Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Depends on how they are stored. In a barn or dry cover, Sta-Bil is about all you need. When in the open, moisture can do more harm than on a DP, though it is not good for either. A DP is built more rugged, more heavy duty in most cases.
Not trying to play games but the unit was stored outside on the pad the town required in Western NY. Pad is on the west side of the house so the RV shelters the house from the prevailing weather. Tank was topped off with cheap regular with the added alcohol and sta-bil added at a station about 4 miles from home. I ran around a half gallon through the generator after that.

It happened that I got sick before I took the unit out and spent the season playing DR games instead of traveling. I started it once or twice over the winter to move it for some reason but that was all. This spring I took it to a park we like around an hour away just to use the gas so I could get some fresh into the tank. I it seemed a little less peppy than usual but that was the extent of the issue. It ran a bit better after topping off with 20 gallons of regular but that was the last noticeable difference.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #16

For the amount of use you indicated a new or newer gas coach would be my recommendation. Can't go wrong with Tiffin or Newmar. Loving our Tiffin 36LA even after 5 years of ownership. Chassis maintenance has been nothing more than oil changes.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
inspection, inspection, inspection..........we didn't, paid the price.........many times over...........................
Even with an inspection and oil samples you can still have an engine go bad. Check the Cummins forum on this site for ISX problems along with the truckers forums. I didn't and it took a $33,000 repair 2,400 miles after purchase.
Used gas unit would be my choice for the OP's light use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
I think we sometimes forget when reading the forums that because one person did/did not have problems does not mean everyone will/will not. OP asked for opinions and that’s what we reply, but in the end the success of the purchase depends on the individual coach and the OP’s enjoyment of it. Or not. My advice (here it comes) is to very thoroughly check out any coach you are seriously interested in no matter the fuel, brand, or features and find the combination that works for you. Then enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Gosh you guys, I wasn’t trying to stifle the thread at all, just sayin there aren’t many absolutes in choosing an rv at least in my experience. Sorry I slowed this down OP, someone will perk it up again I’m hopeful.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #20

+1 Red 37 PA, Rv Trader 2016 with under 5000 miles for 179K in Utah. Due be sure it has the 360 HP motor not the 340.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Not trying to play games but the unit was stored outside on the pad the town required in Western NY. Pad is on the west side of the house so the RV shelters the house from the prevailing weather. Tank was topped off with cheap regular with the added alcohol and sta-bil added at a station about 4 miles from home. I ran around a half gallon through the generator after that.

It happened that I got sick before I took the unit out and spent the season playing DR games instead of traveling. I started it once or twice over the winter to move it for some reason but that was all. This spring I took it to a park we like around an hour away just to use the gas so I could get some fresh into the tank. I it seemed a little less peppy than usual but that was the extent of the issue. It ran a bit better after topping off with 20 gallons of regular but that was the last noticeable difference.

Sorry to hear that you were sick. I hope you are well again.
You did all the right things for storing. You protected the undercarriage by parking on a pad which helped to keep ground moisture and vegetation from doing damage and it kept the tires cleaner. Treating the fuel as you did was the right thing to do.
Folks will often not do as you have. I see rigs in storage yards or back yards, on dirt, weeds growing up the tires and trees dumping stuff all over them. The shade keeps the destructive moisture on the coach. No vehicle fair well in this type of environment. My point is that a DP has a better chance. That's all.
For short term, fun camping, I agree. A gasser is a good way to go, especially if stored as you do. Over time, your unit will be in much better condition than on not treated as you have done. Good job. Hope you have many happy trails in the years to come.
Head em up. Move em out. Ye! Ha!
Rick Y
Old 11-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #22

RV Trip Wizard
Shopping for Class A

Looking is so much fun! We bought our ‘new to us’ used 2008 Newmar DSDP in August. We love our coach! Don’t be scared of buying used, just do your due diligence. We did go with a great manufacturer- that was our biggest thing. Since August we have put on over 5k miles- gone everywhere- right now we are heading to FL from wisconsin- 1300 miles in 2.5 days. Staying there for a while and wintering in Gulf Shores, AL.
We passed on two coaches-one overpriced one and another beaten and abused . It still looked good- but too many issues and a lot of ‘i don’t know’ answers from the owner. So many that we said ... we gotta walk away. Best thing we did. Have we had to repair and replace things on here? Absolutely! But we knew we would always have to buying something this age- but the solidarity of this coach is TOTALLY wonderful. And we picked this up at almost 1/2 of your budget. That makes any upgrades you might look at pretty easy. All I can say is just do it! Too much fun awaits!
DavenMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #23

We picked up a very well cared for nicely optioned 2014 Newmar Ventana DP below your budget a year ago from a private party and have been very happy with it. Ours is a 40 footer, but they make a Ventana model that's just under 37 feet. If you stretch to 40' you get a tag axle if that's of interest to you.
In addition to the Tiffin recommendations, I would suggest putting Newmar on your shopping list.
You can find their brochure archives here:
https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #24

Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to having your problem and hoping I can get SWMBO away from the shiny bling of a new one.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you selling this?
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
+1 Red 37 PA, Rv Trader 2016 with under 5000 miles for 179K in Utah. Due be sure it has the 360 HP motor not the 340.
Are you selling this?
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:58 AM   #27

No I was providing information only.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #28

As to the question, purchasing used would be the way to go. It should hold its value quite well if you decide to get a different rig. And, go used and buy better quality.

In our search for a gasser, we narrowed our choice to Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago/Itasca. We're very happy with our Newmar and it meets our needs. But there's a ton of information on gas versus diesel motorhomes and only you can figure out what will work for you. I didn't want the added maintenance costs of a diesel and our casual travel pace is working well with a gas motorhome. I we were full timers or wanted to travel 500-600 miles per day, I would want a DP. And, we could end up being another couple that own a gas motorhome for a couple or years or more and then upgrade to a diesel, but who knows!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a