Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Sewer issues

Took my new motor home out for our first outing and was dismayed to find that the kitchen sink drains into the black water tank! (My rig had two lavies- two black tanks and two grey tanks). Having my kitchen plumbed directly into the black tank is a sanitary disaster waiting to happen as well as being damned inconvenient having to dump nearly everyday.
Did somebody screw up or is this normal?
Grossed Out!!
rtlowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlowell View Post
Took my new motor home out for our first outing and was dismayed to find that the kitchen sink drains into the black water tank! (My rig had two lavies- two black tanks and two grey tanks). Having my kitchen plumbed directly into the black tank is a sanitary disaster waiting to happen as well as being damned inconvenient having to dump nearly everyday.
Did somebody screw up or is this normal?
Grossed Out!!
What brand of NEW motorhome are you referring to.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

why would it be a 'disaster'?

our gray tank fills much quick than our black tank, I wish our kitchen drained into the black tank like yours...

and yes, for many manufacturers, and different floor plans, it is normal
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

our gray tank fills much quick than our black tank, I wish our kitchen drained into the black tank like yours...

Assume the disaster would be the black tank backing up into the kitchen sink if there is not a check valve in the drain line.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Assume the disaster would be the black tank backing up into the kitchen sink if there is not a check valve in the drain line.
that won't happen i guarantee it. if it ever happens, the juicy stuff will run out of toilet, far before reaching the kitchen sink
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
that won't happen i guarantee it. if it ever happens, the juicy stuff will run out of toilet, far before reaching the kitchen sink . but that is still a disaster though.
I'd want that guarantee in writing with a cash security.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

Ditto. I'm constantly draining our grey tank and cursing my nearly empty black tank not available to share some of the waste load and reduce the number of dump cycles required of my present setup.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
I'd want that guarantee in writing with a cash security.
before i wrote the guarantee, i'd collect the premium past due for 12 months
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

We normally kept the grey water valve open with a 3/4" garden hose for drainage; washing machine, showers, dish-washing filled the tank too fast. But now in the new Miramar 34.1, with four tanks, we can'do that any more. We can keep the shower drain open (it's in the rear). The kitchen sink, the middle privy basin and middle toilet drain into the black tank. There's a substantial grey water tank in mid-coach but it only seems to be used for the laundry. It just feels wrong.
rtlowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the plumbing in your stick house, it all connects to the same sewer pipe. Nothing bad is going to happen as long as you keep some water in the P traps under the sink drains. The water prevents sewer gas from escaping through your drains. Same as in your house. We purposely hooked our grey water tank to our black water tank to take advantage of the wasted storage space in the black tank. Our grey water tank used to always need dumping and our black water tank would only be a quarter full. By connecting the 2 tanks we gained a couple days before needing to dump.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
How could that actually happen?
I'm sure that the toilet would overflow well before it ever got to the height of the sink.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Ditto. I'm constantly draining our grey tank and cursing my nearly empty black tank not available to share some of the waste load and reduce the number of dump cycles required of my present setup.
I always wondered why there wasn't a valve for that. Like you should be able to transfer some over if you are in pinch and need some extra space. Of course being gray water you could get away with dumping it in a drain or out into a grassy area and not hurt anything.
Knoxie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree completely!
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #14

My toilet has a mechanical flapper the keeps water in the bowl and hopefully overflow waste out. They are not the same as a residential toilet, or am I missing something.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote