Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #1

Share your Secrets/Specials for the RV just 1to3

Being Winter and we have all planned the Spring trips Let’s talk about the two to three things you discovered over the years that you always carry in the RV. Things that others shared with you and that you have found are just something you never thought about till you were on the road and have found they really come in handy.

Not your tools – Not the GPS – not those big things – But the little things you have discovered that really help to have/enjoy in the RV.

For me I’ll start off with the three that I always carry and continue to use;

#1 Museum Putty - https://www.lowes.com/pd/QuakeHOLD-Museum-Putty/3030373 - available at most big box stores or Amazon – Back in the Late 90’s we got back into the RV – having had one in some form or another for the last 50 years, it was always used for Family adventures/Tailgates/Ski trips/ crazy Family trips – none of which would be considered Relaxing Travel times – always filled to the roof with Kids and Stuff – never decorated or used like a Condo or a Home.

Well that all changed when we had both the Kids in College and the DW agreed to let me take some time off and travel. So I got the RV – She then decorated/finished it like the House. Flower pots – Lamps – all that stuff….. But every time we stopped everything had to be put away – Put in to that safe location (bed/shower) so we could travel – Then one day we are having a drink with a couple in California and their Coach looked like our (Lamps – Flower Pots – Pictures) all just set on the counter table tops, so I asked if they didn’t get tired of putting it all away? Reply it’s stuck there with Earth Quake/Museum Putty – Works better than Glue – Tried it and to this day we have all that stuff – Stuck there, just so much easier – We now can get set up and ready to stay or go in less than 10 minutes – Still Keep that Putty in the Coach, Just the BEST!

#2 Velcro - https://www.velcro.com/ – White – Black – Small – Large – Heavy duty – Regular – Just the Best! So many uses – In my Coach it will stick to the lining in the Basement – allowing me to keep lots of stuff in place. Add to it the fact that the Glue on the back of it will stick to almost everything and it will really stick.

So my story on Velcro is that it is the BEST thing to use to get rid of Squeaks – put the soft side between any two things that Rub - Rattle or Roll (RRR) and the Noise disappears. My best examples; Bumper that rubbed the Fiberglass on my old Trop – I – Cal Drove me nuts – but Velcro fixed it – TV rubbing against the wood – yep- Velcro silenced it – Loose/Rattling door stop in the TS – little Velcro and never makes a sound. So now I always keep some Velcro in the Basement Never Know when you Need it.

#3 Real Duct Tape - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...7792/100030120 - Silver Liner backed sticks and seals – first time every time.

Have you Wintered in your Coach? If so you likely already know about this tape and all the places it is needed in the RV – In 05 and 06 we spent our first Real Winter in the Coach – Golden Colorado – Yes -17 10 nights in a row – we learned what cold was – we found many of the places that were not sealed.

First was all the A/C ducts – nothing was sealed – air leaked everywhere – in or out there was Cold air in the Winter and Hot air in the Summer – You will be amazed at the lines that were just shoved on – and had fallen off – so I grabbed a pair of scissors and the duct tape and went to work – Just about everyplace I looked it was needed – including the Vacuum cleaner lines – So to seal it is Great but if you need something that will Stick to almost everything this is it – cracked the bumper/fender on the MDX once, taped it and spray painted it black lasted almost a year – only one person noticed the repair - till we got back and had time to have it repaired.

Those are MY stories - Share yours,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Stuff I take....

1. Baffin Cush Bootie .... never have cold feet, never have wet feet.... put feet in as you get out of bed... keep in until the day warms the place up!

2. Lots of small screws.

3. Reflectix ... cut to fit the windows (keeps out both cold and hot), cut to fit the walls/door inside the fridge/freezer, not shelves (can turn off every night even in summer heat), cut to line the back / top of cabinets (keeps out cold and heat). All attached with the velcro that was listed in the first post.

4. Moka Pot. Best coffee maker without using electricity.

5. Small Portable washing machine... and several wall string clotheslines... Nothing better than being able to wash your clothes yourself in your rig. However, you need to be at a campground as you will consume LOTS of water... (connect to bath sink, put drain hose in shower)

6. Ah yes... DW ... she does make the trip more enjoyable!
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

We also carry the OP's three plus "Gear Ties". These are like reusable twist ties but bigger. Comes in sizes from about 4 inches to 18 inches. The smaller ones go around some double cabinet door handles that have heavy items. Never have to worry about the doors coming open during travel. Use a larger ones through the fridge handles, same reason, and around two chair legs to keep them upright.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
VMSpc from Silverleaf.
Spotting Scope and Tripod.
Firestick.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #5

1.Clips - different sizes - everything from chip bags to large clips for attaching lights or clipping sections of dog fence together.
2. A lighter
3. Command hooks - great for hanging wash cloths in shower.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

1 Reflectix...in all the cabinets with outside walls.

2 5 gallon bucket ...to coil the sewer hose in.

3 Firelighter matches.. the ones that stay lit for 3-4 minutes.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #7

Bourbon, cigars and a pellet gun. 😀
Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Tequila, good wife and 40cal.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Zip ties, (all sizes), Duct tape, Portable, easy up, awning! (12'X14')!
Rail!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #10
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
Bungee cords. Small ones are used to hold broom, vacuum, etc in closet so they don’t move while traveling.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
1-vent "pillows"

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-...v+vent+pillows

2-Bed frame mounted shoe racks

https://www.amazon.com/Internets-Bes...hoe+hook&psc=1

3-flat coax

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Coaxi...+coaxial+cable
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #12

These things have made enjoying our MH a lot better.

Pneumatic Grease Gun
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tinted windows in the front cabin area and a tinted brow across the windshield

Sun Shades up front when we're parked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grease-2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	185397   Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield-shades-outside.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	185398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	185399   Click image for larger version

Name:	window-tnting.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	185400  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

Many of the above mentioned! Toss in a few odd ones:

-Collapsible rectangular container, that fits in the rinse side of the sink. Will rinse dishes until it is full to about 1 1/2 from the top, then carry it out to water the trees. This is while boon docking, and it really saves on the Gray tank.

-My wife loves her Dyson cordless, for quick and easy vacuuming.

-Our fold out wine glass shelf. In the slide, we have windows and valances on the front side of the slide. The valance is about 3" deep. We had a cherry wood signed shelf, just large enough to hold the DW's glass of wine (Or an occasional stronger adult beverage.). This is higher to fold in becomes recessed about 1/2" fro the leading edge of the valances. Fold out when we set up, fold down and out of the way when we're getting ready for departure. (We have two Flex-Steel recliners, that slide in and out of the way when traveling. A fixed wine glass holding shelf, would interfere with these recliners. So the fold out up/down shelf was a worth while investment.)

-X's 2 JBL Extreme BluTooth speakers. Set in 'stereo L/R' mode. When a campground position is far enough away to not bother a neighbor, these are set up about 15' away from our patio sitting area, facing towards us. I like music, and these JBL Extreme is a good compromise between space storage, while still producing more then acceptable outside listening.

-Amazing Campfire in A Can - We do prefer wood fires. But many locations will not allow them, and yet most will allow the propane fire.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many types of glues: clear silicone I use the most for water and air leaks, is removable by rolling it with thumb. Small tubes of super glue. Wood glue. Much more.
Many types of hooks: mount poles and hoses to walls to save floor space.
Metal shelving again to mount cans, jars, aerosoles to walls.
Many types of wire: temporary repairs electrical repairs, use as twist ties.
Lubs of every type: greases, motor oil, dielectric, spray, oil can, reduces squeeks, and makes moving parts work easier.