Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sewer hose storage issue

Coachmen strikes again. Or maybe this time it's Camco and Rhinoflex.

We have 2 black tanks, one in the rear of the unit and one mid-ship with the gray tank. Coachmen put these pipes into each bay to hold the sewer hoses. In theory it's a good idea. The hose stays connected and you just swivel the pipe out to make the final connection to the sewer. My Rhinoflex hoses fit into these pipes but the bayonet ends don't meaning that we can't put the cap back on the pipe . The pipes are 4 inch diameter. I looked for a 5 inch end but the only thing available is a 6 inch end. It would end up costing us over $50 in fittings and adapters to convert it to a 6 inch end. It would also look a bit strange with such a huge end on it. We have used the Rhinoflex hoses for many years and have a lot of fittings for them. I'm not entertaining the thought of new hoses at this time.

This is the connection point for the gray and black tank.

Unless someone has a solution that we missed, we're thinking of this fix. We want to take those pipes off. There will be 2 big holes left in the bottom of 2 bays. I'd fill them up with boating deck plates. Then what we'd like to do is extend the hose connection out of the bay to the bottom of it by adding pipe to the existing hose connection and pipe it through the deck plate to a new hose connection. Hopefully that made sense. Why connect outside of the bay? The current connection is a deep reach into the bay. A real pain in the neck to get to. We were hoping to keep the hose connected to the connection but that doesn't seem possible with what Coachmen provided.

Does this seem like a reasonable fix or is there something else we should look at?

Thanks
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #2

I also had the same problem so what I did was just connect the sewer hose to the drain connection when I drain the tank, then close everything up and store the hose. I do this each time I need to drain the tanks.

It also eliminate the big black pipe under the storage compartment from rubbing the road on big bumps.

You could also remove the piping from below the storage compartment and put a sliding cover plate over the hole. Then when you connect your sewer line you can just feed it through the sliding plate, then slide it shut when finished.

A sliding cover plate like on a travel trailer main electrical cable cover.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
I also had the same problem so what I did was just connect the sewer hose to the drain connection when I drain the tank, then close everything up and store the hose. I do this each time I need to drain the tanks.

It also eliminate the big black pipe under the storage compartment from rubbing the road on big bumps.

You could also remove the piping from below the storage compartment and put a sliding cover plate over the hole. Then when you connect your sewer line you can just feed it through the sliding plate, then slide it shut when finished.

A sliding cover plate like on a travel trailer main electrical cable cover.
I guess I'm trying to make the hookups as easy as Coachmen though they should be. The other issue is that when you take the caps off you get some leakage past the gate valves (yep, already happening in a 2015 RV). We'd like to get the connection outside the bay so we don't have to wipe down the bay every time after draining the tanks. I know we should clean the gate valves and I probably will if we do extend the connection outside. I think for now we either leave it as is or get rid of the pipes and figure out what to do from there. Call me lazy but I can't stand the hose hook ups. They put them so far into the bay. That is how we came up with the idea of relocating them to the outside. I liked the ones on my old travel trailer, on the outside and easy to get to.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
....My Rhinoflex hoses fit into these pipes but the bayonet ends don't meaning that we can't put the cap back on the pipe ..........
Crankshaft--- I also prefer the heavier, stiffer hoses like Rhinoflex, but they do have large, bulky end fittings. I have very limited space in which to make the connection where my hose enters the bay just below the knife valves. What I've found- and you might try-- is the "Dominator" line of hose by Valterra. They use the same heavy duty flex hose but have a smaller fitting. If it fits your purpose, you would only need to add one section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
....We have used the Rhinoflex hoses for many years and have a lot of fittings for them. I'm not entertaining the thought of new hoses at this time. .........

Rhinoflex does not use a unique or proprietary style of fitting. They DO make their fittings more bulky, but the basic attachment mechanism is standardized. Several mfgrs make sewer hose with that same interchangeable type of bayonet fitting. With the exception of very tight quarters as discussed above, your existing Rhino fittings will be compatible with similar bayonet fittings from other companies.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Crankshaft--- I also prefer the heavier, stiffer hoses like Rhinoflex, but they do have large, bulky end fittings. I have very limited space in which to make the connection where my hose enters the bay just below the knife valves. What I've found- and you might try-- is the "Dominator" line of hose by Valterra. They use the same heavy duty flex hose but have a smaller fitting. If it fits your purpose, you would only need to add one section.

Rhinoflex does not use a unique or proprietary style of fitting. They DO make their fittings more bulky, but the basic attachment mechanism is standardized. Several mfgrs make sewer hose with that same interchangeable type of bayonet fitting. With the exception of very tight quarters as discussed above, your existing Rhino fittings will be compatible with similar bayonet fittings from other companies.

