Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Shore Power

When at home do you leave your MH plugged into shore power? I leave mine plugged in. Anyone know of any problems this will cause?
Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two problems. One your converter will keep a constant charge on the battery. this will cause the battery to gas and lose water. so you must keep a eye on the water level. Two. converters are easily damaged by lightening. So they should be unplugged during a storm.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Other than increasing you electric bill there is no negative to keeping your coach plugged in. In fact it will keep your batteries charged.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
We only plug in the coach when we're ready to pack for a trip and want to get the refrigerator cold. When we're home, we not only don't have it plugged in, but we also press the button to disconnect the power. We found with our previous coach that little unknown things would drain our batteries if we didn't cut the power.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Ours stays plugged in. Stays in a hangar 3 to 4 weeks then off again.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We keep ours plugged in...if you have a smart charger/converter, it will not cook the batteries.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Ours stays plugged in. Stays in a hangar 3 to 4 weeks then off again.
3 to 4 weeks? Waaay too long between trips! We try to get out every week.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When home I only plug it in every other weekend for one day. When not plugged in I use the "STORE" option button to disconnect the house batteries and I turn the chassis battery switch to "OFF". That way all batteries are not connected to anything. When we plan to travel I plug the unit in 2 days prior in order to bring the fridge and freezer down to temps.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Two problems. One your converter will keep a constant charge on the battery. this will cause the battery to gas and lose water. so you must keep a eye on the water level. Two. converters are easily damaged by lightening. So they should be unplugged during a storm.
Our DSDP is ALWAYS plugged in at home, been that way since we brought it home (except when we're on the road). The batteries are still the OEM ones (9 years old on the 26th). I've had the batteries connected the whole time. I did add a bottle of desulfation liquid to them, then 4oz of mineral oil to each cell. That cut the offgassing to almost nothing, adding distilled water was cut way down and almost no corrosion in the battery compartment even after 9 years.
The refer has been on all the time also, the cooling unit did fail when the ammonia leaked out.
Still have the original inverter too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My coach is now 7 years old and has never sat for over a day or two without power. Even when in storage I keep 30 amp power to it 24/7.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #11

Depends on your charge rate, smart charge would be great, but older systems can over charge over time. My 99DSDP has a 2 rate manual adjust charge rate. Read your manual, check output at the batteries, 13.2 shouldn't over charge, 14.2V will.
Skip426 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Depends on your converter/battery charging system. Our 5th wheel came with a Progressive Dynamics PD9180 with a Charge Wizard and, other than when we're traveling, has been plugged in either at the campsite or in covered storage since we purchased it in August 2004. The 6V batteries are still the originals. In the SE Texas heat, I'll add water to the batteries every 4-6 months.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer, the real answer is "IT depends"

When I got my motor home I put in a TT-30 outlet with a 20 amp feed and left it plugged in all the time. No problems, Yes, the batteries did "Gas" and I Did have to add water... once a year.... (yes, Once a year) but .. I have a Progressive Dynamics Intellapower 9180 with optional charge wizard for a converter. This is one of the many "Best of class" 3-stage converters which I highly recommend. It babies my batteries (All the "Best of class" 3-stage units share this trait, or should, since that is a requirement) I won't list all the good ones but IOTA with IQ-4 Technology, WFFCO, Xantrex True Charge are just 3 more in that class, as is my Xantrex Prosine inverter/Charger.

Some rigs come with worst of classs single stage converters.. These converters have several features you might find offensive.

First they either never fully charge batteries or, more likely never stop charging, so once they are full, they keep on charging, causing serious boiling of the battery, gassing and eventually killing the beast.

Second they tend to be very SLOW chargers.

But in any case leaving them plugged in full time.. NOT a good idea.

Finally.. there is that electric bill consideration.. Epically if you visit the thing every day and use electric heat .

Tags
power