Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknight View Post
Quietn. I felt the same way last year, when I wanted to change shocks. I saw all the hype about Koni and Bliestien. I decided since the coach came with Monroe and served it well for 50,000 miles they would serve for another 50. I made the right decision. My 2001 HR Endeavor road great and and I saved a bunch.
That's great, but you may not know what your missing! That's like saying since I've been with the same redhead for 20 years, I might as well get another redhead for the next 20. But you will never know what that cute little blond or brunette was really like. Variety is the spice of life. You only live once. Dump the Monroe's and jazz up your life.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #16

Just put Konis all around on our 2007 Damon Daybreak. Major difference is an understatement. Replaced the original Bilsteans. Still need to bring my tire pressures down a bit, but the expansion joint 'steering wheel dance' is greatly diminished.
Penguine Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #17

one problem is every brand or style of coach uses different sizes of shocks and what works good on one does not always work good on another as there are more variables to ride than just shocks...I am very happy with the new bilstiens on my coach..jeff
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I put up with the OEM Monroe's for about 10,000 miles and went with the Koni FSD's. I have about 4000 miles on the Koni's now and I am very pleased. I put Bilstein's on my last MH and while they were better than the OEM Sack's shocks they had a harsh ride.
I have 8 almost new Monroe's in the scrap metal bucket if anyone wants them.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had OEM Bilstein's, Monroe RV Magnums, Koni FSD's, I am now back to Monroe's. I fell for the FSD hype, I found them not to be up to the job and a total waste of money. May try the Comfertrac's that are made by Bilstein next. Since the stiff Bilstein's are still being made, one has to be sure they order the new version or else you probably will get the standard one's. Have noticed this on several websites.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought the Windsor last year the porpoising was very bad and potholes were "jarring" to say the least. I installed Bilstein shocks and they corrected the porpoising and helped with the potholes, but not as much as I had hoped for.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my original Sachs with Konis several years ago. The Konis helped with the sway and ended the porpoising. Can't say as they have done much for bumps where the sections on interstate don't match up. The only thing that seems to help there is to slow down, way down.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with the Koni's and wished I had gone back with the Bilstines

No help what so ever
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, lets say it again. Just because Bilsteins are installed on most F-53 chassis these days does not mean that those shocks are designed the same as other Bilsteins that you might buy as an aftermarket shock. To win a contract to supply those shocks Bilstein may have reduced the size and quality just to come in as the lowest bidder. I don't know the specs and doubt that one could find out exactly how they are designed. Maybe, just maybe some of you who changed to Bilsteins did get a better designed shock than came on other units from the manufacturer and you are happy.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I'm not saying that others are better or worse but just designed differently. Maybe somebody has a friend at Bilstein and can get the real information on the Bilstein shocks and shock choices for MH's.

Check out "Source engineering." They will design a Bilstein shock to your specific needs, weight, chassis etc. I don't know the price but they can do it.

TeJay
Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #24

^^^^^What he said! Road conditions, suspension components, wind, rain and other conditions all effect the way our rigs handle. Unless we are willing to continually change shocks, we must all deal with one compromise or another, agreed?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #25

With such divergent points of view,perhaps the answer may be in the chassis/shock absorber combination.Is the Bilstein choice better for one chassis and the Koni better for some other chassis.From my perspective the Konis that I chose are superior to the Munroes that they replaced. Koni is not a new name in the game.If you had the bucks,you could buy them in the 1950's.They were quality then and still are.On the other hand my Mercedes Benz was blessed with Bilsteins which worked rather well!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #26

When we bought our 96 Itasca 34' Suncruiser (48,000 miles) it road llike a buckwagon. I changed out what ever shocks were on it with Bilsteins and now we've put over 10,000 miles on it and I'm very happy with the ride.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknight View Post
Quietn. I felt the same way last year, when I wanted to change shocks. I saw all the hype about Koni and Bliestien. I decided since the coach came with Monroe and served it well for 50,000 miles they would serve for another 50. I made the right decision. My 2001 HR Endeavor road great and and I saved a bunch.
Have you ever tried Koni's...? They just might be better than what you've got. There's an old saying: If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #28

Thanks to each of you for your comments. I posted the original thread simply to provided specific feed-back with regard to the NEW Bilsteins I had installed on my coach. The specific performance issue I was the most disappointed in was in the Bilsteins ability to deal with front end porpoising. It was unfortunately as poor as the original Monroe shocks that came from the factory by Workhorse. I had changed them out many years ago with Monroe Magnums and the porposing was virtually eliminated. Undoubtedly I do drive too fast, according to my wife, but well within the speed limit. The overall ride with the Bilsteins was certainly comparable to the Magnums, but the porpoising alone will necessitate me replacing them. It is simply not acceptable. For anyone wondering, I have the following after market components in place on my coach: Ride-Rite airbags, Henderson sway bar, davis tru-trac and safety steer. My coach handles well, and I was not looking for anything from the shocks but a safe, stable ride. Once again thanks for all the comments and feed-back.
Quinten is offline   Reply With Quote