Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
SHEPPARD steering

So far from the prior posts SHEPPARD steering is not as good as TRW.
so what coaches do not have the Sheppard steering from the factory?

Are there any stock TRW coaches? Or is the only option to buy a coach and plan on swapping the Sheppard steering?

Looking at the threads on the swap process Monaco owners were doing the swap, do all Monaco's have the Sheppard?

kerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
So far from the prior posts SHEPPARD steering is not as good as TRW.

so what coaches do not have the Sheppard steering from the factory?

Are there any stock TRW coaches? Or is the only option to buy a coach and plan on swapping the Sheppard steering?

Looking at the threads on the swap process Monaco owners were doing the swap, do all Monaco's have the Sheppard?

kerry

Monaco's were mixed. The high end coaches were TRW. This did vary according to year. Monaco has a build sheet on file for coaches they built and the steering box is listed.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

Most truck chassis have the ability to mount several steering gear boxes to the same mounting holes... SAE (society of automotive engineers) in the HD truck industry has worked effectively to allow chassis builders several options in types of axles, drive systems that can be mounted in a chassis... there are at least 20 very good HD rebuilders in the industry across the country... they will have a cross charge to switch from one brand of box to another and in many applications can give you a HD unit that is an upgrade from the one you have...

When doing any kind of work like this ... always, that's always install a remote filter and spin on cartridge to protect both the pump and gear box... this is very cheep insurance for something the factory should have done... you not only filter the oil but usually add over a qt of capacity that allows the unit to run cooler...

Do a search for HD truck steering gear box rebuilders... scope out their web pages.. BTW most truck dealers, RV dealers, and auto parts stores have no clue... these rebuilders usually service independent repair shops and large fleets...

An example of a company I've used and trust... BAB Steering Hydraulics
14554 Whittram Fontana, CA 92335.... you can google them and see their web site..

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If you can get your steering box out. Ship it to Indianapolis Rack and Axle. I have Ford F53 Chassis and they rebuilt my steering box for $250.00.
I had to get it taken out and re-installed by a mechanic for $100.00.
I have since had a Truck Company Mechanic adjust this steering box to tighten up the tolerances. But. It works really good now.
Their number: 1-900-733-0215

Address: 2301 E. 44TH Street, Indianapolis, IN 46205

Good Luck.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yn1bennett View Post
If you can get your steering box out.
Thanks for the info, It now is in my data base for repairs.

The initial post is to find what model RV does not have the sheppard to avoid any swaps down the road. I'm not an owner yet, just defining what I want in my search for my new home.

kerry
Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My Beaver had TRW stock.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering