Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Shade pro Topper awning material

Hey everyone, installed my main slide and bedroom slide topper awnings material the other day. $98 each & free shipping, they fit and the material looked to be the same quality as the original material installed on the A&E awnings we have.
It was fairly easy, I used the lever on the roller to release the tension of the extended slide by un winding it. I then slipped a piece of PVC pipe over the lever and let it come to rest in the gasket area of the slide to keep it from winding back up. I then pried open the crimp holding the awning material in the slot on the metal guard and pulled the entire strip of material out of each side. It wasn't quite as easy pulling the new material back in the retaining slots but a little help from my wife we slid it into position and recrimped the end of the slot. I doubt the fabric would walk back out of the slot but I did it any way. If you have the metal guard on your setup you have to tell them to send a bigger cord to install in the metal guard so the fabric wont pull thru the slot. Less than an hour to do the entire remove/ install. Just remember to measure correctly, you get what you order. If I had it to do over again I would add 1-1/2" to the width, the length was perfect. I think over time the old material shrunk a little and narrowed somewhat..shadepro.
I included a link in hopes it might help Ya'll save some money when the replacement time comes.
Mikee

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job Mike will add to Newmar QT's # 3 for members future reference.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not to rain on your parade BUT I had new slide toppers, patio & door awnings made up and installed by ShadePro back in 2009. They were the Linen fabric material exactly like what was originally supplied by Carefree when the coach was new.

Within a year or two, the thread started to ravel. Then in 2012 some of the seams started to come apart. I have had to do temporary repairs in a lot of places. Last year I had the main seam come apart during the night on my large roadside slide. I had to remove the two pieces and take it to a upholstery shop to have resewed and then re-installed.

I am currently on a long journey to Alaska from Southern CA and now the seam in the bedroom slide has ripped apart about 75% of the way across the topper. I plan to remove the entire bedroom topper and aluminum cover and store it in my trailer until I reach Florida next winter. I will deal with not having any topper for that time-frame which is a lot easier than trying to patch the POS material back together.

Once in Florida, I will have Chris Throgmartin from Stone Vos make me a complete set of all toppers and awnings for my entire coach. Everything that Carefree and ShadePro had previously done will be removed and thrown away.

I will NEVER purchase anymore fabric from ShadePro or Carefree.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My Carefree slide covers are less than 3 yrs.' old and the seams are coming apart, I don't know if it worth the time to send them back and try and get them to repair there shabby work or not.??
Old 04-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recovered my 2 driver's side slides last spring. I ordered them from Tough Top. The material is thicker they fit perfectly to about an hour to install both. They are vinyl but very heavy duty. I did have Shade pro install a new shade awning and metal cover in Coos Bay last summer. Hope the seams last for long time.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
My Carefree slide covers are less than 3 yrs.' old and the seams are coming apart, I don't know if it worth the time to send them back and try and get them to repair there shabby work or not.??
Double check me, but I think they only have a 2-yr warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #7

I have had Chris at StoneVoss replace my four window awnings and patio awning material two months ago. Top notch service and great products. We measured our four slideout toppers and will have them installed this fall.
We did a color change on the awnings and it came out beautiful!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
link that works

ShadePro Inc.
maybe this one will work.
After reading the other post I'm not sure you will want to click it.
Oh well,even if they do fail early it was not that expensive to give them a try.
At least I got the old torn& brittle ones off the coach, they look so much better.
Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning