Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Shopping for my 1st class A

I am at the beginning of what will be an extensive search for information on class A coaches. I am leaning towards purchasing a little bit older diesel pusher than a newer gas model, but I’m not completely sold on that idea. I’ve got an older class C Winnebago now, so I’m not completely in the dark about the issues you have with a used motorhome. I’m attracted to late 90’s early 00’s Monaco Dynasty pushers being that they have fiberglass roofs and seem to be an overall upgrade over the gas models. I have been able to find these coaches in the 35k to 45k range (some with slides and some without.) What other coaches would be worth considering in this range? What are some of the drawbacks or advantages of certain brands, makes, and models? I know I’m dealing with a bad design in my Winnebago with the foam floors. The joints in the roof are a problem as well (which is why I like the idea of the fiberglass roof) I am sure there are many years of experience here on the forum and I would love to hear any comments pro and con. I’m just trying to avoid any industry pitfalls and hopefully obtain a reliable coach to keep for many years to come.
Thanks in advance, Rob…
Captainhooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would start with a search of this forum since your multi-part question is complex and susceptible to opinion as much as fact. Start searching the forum with the keywords "New or used" (no parenthesis). Read as much as you can. Then move on to "Gas vs. Diesel". As for the brand, most seasoned RVers will tell you that all other things being equal, it usually gets down to the floor plan. Either you like spending time inside the rig or you don't. You can always add third-party products later. People that really like their motorhomes invariably like the layout. It's a good start. Then, after you become familiar with the basic issues, you can narrow your choices and options down to a reasonable level.

Jack
Old 06-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Rob,

As folks with limited experience, 2 class A gassers, a class C and a new to us diesel pusher, we can't offer a great deal of technical pros or cons nor do we consider ourselves knowledgeable enough to do so. There are so many on here with tech know how and vast experience.
We both REALLY appreciate the quiet of the "pusher" which is so much better than the other two configurations we have had. To us that represents a definite plus when making a choice.

However you go good luck and enjoy...Jack&Rita
widowson1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Have a good look at Triple E coaches. They are not at all inexpensive, but are amongst some of the most loved out there.

Well known for their ability to withstand cold, and heat as well.

There is a dealer in Alabama that I know of.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #5

Thanks all! I'll do some seaching on the forums and see what I come up with.
Captainhooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
I would start with a search of this forum since your multi-part question is complex and susceptible to opinion as much as fact. Start searching the forum with the keywords "New or used" (no parenthesis). Read as much as you can. Then move on to "Gas vs. Diesel". As for the brand, most seasoned RVers will tell you that all other things being equal, it usually gets down to the floor plan. Either you like spending time inside the rig or you don't. You can always add third-party products later. People that really like their motorhomes invariably like the layout. It's a good start. Then, after you become familiar with the basic issues, you can narrow your choices and options down to a reasonable level.

Jack
In my opinion, Jack nailed it. When we bought ours, I actually wanted a little bit newer model, and would have paid more. But when we found this one it had every other thing I was looking for. I wanted a calss A on the short side for a class A which this one is (30ft), with the biggest gas engine available, the 8.1L.

I wanted one long slide with the galley in the slide which this one has. Which a galley slide is more rare because they are harder to build with the water, gas and drain lines. And I like the bathroom door that will swing over and shut off the living room if needed, so when you slide the bedroom door shut you have about as big a bathroom as you can possibly have. We love it, and given the fact that we bought back when gas was just reaching $4 a gallon, we got about as good a deal as we could have ever imagined. I would rather have had around an 04 instead of an 01, but we had money left over to put into it, which we most certainly have done. We couldn't be happier.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #7

We looked at over 800 units to find the one we loved. I had over 80 salesmen's cards with promises of them calling me if anything came in that was close to what we wanted. Only 2 ever called back. We bought a diesel that had been very high-end when new, but was old enough to fit our budget. Have been very pleased. Most problems have been small, in fact most have been electrical in nature. We had a whole page of what we hoped to find in a coach, and a half-page of things that were deal-breakers. I did not want a propane-powered generator, and my wife really wanted a washer-dryer. We were limited in total length by available space in our kid's driveways, so we had to be very particular. We were lucky enough to buy from a private party that already had their next coach, so they were motivated sellers. Make lists of wants, and you will eventually find your dream. Enjoy the search, HarveyP ps, the diesel gets almost 50% better fuel milage than our gas Class C with the big 8 cyl. Ford. That will make you smile!

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the age you are considering, don't pass up any of the Foretravels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'd add Newmar and American Coach to the list of excellent high end used coaches. Country Coach too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

I went through a similar search not long ago and wound up with a 95 Holiday Rambler Navigator. It was top of the HR line at that time. Its my first DP and it has a definate feel of quality vs. some of the other used units I saw.

I think this is a great time to pick up a used unit for a great deal. Educate yourself on as many decision parameters as possible. Some considerations might include reputation status of builder, construction, appliances, carrying capacity, towing capacity if you plan a TOAD, etc.

Once you have sorted through that info, as you narrow down to a specific type of unit you can look at condition, repair and service history, etc. At some point, the way the unit has been kept will likely outweigh initial buider quality.

Its a fun process and there are lots of deals out there. Don't rush it and settle - there is no need to. Cash and patience will get you a lot of coach.

Good luck!
SoCal Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

We did the same as HarveyP did --- when we purchased our unit, we looked for a high end unit when it was new but now had a few years on it. Our unit was a little over 3 years old when we bought it but, got it for about 1/3rd of the original invoice price. Everything on it was in working order and with the funds saved, I have upgraded a lot of items (LCD TVs, hard wired surge guard, water filtering system, water softening system, dual fuel filters, etc). Have fun in your search and then enjoy your travels.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Unless you can afford the upkeep and breakdowns of a diesel, I'd advise against it. Sure, you can get the ext warranty and such, but stick with a gas model. They are quieter, parts are ALWAYS easier to get, some things you can fix yourself much easier and without specialtiy tools. Unless you live in it full time AND need the 10,000 lb towing capacity, I'd advise against it. The added cost of the diesel engine vs. cost of a similar gas model, you will NEVER make up the savings in mileage.
Ace_Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ace is right about the cost of ownership - a gas chassis is dramatically less expensive. I wouldn't say it is quieter, though. At least not in the driver seat and the diesel is a rear engine model.

And nothing can compare with diesel power on a long grade!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote