Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Shore power not working

We have power from out generator but no power from landline. Box at campground is good. Juice to the box. We are first time RVers and this is a 2014 Thor Challenger. Thank you for any help.
driley43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #2

Sounds like your transfer switch is not working. Need to find someone who knows what they are doing to look at it for you. If you don't know what you are doing you can get into trouble in a hurry
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by driley43 View Post
We have power from out generator but no power from landline. Box at campground is good. Juice to the box. We are first time RVers and this is a 2014 Thor Challenger. Thank you for any help.
Unplug the shore power and shut off the generator.

Make sure the heavy users are off. AC's, micro etc etc. (If you shut off the generator they will shut down and need to be restarted anyways)

Turn OFF the breaker at the pedestal Now plug in the shore power. Now turn ON the breaker at the pedestal. Do you hear a loud CLICK coming from the coach..... this would be the transfer switch switching over to the shore power.

The transfer switch is a relay which protects against BOTH generator and shore power being on line at the same time. Its normal state is generator unless there is no generator AND there is shore power.

If you do not get the click you either have no shore power or, indeed the transfer switch is bad.

If that's the case I would first have the campground come out to verify the pedestal.
You said the pedestal was good.... how did you verify that?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

Campground checked pedestal and that is good. Where is the transfer switch.
driley43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
different makes - different location. I would search "transfer on ##########" on the web
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #6

Follow your shore power cord. First metal box you come to. ROUGHLY 8x8x4 or something like that.

Careful in there. Again, if it's working you'll hear it.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #7

If you have a 30 amp RV ( 3 blade plug ), you may not hear a clunk from the auto transfer switch when switching the pedestal breaker on or off.

There may be some 50 amp transfer switchs that don't clunk either in that test.

The normal state of a transfer switch is shore power or no power.

It only switches to generator once the generator is running and a 30 second delay has passed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by driley43 View Post

Has it ever worked on shore power since you've owned it?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you have a 30 amp RV ( 3 blade plug ), you may not hear a clunk from the auto transfer switch when switching the pedestal breaker on or off.

It only switches to generator once the generator is running and a 30 second delay has passed.
Soooo, why do I hear a "click" when I plug in with generator not running? It's either generator OR shore.... If there's nothing and I plug in and it CLICKS it was generator in it's unpowered state. I've installed a few.

2014 Thor Challenger has 50A service.

There may be transfer relays that are silent. I've never seen one. It's a big ol' spring loaded mechanical switch that slams over.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Soooo, why do I hear a "click" when I plug in with generator not running? It's either generator OR shore.... If there's nothing and I plug in and it CLICKS it was generator in it's unpowered state. I've installed a few.

2014 Thor Challenger has 50A service.

There may be transfer relays that are silent. I've never seen one. It's a big ol' spring loaded mechanical switch that slams over.
Some 50 amp ATS have 2 relays. One for shore and one for generator.

Shore power closes one. When you start the generator, it wait 30 seconds and then shore drops out as generator closes.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/au...tch/#downloads

Here is its description of operation.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-14-22-11-51.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	238102
Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Some 50 amp ATS have 2 relays. One for shore and one for generator.
I'll buy that. Still going to hear a click when you plug in.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
I'll buy that. Still going to hear a click when you plug in.
Some use double throw relays that rest in shore power mode, no clunk until generator.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Some use double throw relays that rest in shore power mode, no clunk until generator.
OK, I'll buy that too. Never seen one in 30 years. And it's not working, so it's not resting in shore power. So, if it comes on......odds are he will hear a click.

Either way, he needs to take the lid off the thing and get a multi meter out. The schematic will most likely be in there. Not sure if he's up for that.

Oh... almost forgot... the main breakers are on.....right?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

This is exactly how mine works. I have an outlet tester stuck in an outlet in plain sight. Makes it easy to see the transfer is made.

Tags
power, shore power