Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Shore power problem

Power at post. Power to inlet side of SurgeGuard 50 amp transfer switch. Nothing coming out. Generator load will switch and run coach and charge batteries. Inverter is fine as it is providing power to the 12-V devices that it is supposed to. Control panel says no shore power.

My guess is that the transfer switch is bad. Any thoughts or workarounds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Unplug the coach and take the cover off the transfer switch. Chances are you will find pitted or burned/stuck points.

Or, try this. I worked with a guy who thought a swift smack with a hammer would cure anything - and many times in these kinds of situations he was right. You won't lose anything if you try it

Old 10-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Well if no power is coming out of the surgeguard it could be you don't have good power coming into it. It should register a fault while powering up and show if you have low voltage. Can you check your shore power and see what the actual voltages are? If the power is getting through the surgeguad, then I would suspect the transfer switch too. It could be stuck in the generator power position. Sometimes you can "persuade" them to unstick with a hammer. If you unhook all of your power and take the cover off the transfer switch you it may be obvious if one of the points are stuck or corroded. Good luck Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This actually happened to me a couple of months ago. Left one campground everything working. Went back to the campground where I have been living for a while and hooked back up to my same shore power in the same spot I was parked in. The generator worked fine, No shore power and everything showing fine on my progressive industries EMS power monitor. The monitor read out showed voltages and frequencies correct no error codes just no current usage. Just no power from shore power. Checked the transfer switch and no power coming into it from The Porgressive industries box. Called them and they had me make some tests. It was the Progressive industries EMS power monitor system that was bad.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks fellows, I will start with the hammer
Old 10-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

What? The OP says the inverter is supplying power to 12V devices? The inverter doesn't supply 12V - it inverts to 120VAC.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The surge guard has readouts. What do they say?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
What? The OP says the inverter is supplying power to 12V devices? The inverter doesn't supply 12V - it inverts to 120VAC.
In most cases the inverter has a 12VDC charger integrated in it so in reality it does both.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

The Surge Guard indicator inside the coach indicates two legs of 120V.
The power control monitor in the coach indicates that there is no shore power. When I put the generator online the power control monitor indicates that there is generator power and how many amps each leg is pulling.

From ding voltage tests on the Surge Guard Switch it seems that I have power into the unit from shore power but no power beyond that into the coach. When I run the generator I have power in and power out through the switch. It seems as if for whatever reason it is not switching to shore power when the generator is off.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #10

Where is the Surge Guard in the circuit? At the post? Inside the coach passed the power cord? After transfer switch?
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #11

I had no shore power not long ago and it turned out it was the connector at the end of the 50 amp cord.. The neutral was disconnected...
Generator worked but not shore, same as you're describing.
Take cover of of transfer switch and measure in and out...
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I had no shore power not long ago and it turned out it was the connector at the end of the 50 amp cord.. The neutral was disconnected...
Generator worked but not shore, same as you're describing.
Take cover of of transfer switch and measure in and out...
I had the same issue on my coach. Control would allow the 2 120v legs to pass through but continues to look for the bonding of ground and neutral legs. The control panel should say Neutral=Ground if everything is OK. If it doesn't see the bonding it will shut power from entering the coach. This is a safety feature so if a electrical short in the coach happens, anyone touching the coach doesn't become the grounding leg.
Gdawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx888 View Post
The Surge Guard indicator inside the coach indicates two legs of 120V.
The power control monitor in the coach indicates that there is no shore power. When I put the generator online the power control monitor indicates that there is generator power and how many amps each leg is pulling.

From ding voltage tests on the Surge Guard Switch it seems that I have power into the unit from shore power but no power beyond that into the coach. When I run the generator I have power in and power out through the switch. It seems as if for whatever reason it is not switching to shore power when the generator is off.
I'd also test the pedestal with a volt/olm meter. Should read 120v across each hot leg to ground and neutral. Neutral and ground should show no voltage but indicate they are tied together using the olm meter. I'd test all unfamiliar pedestals before connecting to the coach.
Gdawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #14

I should be more clear. I did test the pedestal and it is fine. I took the cover off of the Surge Guard/Transfer switch (not a portable type surge guard). I have power on the end of the shore power cord where it terminates on the transfer switch. After that here is no power through the transfer switch. When I use the generator the transfer switch apparently works fine. I am guessing that my transfer switch is shot.

Tags
power, shore power