Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

XXXXX10 ON pusherman post.HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS SAYING.I JUST RAN A 50AMP SERVICE TO MY STORAGE ROOM FOR MY RV.IMHO YOU WOULD DO YOURSELF A GREAT SERVICE TO HAVE A ELECTRICIAN LOOK AT THIS AND YOU ARE READY TO PLUG IN MAKE SURE YOU TEST EACH LEG FOR THE RIGHT VOLTAGE.BE SAFE AND TRAVEL SAFE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
Some one correct me if they think that I am worng.
My M.H. is wired for 30 amps but because of some Camp Grounds that have just a 50 amp outlet I take along a Pig Tail (which I bought at Camping World) it has a 30amp femail on one end and on the other end it has a 50 amp mail plug this Pig Tail will only give you 30 amps.
I have another Pig Tail that has a 30amp femail on one end and a 110 amp mail on the other end, all you will get out of this one is 110 amps.
Only once in a while, while travaling I may come across a 110 amp outlet only.
It will run the lights and T.V.
So if thats all they have then I can use it.
Just trying to look ahead for the unspected things that somtimes come up..
If you want to buy one you may want to check to be sure that this informaition is correct.
I am not an Electrician but this is what I have been using for years.
the first so called pig tail for 30 amps is 120V The second so called pigtail
is now 15 amps and still 120V
However your post has absolutely nothing to to with the OP original question?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
As folks have stated above, hire an electrician who understands the difference between a 30A 120V service for a motorhome vs. a 240V circuit, which the 50A shore cord is.

And yes, it could work as long as your Allegro RED has a 50A 240V shore cord on it (which I'm sure it does) and the electrician provides the proper receptacle for the shore plug. He could even build you an adapter for the existing plug. Note it will only be a 30A 240V service vs an RV 50A 240V service, but I would doubt you would need any more than the 30A 240V service as you will only be using it next to your house to cool the coach, fire the refrigerator, and charge the batteries. You should have no problem from having enough wattage.

Problem occurs when the electrician uses a 30A 120V receptacle and wires it to 240V. This configuration will fry everything in your coach.

Also - it needs to be a 4-wire service to your existing 240V receptacle, with 2 positive legs, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. If you don't have this wiring available, don't do it.
I question your statement:
Note it will only be a 30A 240V service vs an RV 50A 240V service, but I would doubt you would need any more than the 30A 240V service as you will only be using it next to your house to cool the coach, fire the refrigerator, and charge the batteries. You should have no problem from having enough wattage.
Please correct me if iam wrong but the way I understand things is a RV 30amp service is 120V not 240V and a 50amp service could be considered a 240V system except it takes the dual 120V wire system and splits it into
2 seperate 120V systems so really after it enters the MH its always only really 120V
remember:50 amp service do have 240 volts at the breaker panel, they're just not used together.
a 30 amp RV outlet is NEVER 240V ever.It starts out life as 120V and ends as 120V
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
I have another Pig Tail that has a 30amp femail on one end and a 110 amp mail on the other end, all you will get out of this one is 110 amps.
Only once in a while, while travaling I may come across a 110 amp outlet only.
It will run the lights and T.V.
So if thats all they have then I can use it.
I am sure you meant to say: "The small pigtail, (aka: adapter) has a 3 slot 30A female on one end and a 15A 3 prong male plug on the other.
That adaper is useful if/when the only source of shore power is a 20 A, (or 15A), 120V receptacle".
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
I question your statement:
Note it will only be a 30A 240V service vs an RV 50A 240V service, but I would doubt you would need any more than the 30A 240V service as you will only be using it next to your house to cool the coach, fire the refrigerator, and charge the batteries. You should have no problem from having enough wattage.
Please correct me if iam wrong but the way I understand things is a RV 30amp service is 120V not 240V and a 50amp service could be considered a 240V system except it takes the dual 120V wire system and splits it into
2 seperate 120V systems so really after it enters the MH its always only really 120V
remember:50 amp service do have 240 volts at the breaker panel, they're just not used together.
a 30 amp RV outlet is NEVER 240V ever.It starts out life as 120V and ends as 120V
Refer to OP's statement on what he's trying to use, regarding 120V vs 240V.

Now it becomes arithmetic.

120V x 30A = 3600 watts of power available to power whatever you are running inside the coach.

If the OP does have 30A 240V available then there is 240V x 30A = 7200 watts of power available to power the coach.

A normal 50A 240V RV service has 240Vx50A= 12,000 watts of power available to run the coach.

It's really about the watts of power being drawn. Depends on how the OP can wire his RV receptacle (with the help of an RV educated electrician).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Refer to OP's statement on what he's trying to use, regarding 120V vs 240V.

Now it becomes arithmetic.

120V x 30A = 3600 watts of power available to power whatever you are running inside the coach.

If the OP does have 30A 240V available then there is 240V x 30A = 7200 watts of power available to power the coach.

A normal 50A 240V RV service has 240Vx50A= 12,000 watts of power available to run the coach.

It's really about the watts of power being drawn. Depends on how the OP can wire his RV receptacle (with the help of an RV educated electrician).
looks like we are trying to say the same thing with a different way of looking at it.I prefer to look at it a fifty amp circut(eg) as two 50 amp 120V circuts after it leaves the pedistal

Tags
power

« Furnace | v belt »