RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #1

Question Shopping for Class A

Looking into trading in my Class C for a 35-37 ft A. I think it's gotta be a diesel pusher. 200k range or a bit less. Tiffin looks good, but I am still learning about other A's out there. Lot's of different opinions. I want this to be my last one.
It's just my wife and I and our dogs, 2-3 weeks trips a few times per year. Will tow a small car.

New vs used? Suggestions?
Thanks

n44399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely go used. More for your money and let the first owner take the depreciation hit and fix all the issues.
If you go with a diesel prior to 2008 you can avoid the diesel emissions system issues.
Expand your search to Newmar, Entegra (Travel Supreme prior to 2008), Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver Coach, Country Coach, and American Coach.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would go with a used DP, preferably from a private seller. Better get busy, you've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n44399 View Post
Looking into trading in my Class C for a 35-37 ft A. I think it's gotta be a diesel pusher. ...
Thanks
Just curious.... Why diesel? Ever think about an Adventurer 38Q or similar model? Does very well for the wife and I and the 2 hounds. Crossed the country east west and north south several times comfortably with plenty of power and everything we could ever wanted. Tow a car or light truck along to boot. Glad I went that route everytime I pass a fuel stop LOL.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
TTD

I agree with Vito.a above... so much so that it is exactly what I did when I bought last year.

Ended up getting a 2008 Country Coach after realizing the build quality was high and I could get a lot more coach for less money. I put aside some money for repairs and updates and so far I am still below budget.

Good luck!
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
inspection, inspection, inspection..........we didn't, paid the price.........many times over...........................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n44399 View Post
Looking into trading in my Class C for a 35-37 ft A. I think it's gotta be a diesel pusher. 200k range or a bit less. Tiffin looks good, but I am still learning about other A's out there. Lot's of different opinions. I want this to be my last one.
It's just my wife and I and our dogs, 2-3 weeks trips a few times per year. Will tow a small car.

New vs used? Suggestions?
Thanks
Great questions.
A class A is a great way to travel. In your case, a gasser is not a bad option for money savings. The drawback, IMHO, is the special care that needs to go into a gasser. You will be using it so the down time issues are not that great a concern. (Fuel and break issues can be a problem more with a long term storage for a gasser.)
A dp rides and handles much nicer, has better pulling power on hills and is quieter because the drive train is in the rear. Long term storage is less of an issue. Maintenance is really not as bad as many like to advertise. DEF is not an issue and will increase the HP over models with the same engine.
Choose a floor plan and feature. Look at what is available, used, and then seek owner experience on the forums.
Thor products seem like one to avoid.
Tiffin has a good reputation.
Winnebago, once the QC issues are dealt with, seems to be another brand to consider.

There are many brands to choose from. There is really no good guarantee we can give to you that what ever you choose will be trouble free.
Happy trails.
Rick Y
Old 10-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. We recently upgraded from our Class C to a Tiffin RED 37PA (DP) and LOVE it! We have been in it for 5 months now with NO major problems. Love the floor plan and did add the W/D and Fireplace.

Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

I just stored a gasser for 2 years with a load of Sta-Bil in the tank. Started and ran OK afterwards. Ran a bit better on second tank of gas. That has me wondering what the storage problems are with a gasser over diesel....
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

We just bought our hopefully last motorhome. It's our 9th one and the only new one we've ever bought. We went with a 2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627 gas model. 37' long on a 26K chassis. We tow a Wrangler JKU. I've had diesel class A's in the past and decided that for me the extra maintenance expense and initial costs weren't worth it. There's plenty of threads on that discussion so I won't go into the why for's and how come's of that decision.

We got this one fully tricked out and there are several features we really like. The fireplace, the stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, extra batteries, central vac, heat pumps, electric window shades, excellent factory service and a 3,000+ cargo capacity are a few. We also got the in motion sat system and Wifi Ranger (both just came with the unit) we don't use either so they'll show up on the Nashville Craigslist soon.

Good luck with your search.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We recently upgraded from our Class C to a Tiffin RED 37PA (DP) and LOVE it! We have been in it for 5 months now with NO major problems. Love the floor plan and did add the W/D and Fireplace.
Those Tiffin 37's are great rigs, not sure why more manufactures don't make a DP in that 36'-38' length, seems like there is a market for under 40' rigs. Enjoy your MH.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Just my 1.5 cents worth..
To not "revive" the gas vs diesel... "My coach choice is better than your coach choice" controversy .....
You asked about a DP...

