Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No they did not give them permission to use the jacks. As far as my spelling goes my phone's spell check has a mind of it's own sometimes. Hydraulics are not my cup of tea. I know just enough to get me in trouble. Lol. Guess I need to bring myself up to speed. I've heard nothing good about Lippert systems for that matter. Glad my rig has the HWH system and my slides are electric.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jack instructions say NOT to lift the wheels off the ground..

And I support those instructions for several reasons

But with proper care.. it can be safely done.. and was on my rig.

I would be very caeful though I would much rather let 'em use my bottle jack if we need to lift the axle.. It too can do the job with a bit of assistance from their air compressor.. you see.it is a jack-jack

(Like a jack hammer but it's a jack not a hammer,, with a jackhammer operated pump).
Old 07-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #17

You should automatically assume that the shop where you take your rig is staffed by uneducated underpaid lazy idiots. They will not use a torque wrench the way they should, they will use your equipment (jacks) to do a job you are paying them to do. Be proactive. I assume they will take shortcuts and use my jacks so if I can't be there to watch them, I remove fuses so they can't use them.

I hate taking my RV anywhere to be worked on. I asked the tire shop to make sure they torqued my lug nuts. You know what the fools did, they used the impact wrench to put them on as tight as possible then the went over them with a torque wrench. I had to explain to the shop moron supervisor that now they can be torqued to 500lbs and still show proper torque at 150lbs. Made them loosen all lug nuts and do it again.

Had them put spacers on my leaf spring to level the coach. Asked them specifically to make sure everything is torqued. I threw a torque wrench on at home and found the spring shackle bots were maybe torqued to 100lbs vs the 300 they required.

Bottom line, don't trust any shop to be professional and do a good job.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #18

Others beat me to it...

Unless the tire shop guys asked to use the jacks and you gave them permission then they are in fact responsible for EACH AND EVERY ACTION THEY PERFORM...PERIOD!!!

If they perform unapproved processes or perform approved tasks in a manner not authorized and those tasks cause damage in any way they are 100 % responsible and in no way can they blame you or anyone else.

The rear wheels are the braking system and they should NEVER leave the ground via a leveling device as the suspension is not designed for it as well as no brakes.

If mom and pop get the person in charge and if chain go to headquarters.

Do expect FULL AND COMPLETE repair by FACTORY QUALIFIED AND AUTHORIZED providors.

Expect a full suspension inspection and repair as your shocks now may be busted.

Take a long walk to cool down...I would be wanting heads on plates!

And expect a CERTIFIED TIRE INSTALLER TO INSPECT IT.

Yes I stated certified!

That means someone who has a document showing they have been trained to install them because this place has a problem "operating pliers:
Old 07-13-2015, 01:11 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So far the tire shop is paying for the repairs. Pump motor is in the shop being rebuilt now.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #20
Commercial Member

mr d, all hwh manuals state" not to use jacks for changing tires"
its in the operator and service manuals.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #21

I like the idea of using the lifting points of the hydraulic jacks to lift instead of the tire shop trying to guess. But if they took it upon themselves to use the jacks without permission, it's on them. Or at least they have to work with the jack company to figure out why the failure occured. If the jack company states to not raise the wheels with the jacks, that's going to be the end of the conversation. Not sure why the system didn't self protect though.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
So far the tire shop is paying for the repairs. Pump motor is in the shop being rebuilt now.
Thanks for the update...hope all turns out well.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Ok here's a nightmare that a friend had to deal with today.
They dropped off their coach at a tire shop to get new tires installed and left to go to lunch. When they came back the shop had used the rig's hydrolic leveling jacks to lift it up off the ground to change tires. The motor for them had been burnt up and 150 amp fuse had been blown and they couldn't get the jacks to retract because the system had been over pressurize. The rig had a Lippert system in it. My question is: Do you think the tire shop is responsible for the damage? In all the owners manuals that I have read it states not to use the leveling system to raise the coach off the ground.
It's a 2009 Safari Cheeta 42PAQ.
DD788Snipe
My Coach sat for over 3 hours up on only my RVA leveling jacks with all 6 wheels removed while the shop mounted and spin balanced all 6 new tires.
I wasn't happy about it... (however I often camp where 1 or more tires are lifted off the ground).
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

The shop is responsible, regardless of anything the jack manual may or may not say, and regardless of whether the Lippert jack system is adequate or not. They were in control and therefore are responsible for what happens while working on the vehicle.

That said, my Equalizer system is fully capable of safely lifting the entire coach off the ground. My previous coach with a Power Gear system could do front or back but not both, but there was a significant risk of body twist damage if done so. Still, a shop was able to use the coach Power Gear jacks to change front tires without a problem, but I supervised the jacking myself. We did that because the coach wouldn't fit on the shop's hoist or even in the building, so the change was done outside. Not a truck tire shop, so not really equipped for the job, but I needed the tires ASAP.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The shop is responsible, regardless of anything the jack manual may or may not say, and regardless of whether the Lippert jack system is adequate or not. They were in control and therefore are responsible for what happens while working on the vehicle.
Gary is correct. It is called CARE, CUSTODY, and CONTROL When I was a garage owner many years ago and a problem came up with a customers vehicle, it boiled down to who had the CARE of the vehicle, who had Custody, of the vehicle and who had CONTROL of the vehicle. In the case of the tire shop, the vehicle was in there care and custody and they were in control of what happened to it. They are liable.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
"you touch it, you own it" Easy case, no retainer required. Bottom line, yes, the shop will pay for the repair and the lost time. They can pay reasonable rent on the motorhome while it is unusable. So simple. Easy questions without researching. 1) Ask the shop owner what type of leveling system is this. Many were named in the post and replies, but exactly what type of system did the shop owner think this one was? 2) Exactly how familiar was the shop owner with this particular type of leveling system, and how did he become familiar with it? They are all different, is he familiar with them all?

Just a bit more study and I'd have this shop wanting to pay. Morons, this is why they have their own jacks in the shop. Legal Darwinism, this owner needed to have more control over his team.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My friends also found out from the owner of the consignment lot had to replace the motor on the pump when he still had it on his lot so the electric motor was new. They're going to Coburg in a couple of weeks to get this resolved along with a few others so we'll see what happens. Thank you all for all your great input. This is the best forum for RVers on the internet.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is still on going and I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

Tags
install, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, tires