Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Sewer problems

I know this may sound crazy, but when I flush my toilet little black gnats fly up from the tank. What am I to do, have never seen this before.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have drain flies. The easy way to kill them is to mix a strong solution of chlorine bleach and water and put it in the tank. Let is set for a day with enough water to cover the bottom an inch or so. Fill the tank up and let it set another day or two. Then dump and flush. It should get rid of them. They probably came up through the open hose when you were at a campground.

Ken

Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

And be sure to leave your dump valve closed until you actually need to dump.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
To get rid of them immediately and give you time to do the above flush with bleach try spraying a flying insect spray down into toilet. The chemicals might not be good for your toilet system but it works, I've done it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You have drain flies. The easy way to kill them is to mix a strong solution of chlorine bleach and water and put it in the tank. Let is set for a day with enough water to cover the bottom an inch or so. Fill the tank up and let it set another day or two. Then dump and flush. It should get rid of them. They probably came up through the open hose when you were at a campground.

Ken
Most likely correct. I never leave my drains open when at rv park because of this very reason. I'll drain them every few days if needed.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
While most likely gained through the stinky slinky left open, it's not unheard of them coming down the rooftop vent pipe to the black tank. Bleach will take care of the flies, larvae and eggs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You have drain flies.
Ken

That's so much nicer of a name then what I've heard them called
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #8

After seeing cockroaches the size of teacup Chihuahuas living under a CG's sewer cap, I never leave the manifold dump valve open. We have two 40gal gray tanks and two 40gal black tanks, each with a 'T' handle and valve. All stay closed until it's time to dump. AFAIK, no 'drain' flies or CRs in any of the tanks...and I'd like to keep it that way...

Things really are bigger in Texas!

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #9

Everybody always says "don't leave your tank valves open". I have never ever left my tank valves open and I have gotten sewer gnats more than once. It only takes one pregnant female getting past the valve to start an infestation.

How easy they are to get rid of depends on where they set up housekeeping.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
We usually leave the gray valve open with no ill effects, but along these same lines, I've never understood the benefit of those hose slopes that obviously keeps the drain clear. I mean, now you've lost a natural water trap, like most every sewer drain has in some fashion and has to help, even if the CG's sewer system has a trap at each site.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote