RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 56
Service Contracts - California

I am almost always opposed to buying any type of 'extended warranty' or service contract on any products I buy. That being said I thought I would at least get a couple of quotes and read the fine print for a soon to be purchased 2017 coach. Unfortunately am getting responses that we live in California and they cannot quote us. Anyone else run into this? I wouldn't most likely never buy one of these contracts but for those that would like to I'm sure that by limiting competition the dealers are making out here in the wonderful state of California.
__________________

mromberg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm
Posts: 828
Call a couple local RV dealers, especially if you have a relationship with one so you can trust the response. Ive mentioned that I would probably buy a 5 year warranty on a new coach and was quoted around $7000-$9000 depending on the contract, but no mention of exclusions for Ca. That said, I didnít get a specific quote either.
__________________

__________________
2010 Bay Star 2901: Victron 24/3000 inverter/charger, 1575w residential solar, and a whole lot of elec and plumbing mods. In the process of upgrading...
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 21,569
I think you have just contacted insurers that aren't licensed in CA. Each state has regulations and not everybody chooses to play in every state. Try some of the big names, e.g. Good Sam, Coach-Net, etc. Better yet, contact Wholesale Warranties (wholesalewarranties.com) and let them find a source for you and get the quote. They can tell you about the terms of the warranty, the price and whatever else you want to know.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think you have just contacted insurers that aren't licensed in CA. Each state has regulations and not everybody chooses to play in every state. Try some of the big names, e.g. Good Sam, Coach-Net, etc. Better yet, contact Wholesale Warranties (wholesalewarranties.com) and let them find a source for you and get the quote. They can tell you about the terms of the warranty, the price and whatever else you want to know.
Just sent wholesale warranties a request for a quote. Iíll report back with the results
__________________
2010 Bay Star 2901: Victron 24/3000 inverter/charger, 1575w residential solar, and a whole lot of elec and plumbing mods. In the process of upgrading...
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:20 AM   #5
dp7
Senior Member
 
dp7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: So Cal
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromberg1 View Post
I am almost always opposed to buying any type of 'extended warranty' or service contract on any products I buy. That being said I thought I would at least get a couple of quotes and read the fine print for a soon to be purchased 2017 coach. Unfortunately am getting responses that we live in California and they cannot quote us. Anyone else run into this? I wouldn't most likely never buy one of these contracts but for those that would like to I'm sure that by limiting competition the dealers are making out here in the wonderful state of California.
I was told they can sell in CA only if purchased as part of the new coach sale. Can not sell in CA after owner takes delivery of coach. Just another perk for living in the Golden State.
__________________
2017 Newmar Ventana 3709
2017 Jeep Wrangler (2 door)
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm
Posts: 828
Well it took a while, but...

This is the answer I got from Wholesale Warranties:

Due to California changing some of its tax laws, we are unable to write a policy to a customer whose sole address is in the state of California. The policy is usable in all 50 states including Alaska and Canada, however, to write the policy we will need an address outside of California. The demographic of our customerís usually means they have other addresses such as vacation homes, mail forwarding, LLCís, etc.

Would you have an address outside of the state? Please let me know, and I would be happy to send over a quote.
I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

So, howdaya like that ?
__________________
2010 Bay Star 2901: Victron 24/3000 inverter/charger, 1575w residential solar, and a whole lot of elec and plumbing mods. In the process of upgrading...
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 56
Thatís the same response I got. Sounds like they are encouraging us to just give them any address so they can write the quote. Hint hint.

I havenít responded.
mromberg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm
Posts: 828
I gave them my NH address and Iím now reviewing several policy options. One interesting detail is that raising the deductible saves about $1200 over life of a six year life of the policy - $7200 v. $8400.

I have a lot of homework to do but at least I have something to digest now. Also they offer a $400 discount if you pay for the entire policy rather than paying an annual premium.

Iíd have to amortize it out, but at a glance I think youíd make more interest a say 4% on the unpaid balance over the life of the policy than $400. Lots to think about. it will be interesting to compare these quotes to a dealership offering.
__________________
2010 Bay Star 2901: Victron 24/3000 inverter/charger, 1575w residential solar, and a whole lot of elec and plumbing mods. In the process of upgrading...
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromberg1 View Post
Thatís the same response I got. Sounds like they are encouraging us to just give them any address so they can write the quote. Hint hint.

I havenít responded.
Yeah give em Cousin Earnieís address in Nashville....
__________________
2010 Bay Star 2901: Victron 24/3000 inverter/charger, 1575w residential solar, and a whole lot of elec and plumbing mods. In the process of upgrading...
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I gave them my NH address and Iím now reviewing several policy options. One interesting detail is that raising the deductible saves about $1200 over life of a six year life of the policy - $7200 v. $8400.
Our home/auto insurance company keeps telling us we should raise our deductible from $250 to $750 or $1,000. I finally got tired and did the math and asked them this question:

"I did the math for $1,000 and it will take five years of the reduced premiums to equal the deductible increase. So if I have one claim within the first five years I lose."

Then they told me the usual story about how my history showed I historically have zero claims. So I countered with:

"Then why would I just not go with the state minimum auto insurance and drop the home insurance completely? That would save me a lot more money."

Their response:

"You win."

And they've ever brought it up again.

Ray
__________________
2020 Forest River Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
This is the answer I got from Wholesale Warranties:

Due to California changing some of its tax laws, we are unable to write a policy to a customer whose sole address is in the state of California. The policy is usable in all 50 states including Alaska and Canada, however, to write the policy we will need an address outside of California. The demographic of our customerís usually means they have other addresses such as vacation homes, mail forwarding, LLCís, etc.

Would you have an address outside of the state? Please let me know, and I would be happy to send over a quote.
I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

So, howdaya like that ?
Thatís funny. Wholesale Warranties is located in San Diego CA and they canít even write a policy using a CA address.
__________________
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2011 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm
Posts: 828
Yeah thereís some wonky policy round here...
__________________
2010 Bay Star 2901: Victron 24/3000 inverter/charger, 1575w residential solar, and a whole lot of elec and plumbing mods. In the process of upgrading...
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 AM   #13
Member
 
CalifCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 74
I got the same response from Wholesale Warranties as well. I called them because I had heard a few good things about them and their office is about 5 miles away from me, here in San Diego. I eventually gave up on the idea and established an "RV repair fund" bank account.
__________________
2012 Winnebago Journey
CalifCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 1,417
This is a very interesting thread. After reading, I did a little research, but could not find any California tax changes that would prevent Wholesale Warranties from selling contracts to sole residents. What I did find is that sales tax on an optional service contract is not collected.


I can only conclude that there was some tax changes for companies doing business with customers who are sole residents of California, and Wholesale Warranties chose not to participate to save themselves the increase cost. This would explain the "encouragement" to declare an outside address for those wanting a contract. I suspect there is a difference between companies that "do business in California", and that "do business for Californians".



I did find that California is one of only a few states (maybe the only state) that will double tax small businesses. Most states follow the federal tax guideline of taxing the income of a business as personal income for the owners, and not tax on the company's income. California does both. The gross income for the company is taxed, and the income received by the owners is also taxed on their individual returns.


So, without getting political, this may be the reason for Wholesale Warranties position regarding sole California residents.
__________________

__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california, service



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended warrantys (service contracts) jimlin1 iRV2.com General Discussion 5 08-05-2011 08:49 PM
Insurance and Roadside service contracts Solask MH-General Discussions & Problems 6 07-18-2011 09:49 AM
Extended service contracts JimMawJake Newmar Owner's Forum 5 08-16-2008 05:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×