Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
When did your problem start? Can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or seat of your pants? It has to be rotating problem if you feel it at different speeds. Hope this helps.

D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #16

If the vibration cannot be felt below 50 MPH and goes away above 70 MPH you have a dynamic balance problem. In other words the wheels are vibrating in and out instead of up and down while rolling at these speeds. Wheel bearings could cause this or a VERY VERY worn steering box. However it is most likely caused by out of round tires or a poor balance condition. Have these tires been balanced on a " Road Force " type of balancer to eliminate concentricity ( un-equal road force variation ) issues in the tires?? Also when they balance them are they using a bolt on adapter that attaches by the lug stud holes in the wheels or are they simply using a centering cone in the center hole of the wheel? They must use an adapter, center holes in wheels are often "off center" causing balancing problems.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoupar3 View Post
This is the 4 th set of tires on front end .
I think this should safely eliminate tires as the cause.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoupar3 View Post
After 2 sets of tires, Pittman arm changed, shocks changed, and tiers balanced and rebalanced. Now mechanic says it is the steering gearbox causing the vibration, the last shop said it may be a bent rim. RV starts vibration at about 50mph up to 70mph. I have an allegro 35' 2004 on a w22 chassis. Can a steering box cause this shaking? They say the steering box cost $3400.00
It sounds to me that you should find another shop that's Not guessing at the problem. A steering box does't cause a [vibration] it causes a side to side steering wheel movement.
You either have a wheel out of specs, or the most likely cause a DRIVESHAFT Problem.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #19

Have you tried to move the front tires to the rear? I had one Goodyear tire that was a problem child. Moved itto the inside dual position and things were much better.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #20

If you are wearing out tires on the inside or outside then you have a suspension problem!!! Alignment can cause a vibration in steering wheel if it is out enough. Sounds like you need to get the suspension checked out properly and quit letting people guess. Just my.02
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
OP has a Workhorse w-22 chassis, here is a thread and this post # 9 in middle of it, that may possibly cause a problem and also has other problem corrections also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I had the same problem. Bought it to one shop. Said I had a bent rim. I was traveling towards home in FL. so I just kept going. Went to Josam in Orlando. Rims were fine. My new tires were out of round. 2 tires out of 6. They were Goodyear 670.
He shaved them and made them round. Problem was solved.
One of the reasons I like Michelins, the tire shops tell me that consistently the Michelins are round and require less weight to balance
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #23

Shop manager drove it today. He called me this evening and said he wasn't convinced the steering box is the problem. He wants to keep it till next and check it out further. Shop is closed tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback, will let y'all know what I find out.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #24

Bad Kingpins could be the problem, but I don't know if your coach has kingpins.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #25

I got the RV out of shop today, 3 weeks in shop, they ruled out the steering box. They visually checked driveshaft and spun the front wheels in place and then checked all six tires for balance on a spin machine two tires on rear only out a couple ounces. The manager told me he didn't know what was causing the vibration.
I had asked him before to jack the rear up and run in place. He wouldn't do that. If any body knows of a good shop, let me know, I'm located in Hammond la. Y
Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #26

You didn't say how many miles you went on two set of tires.And did you mean 12 tires or a set of 4 tires.

When you say (frt end vibration) do you mean frt end shaking OR frt end vibration at certain speeds?

The reason I' ask is because these two terms means two different problems.

Vibration is IN. Motion condition. Frt end shake is looseness in the frt end components.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Checked the tie rod ends?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin View Post
You didn't say how many miles you went on two set of tires.And did you mean 12 tires or a set of 4 tires.

When you say (frt end vibration) do you mean frt end shaking OR frt end vibration at certain speeds?

The reason I' ask is because these two terms means two different problems.

Vibration is IN. Motion condition. Frt end shake is looseness in the frt end components.
I put a set of tires on (6 new tires) and it really shook bad. Tire shop rotated tires front to back and rebalanced, still vibrated at 60 mph.
Tire shop a month later put two more new tires on front. Still vibrated, he told me to ride on them a while,it didn't get any better. Tire shop told me I needed to buy the Michelin RV tire. He replaced the tires with them , six more new ones and $1500. More dollars. Still vibrated at about 55mph to about 70. Took it to truck shop few months later, changed Pittman arm and new shocks put on, still vibrated . Then most recently had in shop in Hammond, Big Wheel truck repair. They checked driveshaft and rebalance all tires, no help