Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Shocks

We have a 2015 class a Jayco Precept. It is great other than the ride. Has anyone replaced original shocks. And any other options to smooth out the ROUGH roads?
NanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #2

wow, that's shocking since Jayco promotes their 'special' ride and handling package built into every unit, as though it's something special compared to all others...

(Jayco's advertising on their website
"RIDE AND HANDLING. DEFINED."
[At Jayco, we believe the journey is just as important as the destination, which is why we've introduced an industry-first Ride and Handling package - the Jayco exclusive JRide®. Packed with ride-enhancing upgrades, get ready for a drive that'll move you...]

[Computer-Balanced Driveshaft]

Every Jayco motorhome driveshaft is balanced. This extra step, overlooked by many competitors, ensures the driveshaft is properly tuned to reduce shudder and vibrations, while ensuring power is efficiently transmitted to the wheels.

[Jounce Bumpers]

Jounce bumpers absorb impact and dampen excess road noise and vibration

[Standard Rear Stabilizer Bar]

Connecting opposite wheels together, a stabilizer bar adds rigidity to the frame, reducing sideways tilting when cornering.

[Heavy-Duty Front Stabilizer Bar]

This additional stabilizer bar adds further support and stability for even easier handling.

...so, are you saying that you think your ride is worse than other Class A motorhomes, or most others?
I can assure you that most, if not all, Class A Ford Chassis gas motorhomes all ride and drive about the same, no matter the manufacturer - and yes, road smoothness has a LOT to do with it. Having delivered both Newmar CanyonStar and Coachmen Mirada Select and Pursuit units from the factories to dealers, it's little difference once you're in the driver's seat.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
What the heck are they talking about regarding the driveshaft being balanced? I've driven vehicles with the driveshaft out of balance, and it is more than a minor annoyance.

Jounce bumpers are nothing more than another name for bumpstops. Pretty much every vehicle has them.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
ROUGH riding F53

I have a 27 foot Winnebago 27N, 2014 on a Ford F53 chassis, and while I love the coach, I hate the ride. It's okay on very smooth pavement, but that's tough to find anymore. I feel every rut and crack in the road.

I have decided to change out the factory Bilstein shocks, which I am told are the cheapest Bilsteins they make, and which are way too stiff for RV application, and maybe work better for a delivery truck.

The softest I could find are Monroe Gas-Matics, so after I get them on, I plan a 1000 mile trip and I will report back. They are cheap - around $60 each, and the experiment is easy to reverse if the MH handling is adversely affected.

I hope it helps a little, anyway! I will report back in Late May.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:15 AM   #5

While our '06 Pace Arrow is in for repairs, I'm having them install new shocks up front. The svc mgr said they install Koni shocks (I didn't ask what model) and owners are always amazed at the difference. Guess I'll find out soon.
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #6

We just had 8 shocks replace on our MH. Went with Source Engineering brand and did the top end ones. We drove from Coburg OR to Medford OR yesterday and can tell the difference. They are not cheap by any means but the ride has improved. We see how they do on the return trip to Alaska in a few weeks.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I have a 27 foot Winnebago 27N, 2014 on a Ford F53 chassis, and while I love the coach, I hate the ride. It's okay on very smooth pavement, but that's tough to find anymore. I feel every rut and crack in the road.

I have decided to change out the factory Bilstein shocks, which I am told are the cheapest Bilsteins they make, and which are way too stiff for RV application, and maybe work better for a delivery truck.

The softest I could find are Monroe Gas-Matics, so after I get them on, I plan a 1000 mile trip and I will report back. They are cheap - around $60 each, and the experiment is easy to reverse if the MH handling is adversely affected.

Don't buy Monroe as they only lasted about 5,000 miles on our GM 8.1 (22,000 lbs). I went to Koni and they rode like my present DP. I noticed the big difference, right away, when driving down I5 in Washington - no road thumps over the tar strips. The coach handled like a dream.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post

FWIW,
Traded our 2014 WBgo 26HE on a 2017 Coachmen Mirada 35LS... also on an F53 chassis...

Not sure what impact the age difference or mfr year would make, but the vista would tell you every crack in the road and vehicle passing (even motorcycles!)...

The new camper drives like a dream....
bargeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
I went to Koni and they rode like my present DP.
JCM, do you remember what model Konis they put on?
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
This my next upgrade...

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni...-12)?filter=20
Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced my stock Bilsteins with Konis and they actually made the ride worse. They are stiffer than the Bilsteins and a different design principle. They did help the side to side sway a little. I am going to go with SumoSprings to see if I can lessen the hard hits when going over bridge expansion joints and other road abnormalities. I have heard and read many good things about them. There are many threads on the topic.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Shocks make very little difference in the ride. They are there to reduce the tendency of the suspension to bounce and thus keep the wheels in contact with the road so you can steer and brake. If you are bouncing up & down several times after hitting a pothole. newer/better shocks may help the 2nf and later bounces, but you are still going to feel the pothole. If you feel every crack you drive over, there is no shock that will alter that.

A heavy motorhome body on a leaf spring suspension (all gas RVs and a few diesels) is not a recipe for a smooth ride on rough roads, or even on superhighways that have ribs between the slabs of smooth concrete.

Tire pressure is a major factor in ride comfort, so optimizing the pressure for the actual weight helps.

Lurching and swaying is a common complaint. Larger/better anti-roll bars will help a leaf spring suspension. Ride control valves are a great help on air suspensions.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagaron View Post
JCM, do you remember what model Konis they put on?
They were specific for the coach. They were not adjustable but specific for your chassis. They were yellow. They were the 2nd best mod I did to my Workhorse chassis. I replaced my GM headers with Banks ones - not the complete system just the headers. Made the unit go like a rocket(acceleration) from 60 to 80. It was safe to pass again.
The Monroes were dead in 5,000 miles. Bilstiens gave a rock hard ride and I felt every crack in the road.
Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #14

I switched from the stock Bilsteins to Konis. Aside from Centramatic Balancers, the only handling mod. I think it reduced the minor porpoising on some road joints, reduced the harshness as well. It was an acceptable mod, but not sure it was a big bang for the buck

Tags
shocks