RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Service records

We are looking at a 2002 Dutch Star 3872 with 22,000 miles. There no service records for any chassis maintenance, engine or gen. I have had it inspected and the only issue they have found is the ball joint boots are all damaged, but the joints are tight and in good shape. Are missing records a deal breaker? Thanks

webbman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #2

Not really. When I bought the 07 Itasca there were no records and couldn't get them from the dealer. It was a trade and I guess "privacy issues" wouldn't let them give me their contact. There was a date written on the fuel filters and the tires were only a few months old. The condition was immaculate so we got it. After the first trip I had oil, filters, air and desiccant filters changed. Next trip replaced coolant, and next trip replaced transmission oil and filters. If you are worried and want to be comfortable, perform all the servicing right away so you are starting with a clean slate. Records would be nice but not always possible

Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #3

When we sold our motorhome we had all the service records and it was a 'deal maker'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My question is what was inspected on the rig, was it just a visual inspection or did they do engine, transmission, and coolant analysis which would tell of hidden problems that could cost lots of $$$ in the future.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #5

I purchased at the time my 17 year old Country Coach without a single service record and no inspection.
Drove it from Florida to Connecticut. Once home changed oil and filter,air dryer,rear differantal fluid,trans fluid and filter. Tested the anti freeze with test strips and left it alone. After two years runs like a top and no real problems.
New batteries and a rear wheel seal.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2015 Wranagler JKU towed
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It should not be an issue. But I would give it a good pro drivetrain inspection and fluid sample. Hopefully it was stored inside?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have purchased 3 different used coaches I did full service right after purchase on the ones without service records and not on the one with records because it wasn't needed yet according to the records.
All needed some mechanical work and/or changes after purchase but that's what comes with older coaches.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for your response. The inspection was only visual and being an older coach we are planning on doing a full maintenance if we buy it. I wasn't sure I could ask the dealer to let me take it to a chassis shop for a day or so to do that deep an inspection. The coach is in great shape and the DW loves it, so I guess we are all in.
See you om the road soon. Can't wait.

webbman57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service