Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Question Service Advice

We are the new (to us) owners of our 1st motorhome, a 2001 Airstream XC360. It has the 300 Cat and Allison trans. and Frieghtliner chassis My question is us there an advantage to haveing it serviced at either the Cat dealer or the Frieghtliner dealer.
ThankYou
lms1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms1943 View Post
We are the new (to us) owners of our 1st motorhome, a 2001 Airstream XC360. It has the 300 Cat and Allison trans. and Frieghtliner chassis My question is us there an advantage to haveing it serviced at either the Cat dealer or the Frieghtliner dealer.
ThankYou
Simply put, no. Not all Freightliner service locations will take in a motorhome even with a Freightliner chassis. Look for a Freightliner Oasis service station is you want to use them.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Many FL dealers are also certified for either Cummins or CAT or both. You may get lucky and find one who is both a FL and CAT dealer. It's a good question to ask. Be sure to ask if they work on motorhome chassis's. Some shops don't like working on coaches due to the requirement of keeping them clean on the inside.

If you have any local clubs in your area, they are a good source for recommendations on where to take your coach for service.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the earlier comments. In my case I have made it an annual event to visit the Freightliner Factory Service center in Gaffeny, SC. In fact this year in May we are going to attend the Freightliner Chassis Owner's school.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
I agree with the earlier comments. In my case I have made it an annual event to visit the Freightliner Factory Service center in Gaffeny, SC. In fact this year in May we are going to attend the Freightliner Chassis Owner's school.
Me too.. My 12 year old son and I are going April 12 & 13.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

Gaffney is a great experience. The service center is tops. Camp FL and Mike Cody are tops! I highly recommend it. Been there. Done that.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Factory Service Center is HIGHLY recommended. Terrific service at reasonable prices. And unlike most dealerships, your coach will be serviced when your appointment says it will be service

Freightliner Oasis dealers run the gamut from so-so to quite good.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Me too.. My 12 year old son and I are going April 12 & 13.
Just going to miss you. We'll be there on the 18th for service. I took the class 4 years ago. Say hello to Mike for everyone.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Just going to miss you. We'll be there on the 18th for service. I took the class 4 years ago. Say hello to Mike for everyone.
I assume the local KOA is the place to stay?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You never mentioned what type of service you needed. If it is just a good oil and filters (oil, fuel, etc.) to be change for either the engine and or the generator (diesel) - try a Speedco. We tried one on our last oil change (Cummins) and it was awesome! They let you in the shop, can talk and question the service guys, watch them doing the actual work and pay about 1/3 the price of a "factory" store. They do not do transmissions on RV's since they are automatics, but it sure was a great visit! They're located on most major Interstates in big trucking highways. Find them at Speedco.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #11

Rats! Just called Gaffney. The service slots are all booked for the 4/12, 4/13 dates of the Camp Freightliner.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #12

I learned early on that factory stores really think they are something special. Quoted $2800 for a master cylinder replacement and brake bleed from Freightliner. Did it myself for around $550 (mostly parts). Expect a truck shop would have done it for $800 or so (2 hours @ $100 per hour plus part & fluids).

Quotes I got over the years from every factory shop I talked to about anything on my rig usually turned out to be double what I could get at independent shops. For instance, Onan generator bearing broke apart and froze the genset. Onan shop quoted $1200 and hinted it might be more. Independent shop did it for $630.

If the shop is certified, and if you get work done that's required for your warranty, that work has to be accepted by the manufacturer down the road if you have a issue, even if it's not a 'factory authorized' shop. Federal law. (But you do have to have your receipts for things done).

But, to each his/her own.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service