Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

Shock absorber and steering damper questions

Would like some comments on Bilstein shocks and steering dampers.
Wondering about replacing my shocks on 07 Georgetown 315, and adding their steering damper.
Does this steering damper have any comparison to SafTSteer? Do not believe my rig has a damper. Have no complaints of driveability like it is. Would it be safer and better over all?
Are Bilstein shocks superior to other brands? My previous rig (27' Brave) had Monroe gas magnums, drove it all over the country with them.
Thanks for all comments!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Re: Shocks

Hi. Just bought a used rig in AA condition. Factory shocks. Having done a lot of research, decided to change out shocks and add a Safe T Steer. When we phoned around and spoke with a couple of shops, one shop told us that he has a pile of new and hardly used Bilstein shocks in his recycle bin. He said that even though they are a bit more expensive, the Koni shocks are the best option.
Our install will be $3K CDN incl the Safe T Plus and labour. A good price for here.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi,
Is the $3k CDN for Bilstein or Koni shocks? In either case that quote seems a bit high to me. $3K CDN ~ $2400 US. I see Bilstein shocks for my 2011 Meridian for $360 for a set of 4 or $645 for Koni's (Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - KONI Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com). I paid just over $500 for a Safe-T-Plus a year and a half ago. I figure <$1200 for parts and at say $130/hour for labor for a generous 4 hours labor to install shocks and steering stabilizer it would come in well under $2000 US (~$2500 CDN).
I have researched shocks for my Meridian and ran into the Chevy/Ford discussion. Many opinions and everybody is right :-)
Here's a link to one discussion I found:
Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test | MotorHome Magazine
Let us know how this works out for you.
NMBluept is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnbrave1 View Post
Would like some comments on Bilstein shocks and steering dampers.
Wondering about replacing my shocks on 07 Georgetown 315, and adding their steering damper.
Does this steering damper have any comparison to SafTSteer? Do not believe my rig has a damper. Have no complaints of driveability like it is. Would it be safer and better over all?
Are Bilstein shocks superior to other brands? My previous rig (27' Brave) had Monroe gas magnums, drove it all over the country with them.
Thanks for all comments!
Most of the preference I have seen on this forum has been Koni shocks.
The dampner is just as the name implies. It simply dampens variations in road conditions especially when turning in one direction or the other.
The Safe-T-Plus is a dampener but it also contains a spring which returns the shock to center. This helps keep the steering wheel straight when a vehicle overtakes you at speed on a highway, if you overtake a vehicle, a gust of wind hits the side of your vehicle and most importantly (IMO) aids in keeping control if you have a front tire blowout.
I have the Safe-T-Plus installed on my class A. I did the install myself. Quite straight forward and easy I thought. It did help a bit on curves etc. but isn't the ultimate answer for the sway many folks encounter with their rigs. This seems to be corrected by the most part with the addition of a rear sway bar installation.
None of these fixes will make a MH handle like a sports car. Also the basic front and rear end alignment must be correct, the tires have to be inflated correctly and the ride height must be correct. Loading the rig must be done with care to be sure you have the weight of the contents distributed properly and within the listed capacities on the vehicles build sheet.
Lynn
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks to all who have shared here. Good info for all. We’re going Koni and steering stabilizer.

Have plans for rear sway bar if road test identify immediate concerns. The road test is included in the overall assessment, with us and the tech on board a loop the shop uses regularly. We will shop around the travel area we’re headed after the basic safety concerns have been addressed before purchasing some rear sway bars etc. But, we will do the sway bars.

She has brand new front brakes, as does the toad that comes with her and the Blue Ox setup.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments. The shock test link by NMBluept was interesting. Had no real idea how those things are made and how they work. Not looking for a harsher ride on the highway, and would like to eliminate the front end dip in low speed braking.
Still leaning toward the Bilsteins, but will explore the issue a little further. Replaced all my sway bar bushings after the last trip thru Canada and the UP.
May opt for the SafTsteer. Feel sure I can install it myself.
Thanks again!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Thanks to all who have shared here. Good info for all. We’re going Koni and steering stabilizer.

Have plans for rear sway bar if road test identify immediate concerns. The road test is included in the overall assessment, with us and the tech on board a loop the shop uses regularly. We will shop around the travel area we’re headed after the basic safety concerns have been addressed before purchasing some rear sway bars etc. But, we will do the sway bars.

She has brand new front brakes, as does the toad that comes with her and the Blue Ox setup.
You might also want to look at motion control units as an alternative to sway bar.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Motion Control

Thank you! Will google that. Any links to good/recommended products?

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Motion Control Units

Are these not for air suspensions? If so, don’t know the point of looking at them when considering shocks. ... any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Are these not for air suspensions? If so, don’t know the point of looking at them when considering shocks. ... any thoughts?
Yes they are for air suspensions.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider1946 View Post
Yes they are for air suspensions.

Yep, they are and my mistake. We have rear air bags in our RV..
Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CH
Rear track bar
SafetyTplus
Koni shocks

IMHO. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had Bilsteins on our MH and changed over to Koni.... Big difference and worth it.

You may want to check Roadmaster for your sway control. I installed the Reflex and it works fine.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Good luck
Old 03-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #14

If you have no handling problems as it is why change anything?Let the flames begin.
DAN33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, steering