That's it exactly. The Rhinoflex ends are big and bulky. They are very sturdy,so it's a tradeoff. So far I haven't found a sewer hose setup that is better. I will check with Valterra to see what type of ends they have available. There may be an end out there that will fit the Rhinoflex hose but be a bit smaller. Hopefully it seals well on the hose too.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can tell you that right now, as we speak, I have about 20 ft of sewer hose running from my coach; comprising 10 ft of Valterra Dominator (red fittings) exiting the coach, attached mid-way to 10 ft of Rhinoflex (Orange fittings) running to the sewer ground port. The connections match perfectly.

I get the sense you are talking about perhaps buying the Valterra end fittings to attach to your existing hose. This is not doable. In their top-of-the-line hoses Valterra uses factory attached end fittings, permanently bonded by machine and not demountable or replaceable. Also virtually leakproof. They are, however, standard bayonet fittings that will properly attach to just about anyone else's hose fitting.

2004 Element
Old 09-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On mine have a short piece of red Val. going thru pipe w/ the inside end always hooked up just take off cap & add rhino to get to sewer. all sewer fitting are interchanable dosent matter on brand
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the Blue Line fittings. They just press together and fit in most storage pipes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I can tell you that right now, as we speak, I have about 20 ft of sewer hose running from my coach; comprising 10 ft of Valterra Dominator (red fittings) exiting the coach, attached mid-way to 10 ft of Rhinoflex (Orange fittings) running to the sewer ground port. The connections match perfectly.

I get the sense you are talking about perhaps buying the Valterra end fittings to attach to your existing hose. This is not doable. In their top-of-the-line hoses Valterra uses factory attached end fittings, permanently bonded by machine and not demountable or replaceable. Also virtually leakproof. They are, however, standard bayonet fittings that will properly attach to just about anyone else's hose fitting.

Yep, I found out last night that there are no Dominator ends available. That is one thing this industry did get correct, standerizing the sewer hose connections. Imagine what a mess it would be if there were different types and sizes. I have have no problem buying 2 Dominator extensions except for the fact that I just bought a Rhinoflex 10 foot extension and turned it into 2 5 foot extensions with 2 new fittings. The DW would not be happy with me at all. Although this appears to be the cheaper way to go vs removing and replumbing the connection outside the bay. Gotta do something and this seems the best way to go.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
On mine have a short piece of red Val. going thru pipe w/ the inside end always hooked up just take off cap & add rhino to get to sewer. all sewer fitting are interchanable dosent matter on brand
Just bought 2 Valterra Dominator 5 foot extensions from Amazon. I hope these fit. These hoses seem to get better reviews here and on Amazon than Rhinoflex.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
We did the same thing to ours...fitting fits in side black pipe (insert hose from Walmart in pipe first,then attach fitting) when time to dump, attach your hose of choice, dump, detach , push brown hose in tube & cap. put caps on both ends of other hose and store. No more bay mess.
IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF COACHMEN WOULD ASSIST ON THIS :(
pgomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #12

The rinoflex have large taps that prevent it fitting in the round storage but easy grip for tired hands.

Home Depot and others have plastic post covers that are 4 inch or so square that work great.

Have one and is a project for future as ours is under coach...but they can be mounted almost anywhere.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sewer hose storage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
The rinoflex have large taps that prevent it fitting in the round storage but easy grip for tired hands.

Home Depot and others have plastic post covers that are 4 inch or so square that work great......

TQ, they're actually 5" vinyl fence post sleeves, available at Lowes, HD, or elsewhere. Come in 8 ft length, white, with end caps also available. About $25 ea with end caps, iirc. They are available in colors, but considerably more $$. Far cheaper to buy white and a spray can of plastic paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443976633.021972.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	108747

I mounted three across the bottom of my coach. Very useful for not only sewer pipe, but also anything you have that is long and thin. TIP: also buy a length of cheap u-shaped vinyl gutter for each unit. This will act like a sliding tray inside the storage tube, making access easier and helping you avoid losing short things in the middle of the tube.

You can have one or both end caps removable. I have both removable so I can hose them out periodically if necessary. I know guys who spent many dollars on fancy, long locking pins to secure these, but I just drilled a hole in each side, and I run a length of black 14ga wire through and fold the ends. Works fine.

2004 Element
Old 10-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #14

I also have the Rhinoflex sewer hose with a extra length just in case. The ends are too big to fit the compartment I had so I took some 3 inch PVC pipes,90 degree elbows, glued these together and then used the Jig saw to cut the opening to just drop the hoses inside pipe. these are screwed inside the water bay door. Works great and are where I need them all the time. No need to go to back or under MH to get them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150616_133455 (640x360).jpg
Views:	4338
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	108775   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150616_133502 (640x360).jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	108776  

High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags