Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

Shade for side windows up front

We have a 33' Winnebago Sightseer and have problems with the sun coming in the front side windows on the driver and/or passenger side. It really interferes with driving at times. What do you folks use to make shade on the sides?

The front shades don't flip to the side as they do in cars.

We have thought about "baby shades" to mount up on the windows when needed, but I thought I'd toss it out here.

Thanks!
AnnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
KIX

Maybe a Velcro-in panel made from sun shade mesh material. Either attach with Velcro or maybe even snaps. You could make it so it could be used on either side and not have to make two.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieM View Post
We have a 33' Winnebago Sightseer and have problems with the sun coming in the front side windows on the driver and/or passenger side. It really interferes with driving at times. What do you folks use to make shade on the sides?

The front shades don't flip to the side as they do in cars.

We have thought about "baby shades" to mount up on the windows when needed, but I thought I'd toss it out here.

Thanks!
I bought a couple of the stick-on mesh baby shade type ones from another rv enthusiast website. Sticks right on the glass, and peels off easily, and can be restuck, works quite well.

Jim
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we had the Magne Shade made for the windshield we had the side curtains made so that they would be hung inside the coach. They attach to the glass with very strong magnets. Now when we drive down the road we can fold the bottom of the curtains up and attach to the top, making a very nice sunshade and still have half the window to see out of.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Bought two regular roll up shades from Home Depot, removed the shade from the roll. Replaced it with solar screen. The shades where cut to fit before hand and the screen material was stapled in it's place. Mounted above the windows and a couple of suction cupids on the bottom and you have a really reasonable, adjustable sunshade.
MattB101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My old adventurer had pull down shades for the sides. It had the side mounted mirrors so I could never pull it down more than half way.
New motorhome has the pull down type and the mirrors are out front so I can block the window completely with the solar shade to drive and still have great visiblilty.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ours has pull down shades on both front sides. Wish they were powered like the front ones, or at least had a string hanging down. Gotta stop the coach and stand up to pull em down, always forget.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #8

Fought the same problem on our F/Wood DP. Played around with a number of DIY "thingees"....didn't like any for a number of reasons. Then I found the Carefree of Colorado Soft Ascent Visor for the driver side window....and I love it. It works great and is easy to install. It comes in various widths to fit different widow sizes and can be adjusted easily while driving. The bottom part is a mesh material that is claimed to block out 80% of the sun's rays while still allowing a good view of the mirror. The top part is solid for complete coverage from the sun.

You can view the item on the Carefree website. Shop around the web for price....should be able to get one for about $90-$100. It looks "factory" and, IMHO, is worth a few extra bucks for something that works this well and works so easily. I did affix some velcro to secure the pull down to the bottom of the visor frame for appearance puposes. I also added a couple of sections of thin padding on the inside bottom of the frame to eliminate a bumping noise when the down visor made contact with the window frame when traveling. Very easy to do. I use the visor every time we travel, and I love it. Hope this helps....
Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will pull the curtains forward to block the sun sometimes. My mirrors are extended out in front of my windshield and I always use them to know what is beside me.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the sunshade mesh with suction cups. I purchased the sunshades a size larger for the windshield & side windows when we are setup & extra suction cups. Then I cut the excess off. About 6" from each piece. When we travel we install the 6" long pieces on the top of the side windows & across the top of the windshield. The mesh on the top of the windshield does not impact visibility, It can easily be seen thru but blocks the sun. My sunvisors do not cover the complete windshield & I need to standup to move them because they are so far from the drivers seat.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #11

Easy...easy....easy.... Purchased two 16" auto roll-up sun screens for about $5.00 each. Perfectly fit our 34" inch side window... Install with suction cups... Easy pull down and retrack when needed... Usually only need one or the other to block the sun depending on the angle... Have little or no effect on visibility...... Simple, cheap, very effective solution that can be purchased "anywhere" (auto stores, Wallmart, gas stations, Camping World, etc)

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I used this.....it was a windhield sunscreen that was meant to attach to one side of the windshield and accordion over to the other side where it sticks with velcro. I mounted it vertically and placed two pieces of velcro on the window sill. When I release it, it retracts upward and completely closes on its own. If I need to see out quickly, I just release it. It works great, but I do have the front mounted mirrors, so it doesn't interfere with my mirror useage.

You can buy it online. I just bough the shortest model.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Had velcro around the frame of the side windows. Worked well if you wanted the window completely covered or completely uncovered.

I now have screens which are mounted above and pull down to any height I desire. Much happier.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought some appropriate width old-fashioned roll up window shades (remember yours from the '50's and '60's). Screwed them in the frame, up high and only rolled them down to the level of the outside mirrors. Worked just fine.