Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Service/maintenance records

Does anyone know if there is a way to get maintenance records/service records for a coach? The coach we bought did not have much in the way of records from the first owner and only a couple of things from the second owner.
sf49erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried to get service info on a Monaco, they refused to release the info even if I bought the rig. They claimed it was a privacy issue under Federal law.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't understand how that is possible Would think that would be public record type stuff. Just wanting to see how regular the maintenance was done on our coach I am assuming it was done consistently because it's in great condition, but you know how that goes
sf49erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Service/maintenance records

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49erfan View Post
I don't understand how that is possible Would think that would be public record type stuff.......

Why public record? A privately owned vehicle, not operated for hire or as a public conveyance, worked on by a private service company not conducting any maintenance checks required by law.
Now, you can probably easily get records of state safety inspections. These are legally required inspections conducted by state agents, so those records may well be publicly available.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

I'm questioning why the manufacturer, Monaco, would have/keep any chassis maintenance records on any particular coach? They are essentially a coach builder and I can't imagine why any coach maker would keep a database of engine and chassis maintenance records.

And even if the chassis maker were to keep records, they'd only have records of maintenance done at their own factory-authorized service centers. I doubt very much that they keep a database either. In other words, does a Freightliner shop or an authorized Spartan chassis service center enter maintenance information in a nationwide database of services performed at their shop on a particular coach? Maybe ...but I'm thinking not. They may keep records of warranty work done and possibly might be willing to disclose those records to you, I don't know.

Many of us do not have factory recommended service performed at a factory-authorized shop. Many perform the services themselves. Most, like myself, have private shops that they trust do the maintenance. Neither I nor the private shop report those services to the chassis maker.

Therefore, unless the owner of the coach keeps their own records, receipts, etc. and is willing to hand those records over to the buyer, I don't think there is an standard manner in which you could obtain all the maintenance services done on the chassis of any particular coach. I hand all my records over to the buyer whenever I sell. I do not wish to hide anything. And most buyers appreciate detailed service records.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I tried to get service info on a Monaco, they refused to release the info even if I bought the rig. They claimed it was a privacy issue under Federal law.
Actually I tried to get warranty repair/recall info, not the service info so I posted it wrong.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually I tried to get warranty repair/recall info, not the service info so I posted it wrong.
Mr. D, that's interesting. Before I bought my coach (in MO) I required recall clearance letters from the coach and chassis manufacture as part of the import into Canada process. Both Newmar and Spartan emailed me these immediately on request.

As far as routine maintenance records, the only ones you might get would be documentation by the owner or owners. Even if you knew the shop that did any maintenance, they may or may not be willing to share that information.
So, in short, what you see is what you get.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Owners get servicing done at many different types of places and while traveling. There's no way to get this information.

When we sold our MH that was a big selling point - we had kept every single service record (oil changes, etc.).
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Owners get servicing done at many different types of places and while traveling. There's no way to get this information.

When we sold our MH that was a big selling point - we had kept every single service record (oil changes, etc.).

Totally agree! Unless the seller has the records you're out of luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, service