Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Shore Power

Just purchased a new Allegro RED. Going to store next my house. I have 220/30 amp power to a two post lift now. Can I use that power supply to connect to my RV? Don't know "jack" about electricity.
Help greatly appreciated!
THX
rodeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

Sure can...but, is the Allegro a 50A rig or a 30A?

If it's a 50A, you just need to wire an outlet from the 220/30 circuitry.

If it's a 30A, you just need to remember that it's wired as 120V. One hot wire, one neutral wire, and one ground wire.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

In short, no.

Have a RV outlet installed. An RV 30 amp is only 120V not 240V. If you plug into a 240V you'll fry all electronics.

Even an RV 50amp is wired different then a standard 240V 50amp outlet.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

Actually, a RV 50Amp outlet is wired the same as any 50A outlet.

Read here: RV Electric

A 30A outlet, however, is different then a more common dryer outlet. You have to look for a TT designation (Travel Trailer). And of course it only has one hot leg.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeking View Post
Just purchased a new Allegro RED. Going to store next my house. I have 220/30 amp power to a two post lift now. Can I use that power supply to connect to my RV? Don't know "jack" about electricity.
THX
If you hire an electrician to wire up a receptacle....be sure to tell him IT'S FOR AN RV!
30A RV receptacles are often mistakenly wired to provide 240 VAC.....
Even by professionals, running on automatic pilot,..... (aka: NOT THINKING)!
30 A RV receptacles, wired correctly, are ONLY 120VAC.
However, electricians are accustomed to wiring very similar appearing receptacles to provide 220VAC, (for clothes dryers, ranges and welders).
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

As folks have stated above, hire an electrician who understands the difference between a 30A 120V service for a motorhome vs. a 240V circuit, which the 50A shore cord is.

And yes, it could work as long as your Allegro RED has a 50A 240V shore cord on it (which I'm sure it does) and the electrician provides the proper receptacle for the shore plug. He could even build you an adapter for the existing plug. Note it will only be a 30A 240V service vs an RV 50A 240V service, but I would doubt you would need any more than the 30A 240V service as you will only be using it next to your house to cool the coach, fire the refrigerator, and charge the batteries. You should have no problem from having enough wattage.

Problem occurs when the electrician uses a 30A 120V receptacle and wires it to 240V. This configuration will fry everything in your coach.

Also - it needs to be a 4-wire service to your existing 240V receptacle, with 2 positive legs, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. If you don't have this wiring available, don't do it.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post

Problem occurs when the electrician uses a 30A 120V receptacle and wires it to 240V. This configuration will fry everything in your coach.
Refresh our memories what's the easy way to check the 30 amp outlet plug to be sure it's correct?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeking View Post
THX
You can easily convert it to a 120v 30amp. I have converted two by using only one of the power wires (120v) but please call an electrician.
Richard
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Refresh our memories what's the easy way to check the 30 amp outlet plug to be sure it's correct?
Using a volt meter, you can check voltage across the 2 hot legs of the outlet. It will read 240V if it's wired to 2 legs. If it's wired to 1 leg, it will read 120V.

A 120V RV receptacle will only have 3 holes (1 positive, 1 neutral, 1 ground). A 240V RV receptacle will have 4 holes (2 positive, 1 neutral, 1 ground).

ALSO - the proper receptacle will be labeled either as a 120V receptacle or a 240V receptacle. The details are in the 'fine print' which is molded onto the receptacle itself.

At this writing, I do not have the information on the NEMA model #'s for a 120V receptacle vs. a 240V receptacle, but a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot will give you this answer.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you my mind went totally blank after reading your post. I had 50 and 30 amp outlets put in the shop and have never used the 30 amp and after reading your post it seems like a good idea for me to go out and check them.

Thanks again.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This web site has everything you wanted to know about RV electric service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your 50A outlet should have 4 holes in it for two hot legs, a ground, and a neutral. If your 30A outlet has 4 holes in it, and it looks exactly like your 50A outlet then you're good to go.

But, if the 30A outlet only has 3 holes, then it is either wired with two hot legs and a ground, or two hot legs and a neutral, or one hot leg with a ground and a neutral. The first two options will damage your RV - the third option is what you need.

It's been posted a bazillion times before, but to get a good understanding of RV electrical connections take a tour through RV Electric - you'll be educated enough to make sure you don't destroy your RV.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #13

NO, NO, NO your 30amp circuit does not have a neutral.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post

ALSO - the proper receptacle will be labeled either as a 120V receptacle or a 240V receptacle. The details are in the 'fine print' which is molded onto the receptacle itself.
120V "molded onto the receptacle itself" DOES NOT prevent even an electrician from inadvertently/accidentally/stupidly wiring it to provide 240V.
It has been done more than once, (and more than one coach has had things FRY because of it)!

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power

« Furnace | v belt »