There are a good many 36'/38' diesel pushers around (both single drive axle or tag axles (in the case of a 38'+)

To keep in your "Comfort & Budget" range.
A used/nearly new "entry level" coach would meet your needs.
You most likely will have sub-par build & quality components, and propane heat/hot water, small fuel/fresh water/black-gray tank capacities..Normally will have a leveling jack system.
Bad construction & poor quality will be overshadowed by multi-slideouts and BS bling to draw your attention away from the deficiencies.

A slightly older "middle of the pack" coach that may need updating, would meet your needs.
Normally a better design/build/quality components, Propane or a (base model/capacity) diesel fired continuous hot water & heat system. Middle ground for fuel/fresh/black-gray tank capacities
Will have a 'leveling jack or a full air ride leveling system"

OR...
A "Top Dawg" Premium Manufactured coach that is older yet (1998 to 2006 ) that "may" need updating..If it hasn't already been done.. (I'm talking Country Coach, Blue Bird, Beaver, Foretravel, Newell, or any of the Prevost shell conversions)
"Huge to over the top" fuel/fresh/black-gray tank capacities.
The best of the best design/build & component materials available for the age of the coach
Diesel AquaHot/Oasis heat and hot water (boiler system/multi zones)
Full air ride and air ride leveling (rarely have leveling jacks)
One piece fiberglass or metal roof structurers
"NO excuses" insulation and heat/cooling of coach and basements
Dual pane & tinted windows thru out.

To give you an idea of the range available (entry to top dawg) and nice pic's..(these are good ppl btw..)
peruse here for ideas on what you want and what you can afford..

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I just stored a gasser for 2 years with a load of Sta-Bil in the tank. Started and ran OK afterwards. Ran a bit better on second tank of gas. That has me wondering what the storage problems are with a gasser over diesel....
Depends on how they are stored. In a barn or dry cover, Sta-Bil is about all you need. When in the open, moisture can do more harm than on a DP, though it is not good for either. A DP is built more rugged, more heavy duty in most cases.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Just my 1.5 cents worth..
To not "revive" the gas vs diesel... "My coach choice is better than your coach choice" controversy .....
You asked about a DP...

There are a good many 36'/38' diesel pushers around (both single drive axle or tag axles (in the case of a 38'+)

To keep in your "Comfort & Budget" range.
A used/nearly new "entry level" coach would meet your needs.
You most likely will have sub-par build & quality components, and propane heat/hot water, small fuel/fresh water/black-gray tank capacities..Normally will have a leveling jack system.
Bad construction & poor quality will be overshadowed by multi-slideouts and BS bling to draw your attention away from the deficiencies.

A slightly older "middle of the pack" coach that may need updating, would meet your needs.
Normally a better design/build/quality components, Propane or a (base model/capacity) diesel fired continuous hot water & heat system. Middle ground for fuel/fresh/black-gray tank capacities
Will have a 'leveling jack or a full air ride leveling system"

OR...
A "Top Dawg" Premium Manufactured coach that is older yet (1998 to 2006 ) that "may" need updating..If it hasn't already been done.. (I'm talking Country Coach, Blue Bird, Beaver, Foretravel, Newell, or any of the Prevost shell conversions)
"Huge to over the top" fuel/fresh/black-gray tank capacities.
The best of the best design/build & component materials available for the age of the coach
Diesel AquaHot/Oasis heat and hot water (boiler system/multi zones)
Full air ride and air ride leveling (rarely have leveling jacks)
One piece fiberglass or metal roof structurers
"NO excuses" insulation and heat/cooling of coach and basements
Dual pane & tinted windows thru out.

To give you an idea of the range available (entry to top dawg) and nice pic's..(these are good ppl btw..)
peruse here for ideas on what you want and what you can afford..

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
True. Not a dueling match. Each type of RV has a place in the world of camping.
You can get a good 20 year old American Eagle with no slides that will be a great unit. Choices are many. Choosing wisely can be a shell game. My only hope for the OP is that he gets a unit he can live with and not live for... in the shop all the time.

Tags
class a