Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

SHOCKING Disappointment

Just returned from a 4000 mile road trip thru Washington, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. Many, many mountains and many bad roads.

Before I left I decided to go ahead and replace my ageing Monroe Magnums on my 36-37 ft. HR. The Monroes while seemingly still OK, had over 20k on them and as long as I was putting new tires all around, I thought I might as well replace the shocks as well.

I have been reading all of the comments on Koni, Bilstein, Road King and Sachs for several years now, attempting to make a decision on which way to go when the time came to make a change. I didn't care as much as the cost as the potential ride I wanted. I also saw the road test article that has been circulating for some time now comparing Koni, Bilstein and I think the third was Road King.

After much consideration I decided to go with the Bilsteins. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I wish now that I would have purchased another set of the Monroe Magnums. There was absolutely no improvement of any nature, and the porpoising control wasn't even close to as good as my Magnums.

Wow, I feel like I have been listening to a whole lot of hype out there about shocks, and went for it. Sadly, sadly disappointed and possibly will replace the Bilsteins with Magnums again. After all of this, I really can't understand why Magnums are not included in more of the comparison conversations going on.

No, I don't have any type of allegiance with Monroe, or with any other RV manufacturer either. I have been RVng for over 40 years now, with 12 of them in a Class A motorhome. If you are thinking about shocks, do your home work and good luck in your choice.
Quinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
After my research and due diligence, I chose Koni's.

The little bit of extra money you pay for the Koni's in my opinion paid off with stability, comfort and control.

No contest, Koni's will always come out ahead.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

I've replaced shocks on many, many, vehicles and I can honestly say that I've hardly ever felt much difference at all, on any of them...

Recently though (like 5 years ago), when I replaced the OEM shocks on my Class A with Bilsteins I did feel a difference. There at least, I could feel that the porpoising had stopped. And the roll I'd get when a truck passed was greatly reduced. That's about it.

Biggest difference in ride is almost always when I'd change tires. Not shocks.

Thanks for the post...but I think shocks are like those Chevy/Ford arguments. It's so subjective as to be meaningless.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

Our Newmar came with Bilsteins. Hated the ride. At 700 miles I broke down and installed a set of Koni FSDs. Worth every penny. Bilsteins went in the trash where they belong. They are cheap junk. Now we are happy campers.I had never heard of Konis until I got on this irv2 forum. I love you all. Great resource of knowledge and experience.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Winne UFO came with Bilstein's and the “porpoiseing” was horrible. Replaced with the Koni's and couldn't be happier.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Long story short. Replaced our Monroes with Bilstiens, two months later a maybe 500 mile replaced new Bilsiens with Konis. Konis have 40,000 miles on them. Couldn't be happier. Koni makes great shocks for MHs. Best money I spent with daily benifits.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Quinten,
I'm puzzled why after all your research you purchased Bilstein shocks! All the posts I've read members are replacing Bilsteins with Koni's. I did this and have been very pleased with the Koni's.

Please remember the expert evaluation articles one reads need to be taken with a grain of salt. One does not get their product included in the evaluation unless one advertises in the magazine. This means the evaluator is writing an article about advertisers (customers) of the magazine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does anyone use Road King?
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Too expensive and rated lower than Koni's.

Another older thread about shocks and comparisons.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/moto...ers-50294.html

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

The RV OEMs used Bilsteins on some models and as you'd expect, they wouldn't pay the price so they got what they paid for. Therefore, you read all these criticisms of OEM Bilsteins but the aftermarket shocks they make have a good reputation. And they are less expensive then the Koni's. That's why many 2nd set shock buyers go with Bilsteins. It's a matter of money to be sure, but there are also many criticisms of Koni shocks out there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

When we bought our '06 MH two years ago I was a shock illiterate. Like many I started reading forums and postings. I didn't realize that our MH had already been upgraded to Bilsteins sometime in the first 10k miles. I did know that I wasn't happy with the ride every little bump or joint was a jarring hit. Last month I decided that enough was enough and ordered new Koni's. the koni FSD shocks are definitely the way to go. Imagine my surprise when removing the old shocks to install the konis and discovering that they were Bilsteins. Our first trip with the Konis was a tremendous improvement. They really smoothed out the bumps and joints and took away the porpoise bounce.
I have also done the CHF, new poly rear sway bushings and fabricated my own rear track bar. All of this together has made a very enjoyable ride both from the drivers seat but also from the co pilot seat.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabitatGuy View Post
When we bought our '06 MH two years ago I was a shock illiterate. Like many I started reading forums and postings. I didn't realize that our MH had already been upgraded to Bilsteins sometime in the first 10k miles. I did know that I wasn't happy with the ride every little bump or joint was a jarring hit. Last month I decided that enough was enough and ordered new Koni's. the koni FSD shocks are definitely the way to go. Imagine my surprise when removing the old shocks to install the konis and discovering that they were Bilsteins. Our first trip with the Konis was a tremendous improvement. They really smoothed out the bumps and joints and took away the porpoise bounce.
I have also done the CHF, new poly rear sway bushings and fabricated my own rear track bar. All of this together has made a very enjoyable ride both from the drivers seat but also from the co pilot seat.
Forgot to add that I have a set of low mile Bilsteins that I would give to someone. I hate to throw anything in the trash if it is still usable. PM me if anyone is interested.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
The RV OEMs used Bilsteins on some models and as you'd expect, they wouldn't pay the price so they got what they paid for. Therefore, you read all these criticisms of OEM Bilsteins but the aftermarket shocks they make have a good reputation. And they are less expensive then the Koni's. That's why many 2nd set shock buyers go with Bilsteins. It's a matter of money to be sure, but there are also many criticisms of Koni shocks out there.
Bilsteins left such a bad taste in my mouth, thank you no more. One taste of crap is all I need. It's a disgrace to Newmar that they use such junk. And they do know how to charge, but not so much how to deliver. Maybe building them in China next year. Half of the parts come from there already! AT LEAST!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

Quietn. I felt the same way last year, when I wanted to change shocks. I saw all the hype about Koni and Bliestien. I decided since the coach came with Monroe and served it well for 50,000 miles they would serve for another 50. I made the right decision. My 2001 HR Endeavor road great and and I saved a bunch.
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote