Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #1

Shop Vac vs Compressed Air for Winterization?

Any one use a shop vac to suck the water out for winterizing? I have a compressor but its pretty small.

I have used shop vac to suck the water out lines in a house when soldering in a new shower valve and it worked pretty well there.

Thanks
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Two things I see wrong with this.

First, you would have to have an air tight connection (no vacuum loss), and second, there are back flow preventer units in-line on the water lines and I would guess that it would prevent the water from being sucked back through them.

However, give it a try and let us know how it works out for ya.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #3

I have not attempted to do that but I believe that a small compressor would probably work better. There are air fittings readily available in the RV shops to do that and you only need about 30 pounds of air pressure.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I have not attempted to do that but I believe that a small compressor would probably work better. There are air fittings readily available in the RV shops to do that and you only need about 30 pounds of air pressure.
What Kirk said! I don't believe you will find any Shop-Vac that will pull 30 PSI suction either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Two things I see wrong with this.

First, you would have to have an air tight connection (no vacuum loss), and second, there are back flow preventer units in-line on the water lines and I would guess that it would prevent the water from being sucked back through them.

However, give it a try and let us know how it works out for ya.

Ron
It works better if you suck from downstream. No point in trying to pull from the inlet.
But thanks for the reply.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Hi and Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwell99 View Post
It works better if you suck from downstream. No point in trying to pull from the inlet.
But thanks for the reply.
I can understand that, but how would you connect to faucets and sprayers "downstream". Sounds like this would be a lot more of a problem than just connecting a small compressor to the inlet.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

I used a leaf blower to blow out bath, kitchen traps before pouring in RV antifreeze. Used 60 psi (same as the water pressure regulator is set) air for the fresh water system.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

Shop vac

Been using my shop vac for years. Attach it to low point hot and cold supply drains. Make sure you seal around the pipes so you don't loose any suction. Open faucets one at a time furthest away first.
Did this on my inground pool for 20 years and never had a problem with freezing up here in Northern Ontario. I still run the pink stuff in all the supply lines.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Been using my shop vac for years. Attach it to low point hot and cold supply drains. Make sure you seal around the pipes so you don't loose any suction. Open faucets one at a time furthest away first.
Did this on my inground pool for 20 years and never had a problem with freezing up here in Northern Ontario. I still run the pink stuff in all the supply lines.
Excellent! I guess if you don't have a compressor, this wold work just fine.

Thanks for the info.

Ron
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you put the hose on the exhaust or outlet side it will blow the lines.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #12

Shop Vac for winterization

I use the blow side of the shop vac to winterize my drip irrigation system and it works fins. Seems like the same principle would work for the rv. Be sure to open one outlet at time to build sufficient pressure.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwell99 View Post
Any one use a shop vac to suck the water out for winterizing? I have a compressor but its pretty small.

I have used shop vac to suck the water out lines in a house when soldering in a new shower valve and it worked pretty well there.

Thanks
Mike
Aside from saving getting a source of compressed air I could see where you shop vac approach would lessen the risk of someone overpressurizing the lines with a compressor. That's easy to do if you have any sort of normal air compressor but less likely with a shop vac since its not going to generate that much.

As someone else said I go ahead and put in RV antifreeze anyway. The risk is too much vs about 10 bucks worth of a/f a year.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter