Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveman52 View Post
NO, NO, NO your 30amp circuit does not have a neutral.
YES, YES, YES a 30amp RV circuit DOES have a neutral!
Can you say, "THREE WIRES... one hot... one ground ...AND...one neutral"?
Mel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
YES, YES, YES a 30amp RV circuit DOES have a neutral!
Can you say, "THREE WIRES... one hot... one ground ...AND...one neutral"?
Mel
Yes, three is correct.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Whether you can use the existing 30 amp 240v source depends on a number of things.

1. Is your RV wired for 30A, 120V or 50A, 120/240v?

2. Does the existing source have both a neutral & a ground?

The second question is make or break. If there is no separate ground from the neutral, you cannot safely use it to supply power to either type of RV, at least without making modifications to the wiring.

If the source does have a separate ground & neutral, (in other words, a 4 pole connector) and you have a 50 amp RV, all you need to do is change the 30 amp receptacle to a NEMA 14-50R 50 amp. Rather than the normal 12,000 watts (50 amps per leg) available from a 50 amp source, you will be limited to 7200 watts, or 30 amps per leg.

If the RV is a 30 amp, 120v you must either use an adapter wired to one leg of the 240v so that you have 1 hot, 1 neutral & one ground, or change the connector to a properly wired NEMA TT-30 R receptacle.

Again, if there is no separate ground & neutral (many 240v receptacles & wiring will have a ground, but no neutral) you cannot use it to supply a RV.

If you are not comfortable determining what you have and what you need to do to make things work, I strongly suggest hiring an electrician. If you have a 30 amp, 120V RV, it is imperative that you make sure the electrician understands that it is a 120V receptacle. Travel Trailers & RVs are the only devices that uses a 30 amp, 120V receptacle, and most electricians will assume the 30 amp receptacle is a 240v device. Always check the final wiring with a meter before plugging your RV. There are posts on all RV forums describing the results plugging a 120v RV into a 240V source - always expensive!
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #18

Is there such thing as an adapter plug "sold over the counter", that would allow you to plug a 30A rv into a 240V dryer type plug ? Just wondering....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeking View Post
Just purchased a new Allegro RED. Going to store next my house. I have 220/30 amp power to a two post lift now. Can I use that power supply to connect to my RV? Don't know "jack" about electricity.
Help greatly appreciated!
THX
U can use the power supply but but need to subwire a 50amp(what u have from factory) 4 prong plug receptacle which has H1,H2, neutral and ground
this gives u 120V from both H1 and H2 which cross measures 240V
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rereading the OP initial post said he had a 240VAC 30A service. This was probably for a welder. If the receptacle has only three wires, the OP could convert the existing wiring to an RV 30A receptacle utilizing the L1 as L1, L2 as Neutral, and Ground as Ground in the supply sub-panel. Could save a few bucks. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
Rereading the OP initial post said he had a 240VAC 30A service. This was probably for a welder. If the receptacle has only three wires, the OP could convert the existing wiring to an RV 30A receptacle utilizing the L1 as L1, L2 as Neutral, and Ground as Ground in the supply sub-panel. Could save a few bucks. JM2...
try rereading again as he clearly says its for his car lift.I assume he still uses the car lift and therefore it makes much more prudence to subwire a proper 4 plug to fit the factory one from the MH
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Is there such thing as an adapter plug "sold over the counter", that would allow you to plug a 30A rv into a 240V dryer type plug ? Just wondering....
It depends on the type of outlet you have:

A NEMA 6-30R is 30A 240V with NO NEUTRAL. You cannot safely adapt this to an RV input.

A NEMA 10-30R is 30A 120V/240V with NO GROUND. Again, it cannot be safely adapted for RV use.

A NEMA 14-30R is 30A 120V/240V 4 wire - it CAN be safely adapted for RV use. I don't know of any ready-made adapters that are available for this - you would probably have to make your own.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #23

Rodeking, sounds like you are not comfortable with doing this yourself, might better get an electrician before the smoke gets out of something(it's hard to put the smoke back in once it's out) Lots of things at play here correct wire size, voltage drop on long runs, breaker, neutral, and proper grounding. All things being equal if you are going to the time and expense of installing a recepital for your motor home might as well put the correct one in.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Call an electrician. When I got me first rv it only needed 30 amp but for a little more $150 Total I had him put in a 50 amp and I used a pigtail 50 to 30 for three years. Always enough power. Last month I got a newer journey 34y. It needs 50 so I was already good to go. Saved money and time in the long run.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the 240 volt outlet 3 or 4 wire,

If 3 wire it will have to be re-wired.

If 4 wire, Depending on the NEMA number it may be good to go or you may need to replace it with the proper RV type..

Will a 50 amp times two RV work on 30 amps times 2 for winter storage

YES

Why times 2.
L1 and L-2 (The two 120 volt legs of a 240 volt system)

If it is 3 wire, then you need to have them re-wire it for 120 volt and put in a TT-30 outlet, MAKE VERY SURE IT IS 120 volt before you plug in to a tt-30, there is another outlet that is often mistanen for a TT-30 and plugged into.. At great cost.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveman52 View Post
NO, NO, NO your 30amp circuit does not have a neutral.
YES, YES, YES IT DOES!
Can you say, Three wires? (one hot, one ground, and one NEUTRAL)!
Mel
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
YES, YES, YES IT DOES!
Can you say, Three wires? (one hot, one ground, and one NEUTRAL)!
Mel
Are U talking about a motorhome 30 amp or the guys electric hoist wire? which was the orginal OP question
the 30 amp Rv will have hot,neutral and ground
The hoist in question will be 240V which will have red,black,white and ground which can then be easily upgraded to fit his factory 50 amp RV plug
Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Some one correct me if they think that I am worng.
My M.H. is wired for 30 amps but because of some Camp Grounds that have just a 50 amp outlet I take along a Pig Tail (which I bought at Camping World) it has a 30amp femail on one end and on the other end it has a 50 amp mail plug this Pig Tail will only give you 30 amps.
I have another Pig Tail that has a 30amp femail on one end and a 110 amp mail on the other end, all you will get out of this one is 110 amps.
Only once in a while, while travaling I may come across a 110 amp outlet only.
It will run the lights and T.V.
So if thats all they have then I can use it.
Just trying to look ahead for the unspected things that somtimes come up..
If you want to buy one you may want to check to be sure that this informaition is correct.
I am not an Electrician but this is what I have been using for years.

Tags
power

« Furnace | v belt »