Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
The Newmar dealer I purchased from went a step further. They said they would only service customers who bought new RV's from them. The used MH I purchased from them wouldn't get me in the service department.

That's crazy.

harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #30

Preferential and denial are two widely different things. Preferential may be a bonus offered by a dealer in sales, and even differentiated in different levels of sales (Gold club, Silver club, for examples). But denial is an absurdity and as a "penalty" for not buying there is a crystal clear sign that you would be insane to even talk with that dealer.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #31

I was told by my salesmen that they take care of their customers first, but will of course service anything that come through the door. If a salesman ever told me they won't service a unit that was not sold by them, I'd ask to see the service manager, and then the owner. I would also ask the owner if he could come close to the price of a competitor and if he can't, then at least you gave him the chance.
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I have to agree with turn and run out the door crowd. What if one ha relocated or is fulltimer in need of assistance? The airlines have all become like this, if you bought from a website (other than theirs) or a travel agent they won't help. No matter if the agency is closed or it is a holiday.

WHAT ABOUT THE CONSUMER????? Whatever happened to customer service?

How shortsighted, EARN a new customer!
On the Road with 7 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #33

Service truth or myth?

Service truth = It usually takes twice as long, and costs more, then expected...

Service myth = Work will start on time, be completed on time, and be less then the estimate...

!

(And sure, I think we've all had experiences where things go wrong, or even dishonest service. But I know for us, we've been fortunate to build relationships with shops that we trusts. Some true hardworking professionals, honest, and people who care - do exists. This has been the case from small shops and even large shops too... RV Service Reviews is a friend to all of us. Please update the good, the bad and or the ugly of your experiences. The more we share, the more we help each other. Plus, if a shop sees a steady trend of less then happy customers posting - it could alter their method of business. So even a negative/constructive review, could be helping a shop, and thus their employees for the long haul.)

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
As a shopper and upcoming fulltimer, this stuff really bugs me. In the car biz, dealers will service damn near anything and charge accordingly. They don't care where you got the car, and the service department is a BIG profit center for them - hell it kept a lot of dealers in business a few years ago. My daughter is a service advisor for a local dealer and she says simply, everyone is welcome.

Why the hell the RV business isn't handled that way is beyond me. But then I always buy old cars, and anything I can't do myself, I find a top independent. Sounds like that's the method to use.

I still find it amazing that I can spend 300 grand on an RV and get refused for service everywhere except ONE place, and spend 5 grand on a used Jeep and get it serviced ANYWHERE. Wow.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As someone who works at one of those "famously morally corrupt" RV dealerships, I can tell you we don't care where you bought it. In the shop right now is a Prevost (don't sell them), Beaver (never sold them), and a couple more we have never sold. We also work on cargo trailers, horse trailers, mobile breast exam RV, Mississippi State University mobile veterinarian trailer, mobile pediatric surgery trailer, you get the idea. Of course people who buy from us get preferential treatment, but should they not?
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
As someone who works at one of those "famously morally corrupt" RV dealerships, I can tell you we don't care where you bought it. In the shop right now is a Prevost (don't sell them), Beaver (never sold them), and a couple more we have never sold. We also work on cargo trailers, horse trailers, mobile breast exam RV, Mississippi State University mobile veterinarian trailer, mobile pediatric surgery trailer, you get the idea. Of course people who buy from us get preferential treatment, but should they not?
Regardless of whether they bought the rv there or not if the company makes a statement to work on yours they should work on it. Being lied to sucks and ruins peoples plans, vacations, family time and use of the rv. I will never go back to Lazydays because I was lied to for almost 5 months when my RV was going to be ready. They offered me $200 for my "inconvenience". I have already talked 2 people out of buying class a rvs there. I will continue talking to as many people as possible to warn them of this type of activity. They are not to be trusted. I know we all need to work and make a living. I would not work at a place like Lazydays or where you are working or where the OP was buying at. There is so much work out there you can work for yourself working on RVs and have a good reputation.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Regardless of whether they bought the rv there or not if the company makes a statement to work on yours they should work on it. Being lied to sucks and ruins peoples plans, vacations, family time and use of the rv. I will never go back to Lazydays because I was lied to for almost 5 months when my RV was going to be ready. They offered me $200 for my "inconvenience". I have already talked 2 people out of buying class a rvs there. I will continue talking to as many people as possible to warn them of this type of activity. They are not to be trusted. I know we all need to work and make a living. I would not work at a place like Lazydays or where you are working or where the OP was buying at. There is so much work out there you can work for yourself working on RVs and have a good reputation.

Where did I say we wouldn't work on a unit? I think I was pretty clear that we work on anything and everything. As far as you wouldn't work where I work, that's fine, but I love where I work, and am damn proud to work there. I am sorry you have had a bad experience at your dealership, but to assume all dealerships are operating the same is wrong.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #38

It has been my experience that if I ha a problem with any of the big three pickups. I call a local dealer with a issue. They give a appointment according to there work load. Never have been asked if I "Bought" it there. Told this to a shop supt. At a RV dealer and he kinda just looked at me. Not much of a reply.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #39

I don't know how the RV industry is setup. If my memory is correct one of the major auto companies used to have this type of problem because they fronted the dealers some money for warranty work at time of sale. (Horrid idea IMHO.) Anyhow some of the price difference between dealers was by planning on not servicing/repairing if they could help it. Is something like that going on in the RV industry?!

Also is there a way to find out/confirm where you can get service before purchase? I know one dealer we have talked with showed us an app. for independent dealers that helped folks find nearest service if they bought from others in the network.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The issue is not how big you are. The issue is whether you are their guy or not.

Chances are you will not do enough business to make any difference to them as few of their customers will buy more than a couple rv's in their lifetime. They know that. They know they have to keep their customers happy. I'd give the guy a star for being up front with you. A lot will just take in your rv and put it in the back lot until they get around to it. Say next winter when things slow down.
Northmark thanks for the input . But I define the Big Dog as the Guy. Sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
You may have hit on the reason dealer #2 gave you a better price. Being 500 miles away, perhaps he knew you would not likely be back for warranty work so hence the better price.

If a dealer is swamped with warranty work he seems reasonable to put out of town buyers at the back of the line. So he puts you at the back of the line where you belong, then later that day a guy that bought from him last week has a problem, does he tell that guy you're behind the guy that bought 500 miles away because he got a better deal?

I do feel you're pain in this and it's been discussed so many times on this and other forums it seems it's a common problem. It would be nice if the manufactures would just make it right the first time. But that's not the issue.
So you might call the manufacturer and ask if warranty work can be done at non-dealer repair shops. You might get better service and a quicker response time.
Timjet thanks for the feedback . Both are local dealers never said 500 miles apart ?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Ran into this attitude within a week of taking delivery of our RV. Had a warranty issue where the dash air/heat/defroster would not work. This was in January, by the way.
Took delivery in Texas and made it to Maryland before it became a real issue due to weather. Called a dealer in Maryland, Leo's Vacation Center, and they refused to even look at it even for warranty items. Thor said their hands are tied and can't force them to look at it.

So far this is the only situation I've dealt with. I just wrote that dealers name on a piece of paper and struck a line through it. Will never do business with them and would encourage others not to as well.

Now, I fully expected to be put at the back of the line and was ready for that. I was not ready to be flat out refused.
Wow that is horrible, perhaps a new level of trailer trash has been established.

Tags
service