Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

sewer system

I keep smelling sewer inside our coach. I have a 2007 beaver contessa 42ft and it has two vents on top of the coach and i want to know if you can put a snake down each trap to see if they are pluged or is that dangerous to do. My vents on top are the T style and do not even know if i can get a snake in the vents. Anyone else have this problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
KIX

If your tanks are empty you can put a water hose down the vents......just understand that the hose will fillyour tanks so don't let it run while you go have a cold one.
Unless you have a leak in the black tank dump valve area another source of the smell inside the coach is the drain vents under sinks. It is about 3" tall usually PVC and loosely screwed into the sink drain lines. They're only a few bucks so replacing them is not a big expense but you've got to find all of them.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ken, do you have a washing machine in your MH? If so and you haven't used it in a while the water dries out of the drain trap and the sewer gas comes up the drain pump and can really stink up the inside of a MH. You you have a washing machine then run it through a quick cyle and see if that fixes it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

thanks for that offer Mike and yes we use the washer often so that is not the problem, but thanks anyway.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken bauer View Post
I keep smelling sewer inside our coach. I have a 2007 beaver contessa 42ft and it has two vents on top of the coach and i want to know if you can put a snake down each trap to see if they are pluged or is that dangerous to do. My vents on top are the T style and do not even know if i can get a snake in the vents. Anyone else have this problem.
Do you smell it after driving? If so, it's probably just air getting pushed back down the vent tubes. They sell all sorts of little propellers, etc to prevent that. Check CW.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The other trick is when hooked up at a campground keep the black and gray drain shutoff valves closed so the sewer gas from the campground system cannot be pushed up into the MH. I just drain the gray everyday and the black about once every three days.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a stationary T on the roof that could be your problem. When the wind is from a direction that can blow into the T it forces sewer gas into the coach. There are gadgets, which are quite successful, which attaches to the top vent(replaces the T) and carries the gas away from the vent no matter which way the wind blows.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken bauer View Post
If you keep your toilet (black water) tank open all the time while using the RV (or the prior owner did) then you probably have waste adhered to the black water tank bottom and sides. This will cause the stink to exit the roof sewer vents and possibly come right back into your bathroom skylight vent. If you smell sewer a few feet outside your RV then look at that.

If your toilet does not hold water after flushing and leaks down the you have a problem with gas getting into the bathroom. If this is happening this is a problem you can fix free and easy. Let me know.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #9

I took my water hose and put it down each vent and by golly we do not smell anything any more. May have been something in one of the vents on top of the roof. Will see what its like in a couple days. Do you think something could have been in the vent. Thanks to kix for that information.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #10

I've seen mud-daubers,attracted to sewer vents, maybe a screen is in order.
Also your grey tanks can smell just as bad as your black. I use a dozen denture cleaner tabs to a 1/4 tank of water in the grey, 20 min drive then dump, before storage. Helps the sensors too.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #11

We had a persistent smell in the bath room, turned out that the plumbing in the under sink closet has a small stack with a valve on top that should allow air into the plumbing system but prevent gas from escaping. The valve can be dislodged if you are putting stuff in the closet. I saw it sitting on the floor of the cabinet and thought nothing of it until it was pointed out by a repair guy.

Put it back on and the problem ended. I also added one of the directional vent caps on the roof to replace the t-cap as noted earlier.

By the way Greg, interested to know if there is an easy and cheap fix for a ball valve in the toilet that does not seal.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #12

replaced the T on the roof vents and the problem is now solved
Old 06-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
List of suspects:
Washing Machine drain pipe
Vacuum Breakers under sinks and other places.
Poor seal on toilet
Broken many things
BATTERIES (Believe it or not) (Sulfur Dioxide, essence of rotten eggs)
Clooged vents
Other source not sewer (IE Rotten Egg down behind something)