Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Shore Power Cord Length

Wanting to make up a new power chord, what is a good length that is typically long enough. I don't have the campsite experiences yet to know what length to make it. I already have the proper chord for the job and it is about 45' but think it is a little longer than I might want to carry. What typically is long enough or should I just make up the 45ft er and be done.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

I'd stick with the 45'. Even though you'll seldom need that length, the few times you do, will make your life easier. My cord is 25 feet, and works fine about 95% of the time. For the other 5%, I carry a 15 foot extension cord. If you cut back to 40 feet, you should be fine.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

I would use all 45' because more than once I have been in parks where I had to run the power cable under the motorhome to a power pole on the opposite side. I have seen some situations where the sewer or water was 30-35' from the power pole. With 45' you have a lot of flexibility.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
KIX

My suggestion is to make your "regular" cord 25'. Then make up a 20' extension. The longer the cord the higher the voltage loss.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Wanting to make up a new power chord, what is a good length that is typically long enough. I don't have the campsite experiences yet to know what length to make it. I already have the proper chord for the job and it is about 45' but think it is a little longer than I might want to carry. What typically is long enough or should I just make up the 45ft er and be done.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
In all reality, there is no right or wrong answer here. There are so many variables. Obviously in the electrical world, there is voltage drop any time you lengthen any wiring. Now, just how much you'll loose if you keep the full 45', well, you'll have to consult a wiring chart for that. But, in the mean time, you say you're about to make up a NEW power cord, correct?

Well, I'm assuming by that statement, you already have one. If so, how long is that one? And, if there is one already, may ask, why you're wanting to make a new one? It's no biggie, just curious. In all our camping experiences, in multiple campgrounds and RV parks covering much of the western U.S., we've only needed a few feet longer than my present shore power cord which by the way, is right close to 30', one time. I was fortunate that, I could adjust the coach position in the camp site to accommodate the total length of our power cord.

But, if it were me, I'd just leave it at 45' and, put your end(s) on it and call it a day. You may never need that total length but, the one time you do, you'll be REAL HAPPY you had it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I use a 25' for most of the hookups but I also carry a 40' in case I need more length.

I also carry a 100' 30 amp cord. My wife goes to dog shows and they space out the main power supplies a quite a distance.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
30' is hardwired in, but I carry a 50' / 50A extension if ever needed/desired.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If your cord is a 30 amp, you could probably leave it at 45'. If it's a 50 amp, I would do as "KIX" stated and make two cords. Dragging out a 45' 50 amp cord will get old. Typically, 25' will be plenty in the majority of campgrounds, keeping the rest of the cord for when it's needed. We've been all over the U.S. and the majority of the time, I don't spool out more than 10'-15'.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll just throw this out there...

If you have an automatic coiler, you might want to make sure that it'll coil all 45' before you hardwire it in. Mine is 30' but it fills the coil bin to the top when it's fully retracted. I could maybe squeeze in another 5' but not another 10' or 15'.

Just a thought...

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
My suggestion is to make your "regular" cord 25'. Then make up a 20' extension. The longer the cord the higher the voltage loss.
This is a great suggestion

I have a 5th heel with 50A service . OEM 50A cord is 25'

If longer it would be a bugger to coil/store.

Most times the 25' reaches your typical CG power pedestals but during our 7 yrs of FT travel we came across a varied assortment & placement of utilities

Fortunately I didn't need any extension cords as I have dual 50A receptacles....1 forward and 1 rearward so I was able to reach
Old 02-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think ours is 30 ft and I carry an add'l 30 ft of 50 amp, two 30' 30 amp and 150' of 20 amp cord. And yes, we have had to use it all at one time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
X2

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
IMO, camping in private campsites, a 30 footer will suit you 99% of times; if you often camp in state parks or national parks, you'll probably need an extra 30 footer.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
We do the same thing. We also have adaptors to go from 50 amp to 30 amp, and 30 amp to 20 amp if necessary. We've never needed more than the 80' of cord we carry. However we've only used the combination about 15% of the time. It's a lot easier to use only the 30' hardwired cord when that's all that's necessary.

Tags
power, shore power