, well try a couple months and some longer. I cannot believe how long they keep the coach. I thought it was unique to one service place but nope they are all the same. I can say the first guy I went to had it forever but none of his work has had to be redone like some others.

I wish they would just tell me the truth, its not like there is a shop on every corner, jeez.

We have a nice new garage for ours and it sat outside at the shop for about a month and a half in the blizzard and 11 below zero weathr in southern Indiana, I was not pleased.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #3

We drop off our MH at local Cummins dealer for chassis type service. I believe it has always been completed within a day.

Their service department is open 24 hrs.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bespos View Post
Am I the only one who is forced to accept the fact that when I want chassis service on my motorhome I have to drop off the coach and then wait at least one week before the coach makes it into the service bay??? I would much prefer to bring it in the day before they will work on it....just sayin. I have tried 2 different service departments and have had the same result each time. What's the secret? What's the magic word? Maybe you can share your thoughts with me. I am easy to get along with but it seems that the RV service bar is set way too low for my expectations even though I clearly detail my expectations during the drop off write up. Thx and pardon the venting....

Excuse me for not understanding, are you saying it takes you a week or more to get service on the chassis? It would appear you have a gas coach either GM or FORD and it takes over a week to get service? Or are you talking about repairs to the coach (house) portion?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a Cummins dealer in S.E. MI and they generally are really prompt. Now if they have it in and diagnose something more then what I thought was wrong ordering parts could extend the stay which I would totally understand.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Excuse me for not understanding, are you saying it takes you a week or more to get service on the chassis? It would appear you have a gas coach either GM or FORD and it takes over a week to get service? Or are you talking about repairs to the coach (house) portion?
You got it right...chassis service such as lof, replace generator plus, etc. That's about it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Thanks Patstab, I was beginning to wonder. There happen to be an RV Show this weekend in Atlanta so I will go and look for another service option! Wish me luck...
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I use a Cummins dealer in S.E. MI and they generally are really prompt. Now if they have it in and diagnose something more then what I thought was wrong ordering parts could extend the stay which I would totally understand.
Steve, what's the name of your Cummins dealer?
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Routine service (LOF, chassis lube, generator oil/filter) on a gas chassis is pretty straight forward and should not take any decent shop more than a couple of hours max. I would look for a good independent shop that services medium duty trucks. If you have a Cummins Coach Care shop in your area, they will certainly do the generator (assuming it is a Cummins/Onan). Not sure they will service a gas chassis motorhome but would think they would be able to do that for you.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
KIX

For the service / maintenance items that I won't do myself I have found a really good mobile service tech. Using him the coach stays in the garage until he gets here. He fixes the problem, gets paid and leaves. Maybe you could find a mobile guy in your market.

Maybe you've figured it out already but, seriously, the dealer does NOT want your service business. Think about it........they do work work for you and charge you say $3000. Their profit after all expenses may be $1000. However, if they can sell a RV they will make lots more than $1000. So, guess what comes first in their service department.....a coach in their inventory that is for sale. Yours will always be last in line.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bespos View Post
You got it right...chassis service such as lof, replace generator plus, etc. That's about it.

Your obviously taking it to the wrong places for service. Look for a service facility that works on school buses. Your gas coach chassis is nothing more than a school bus chassis. Any truck service dealer will normally do chassis service on a motor home. When I had my gas coach, I got it serviced at a local independent repair facility that also serviced school buses. I never waited more than an hour or so for a routine lube, oil, and filter. Forget RV dealers for chassis service, look for a truck service garage.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe I just live a charmed life. I had a problem with my coach overheating on a trip. I took it to a freightliner repair center with an RV shop. They found the problem within a day but the part I needed was in Memphis ( we were in northern California) They had the part overnight shipped to them and we were going the next day.

I use camping world for coach repairs. They are about a two hour drive. I make an appointment. I drive the coach to their lot the day before and spend the night then I get it worked on the next day. I am in Oklahoma now and had to have the power cable reel replaced. I drove by an RV shop locally and told them what was wrong. They took the information down and ordered the new reel. When the reel came in they called me and made an appointment. I drove to the shop for my appointment and it was ready by noon.

The only time I have had my coach gone for a week was near my home in Arkansas. I had an oil leak on the cummins. I made an appointment. Drove the coach there and told them I would not need it for a week. A couple of days later they called and said it was ready. I drove down at the end of the week and picked it up then went camping.

I make an appointment if It is not being checked out within a couple of hours of my appointment I start asking why. If I do not like the answer I start looking for a higher level manager until I get someone that can speed the process up. If I had a coach in for the amount of time you are talking about the general manager of that facility would know me very well.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I have experienced similar results with truck repair shops that do not specialize in the one-of-kind type customers.

They will service their fleet daily customers first and fit my rig in when things are slow.

Cummins is prompt but more expensive.

The Truck Stop maintenance centers are very prompt with a first come first served process and on a 24 hr basis. But, I generally have to wait with the rig through the whole process.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Freightliner chassis and use Freightliner Oasis shops for chassis service. We can make an appointment and they do our annual service for Cummins and Freightliner and generator (Onan) that day.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote