Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shore power blows breaker when hooked up

1998 Monaco, when hooking up to shore power, breaker at house trips, can run generator and Motorhome works fine, inverter seems to be working fine. I am thinking transfer switch, any ideas. Thanks.
jmdermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a conversation currently going on with someone else having the same problem.
I expect the recommendations made here would work for you also.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/shor...ml#post4237964
Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #4

What kind of breaker ?

If its a GFCI and not a circuit breaker, its not the transfer switch.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hooked up to both kinds, same result. Pulled shore power wires from transfer switch and breaker did not trip. Maybe circuit board in transfer switch box?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I 'm missing some info in the previous posts - but I'm wondering could the coach just be drawing more power than Shore power can provide?

At one site I had a 30A hookup and when I turned on the electric water heater (with roof AC running) it tripped the Shore Power breaker. It was just a matter that my coach was drawing more than 30A at the time. With generator running it would not be a problem since gen puts out more power than needed.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply, no there is nothing on inside the unit.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Maybe I 'm missing some info in the previous posts - but I'm wondering could the coach just be drawing more power than Shore power can provide?

At one site I had a 30A hookup and when I turned on the electric water heater (with roof AC running) it tripped the Shore Power breaker. It was just a matter that my coach was drawing more than 30A at the time. With generator running it would not be a problem since gen puts out more power than needed.
Great point !

To the OP, descibe with some detail, what's on in the RV and where the breaker is that trips and how many amps its rated for.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Okay. Then most likely a short to ground in the cable. Does your coach have a cable reel - if so look at that connection. You could unconnect the wire ends at the transfer switch and see if any of the 120V cable leads have continuity to ground (indicating a short).
Good luck.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Everything is off inside the unit. The breaker is located inside my garage, and it 20 amp. I have been using the same circuit for the passed year without any trouble until now.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If the shore power cable (the cable coming from your coach) has a "short", it would trip the breaker in your garage. If you disconnected that cable inside the transfer switch, you can put an ohmmeter on the disconnected leads (one lead to the red wire and one to ground, then one lead to the black wire and the other to ground). If either the red or black wires (the "Hot wires") are shorted to ground the ohmmeter will tell you.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
When you say "Pulled shore power wires from transfer switch and breaker did not trip".
Does that mean that you removed the shore power cord from the RV completely, left the RV end 'dangling', plugged in the cord and nothing tripped?
If so, then I would tend to agree with you that the next thing to check is the transfer switch.

If that's where we are now, can you relatively easily bypass the transfer switch (connect the shore cord to the 'out' wires of the transfer switch) to see if the breaker still trips?
If it does not then you've neatly identified the transfer switch as the problem.
If it does, then the problem is farther downstream somewhere.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jmdermo;

I have a thought for you to consider. Turn off all the breakers on you 120V panel. Hook up the shore power and if the house breaker still blows I would suspect a short on the power cable or transfer switch.

If the house breaker stays on with all beakers turned off, turn on 1 breaker at a time until the house breaker trips. It could indicate an overload as suggested by. If the outlet that you are plugging into is a GFI you likely have a ground problem.

I am not an electrician but I had a similar problem and found a ground wire that was wired into the inverter panel instead of the main panel.

Good luck with your project;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, power, shore power