Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

Should AC vents in back bedroom be blowing as hard as in the middle or up front?

I jsut got a new bounder 35k

Has 2 ACs and when I have them both cranked and running the vents right by the ACs blow hard of course, the front near the cockpit is pretty decent, but the bedroom is very bad.

Hardly any air whatsoever.

Is that normal? Also seeing that the 2nd AC (near the back) is not pulling as much amperage as the one in the front.

Is this just the way it is or something I should be concerned about?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

That's how it works when a ducting system isn't sized properly and can't be balanced with dampers. Maybe you could find some diffusers with dampers that will fit your installation. Then you could sort of balance the air by closing-off the ones with too much CFM and forcing it to go to the others with less CFM.

Bruce

Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #3

Are they the same BTU's ?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

I have two a/c units that are ducted together in the ceiling. With only front unit on, I get good flow up forward and much less flow aft. With rear unit only, I get good flow aft, with much less flow forward. With both units on, I get good air flow throughout.

Something seems to be amiss with your new Bounder. If it is under warranty the answer is obvious. If not, further investigation is needed to find missing air flow. More details on amp readings may help the forum group diagnose.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

yeah it's brand new got it home yesterday :(

when the rear AC is running there is almost zero air in the bedroom. Not a degree dropped in temperature it's very hot back there.

they are the same size both units.

The fan seems to be working in it though.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
yeah it's brand new got it home yesterday :(

when the rear AC is running there is almost zero air in the bedroom. Not a degree dropped in temperature it's very hot back there.

they are the same size both units.

The fan seems to be working in it though.
Sorry to read that your Bounder is brand new and having an a/c issue. The good news is that your dealer will take a look at that and hopefully have a remedy. Stranger things have come out of an RV production facility.

Please share the results so we all can learn.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

Make sure the thermostat is on auto instead of low setting for fan.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

Just a thought does your rear air have vents on the cover that can be closed to force air to other vents.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Just a thought does your rear air have vents on the cover that can be closed to force air to other vents.
Hmmm.. That would make sense because when the 2nd AC is on the air comes out of the main cab vents with more force..

Wonder what such a thing would look like? Would it be on the panel where the filter is?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #10

My front air has a full filter over it the rear has a half size filter and three vent that can be slide close to force more to rear or open to put more air in cabin.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My front air has a full filter over it the rear has a half size filter and three vent that can be slide close to force more to rear or open to put more air in cabin.
ohhh.. ok yeah I do have those, but they are all closed.

Acts as if something is blocking the duct to the back.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #12

3things if you open those vents does the unit blow hard out them? Second on the vents in bedroom are the flaps open? Have you been driving it,I'm assuming it's a diesel the engine can keep it pretty hot till it cools down.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brandon, at one place you say no rear air, but you say the fan is working , and you said no temp drop. You also said lower amp draw than the front unit.

So is there no air flowing at all, or is there air flowing but it is not being cooled? Can you tell by the sound whether or not the rear compressor is kicking in? That would explain the low amp draw.

In any event, it is clearly a warranty issue. Presumably you've already been on the phone with your dealer.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #14

ok looks like we sorta figured it out I guess.

There was very little air running to the back. Like I had both ACs on high cool for over an hour and the bedroom was 12 degrees hotter than the main cab.

Sooo after massive amount of trial and error we found that the main culprit is the back bathroom vent. Once we closed that one of the bedroom vents started to blow a little.

So then we went and closed all the rest in the cab and the same vent was blowing hard..

There are 2 sets of vents in the bedroom and only the 2nd set is blowing worth a darn.

Bottom line looks like it's just not ducted very well. Going to need to do a bunch more trial and error to try to make it comfortable in front and back and it may not be achievable.

For sure can't be comfortable in the back bathroom and the bedroom the air flow is one or the other.

is there anything I can do to modify this. Just seems it's not funneling the air very well in the back..

The front is perfect with all vents open though.

Tags
vent