Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Sewer hose

I have had several brands of sewer hose and they all seem to go bad in a short time due to the sun hardening them, bad fittings or a hole. I have been looking at the hoses I see offered at the different places and reading the literature. I am seriously condidering the Thetford Smart Hose. I looked at it in camping World the hose seems tough and fittings easy to connect.

I would appreciate advice from folks who have this hose or other suggestions. I'm tired of going through hoses so fast.

Thanks,
Buzz and Diane
"Color Us Gone"
infinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

I also looked at that hose but didn't purchase it. Instead I got a similar heavy duty one, different brand and less money, from from Wally World. Only had it for six months but so far I like it. The connections are good and tight and have gaskets in them so they don't leak, but they are a little difficult to un-do until you use them a little. The hoses are heaverier duty than the standard hoses and I like how they snap/click together to store and/or for use.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #3

I've had very good luck with Rhino hoses...even stepped on one by accident and am still using it without any problems.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #4

sewer hose

If you want a quality sewer hose that eliminates a lot of mess take a look at www.polychute.com . They are pricey , however those that have bought them are really happy with there purchase. Good luck
shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Different approach but have had the same hose now for 4 years. Check out the Sewer solution.

SewerSolution
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have had a number of Wal-Mart/Camping World/you name it specials and they all fall under the 'they're thin, cheap, and leak eventually (sooner than later)' category.

We also have a RV Sanicon macerator so I can speak to it with some familiarity also.

That said, one of the fastest ways to get a 'discussion (read argument)' going is to say this system is better than that system.

So with that caveat, here goes. I believe you get a more efficient tank emptying using a 3" hose that allows a rapid evacuation of the black tank contents. That way there is less chance of solids/paper to cling to the walls of the tank. Sp, when we are camped close to the sewer drain, I use the Rhino Flex system from Camco RV that I got at Camping World, it is available elsewhere. It is tough, the hose is remarkably rigid and yet still flexible, and it is easy to assemble/disassemble with no leaks. I really like it.

At home I need to pump the poop at a distance to reach my sewer so I use the RV Sanicon and it works well for that purpose.

Just my 2 cents. Hold the slings & arrows please.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the Rhino Flex hose from Walmart. Looks as though it will last for years, but when it goes bad I would purchase the Polychute with the smooth interior.
Happy Trails, Joe
Old 02-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie View Post
I've had very good luck with Rhino hoses...even stepped on one by accident and am still using it without any problems.
Same here, very tough. Also, each link snaps open so it expands from 4' to 10'...or vice versa.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rhino, snaps out and snaps,in and no problem with deteriation. I only use it to dump and then put it away. I never leave it out.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #10

Rhino flex !!! expands to the size that you want and packs away nicely, up to 15'. $29.99 to 44.99
wercruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also posted this in a similar thread at FMCA for those of you that might think you're seeing double:

Well, after Gary Bunzer's endorsement of the product, I sprang for the big bucks and got the Polychute and the extension hose. It may have been overkill, but I imagine this will be the only set I'll ever have to buy. I like that both ends are sealed when stored, and the smooth interior.

I get quite a few questions about it probably because of it's bright tourquoise color and big shutoff valve. It does seem to draw attention, and even several conversations. Imagine that - conversations about sewer hoses! Isn't retirement great?

I'm probably the only person I know who worries about his sewer hose being stolen.

Go ahead - call me a fool, but I smile every time I use it.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyWJones View Post
I'm probably the only person I know who worries about his sewer hose being stolen.
We plan on buying one and I laughed when I read this.

Stephen
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
3" irrigation PVC pipe as sewer hose

I heard someone talk about instead of that type of hose they used 3" PVC pipe, because it has a smooth bore and allow for a clean emptying without solid getting caught in the fold, and I thought that was a great idea, but I wonder how many configuration would I need in order to hook up to as many different system in the RV parks and or campground.

I would think that depending on where I park how close etc, the amount of pipe and the configuration would change, and that could take a lot of different size pipe and fitting, has anyone done this and if so can you provide me with better detail and how you use it and how many fitting and sizes of pipe you carry. Also after camping where do you store it, and doe it create a problem with order?

I have yet to go on my maiden voyage, but I hope to figure this out beforehand.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Polychute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
I heard someone talk about instead of that type of hose they used 3" PVC pipe, because it has a smooth bore and allow for a clean emptying without solid getting caught in the fold, and I thought that was a great idea, but I wonder how many configuration would I need in order to hook up to as many different system in the RV parks and or campground.

I would think that depending on where I park how close etc, the amount of pipe and the configuration would change, and that could take a lot of different size pipe and fitting, has anyone done this and if so can you provide me with better detail and how you use it and how many fitting and sizes of pipe you carry. Also after camping where do you store it, and doe it create a problem with order?

I have yet to go on my maiden voyage, but I hope to figure this out beforehand.
If you want a smooth inside and still want something that will stretch to the correct length get the Polychute. It is the only premium hose with a smooth interior. Watch the demo video here: Polychute

Happy Trails, Joe