Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #15

I understand your liking the larger unit over a pop-up, but I would ask ,,, do you really need to own a motorhome? You have rented before , so why not continue to rent when you want to travel and camp? You might look into the time share idea that is available also. I would hate for you to purchase a unit only to be caught up in expensive repairs that were unforseen. JMHO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's nothing wrong about buying a motorhome from the "rust belt". It's not the location of the motorhome so much as the care taken that determines the condition of any rv. We store ours inside during the winter, it gets put away before the first snow and doesn't come out until after the last snow and after we have had a couple heavy rains to wash the roads off. We have many camping friends that do the same and take good care of their rvs. Our motorhomes looks just as clean and rust free as any rv of the same age from the "sun belt". Do a good visual check of the rv, have an expert look it over if possible, and if the present owner has kept good records of maintenance and the test ride and systems try out goes well you should be ok!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #17

Didn't mean to step on any toes! But as you said, it's put up all winter, and that's is really hard on a MH not being used for a long period of time. I get mine out once a month and drive it for about 40-50 miles to keep everything lubed up, and burn off any moisture in the engine. But that is not an option when there is 3' of snow on the ground! How's that Global warming thing treating ya'll up there?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #18

Heck yes! The biggest reason is that they have depreciated about as far as they will go. The second reason is that most of the kinks should be worked out.

I bought mine for 10K and have had no surprises. It had 56K miles, needed new tires and a tune up.

I put in a new modern 12v system 650 AH system, batteries, converter, inverter etc. I added a Tru Trac for the front and Bilstein Steering damper. It had new Bilstein shocks, airbags, refrigerator, carpeting and flooring, captain chair upholstery, toilet etc. There were no leaks. I sealed the roof seams.

$10 to 12K sure beats 100K and it does everything I need and more with a lot less hassle than a new one if you are careful. Evaluate the rig carefully both as to the MH and drive train. See if service records and owner manuals are not only kept but updated. If it is a good clean coach, well maintained on the inside and in the engine compartment you are headed in the right direction.

Here in So. CA there are hundreds of used coaches on the market. Some good some bad. Dealers offer zip for trade ins. Many are selling so they can go to the toy haulers and others are just buying a new coach. Many are asking their payoff value not their true retail value. Do an intelligent search for the Brand you are looking for, size and layout and be prepared to act when the right one pops up.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll second Forest, I had a lot of fun upgrading my last MH, when I got it where I wanted it DW said I want something bigger with slides. I lamented I wouldn't have any more fun working on it. It's been 6 years & I'm back out here having fun again. The old one wasn't taken very good care of, nor stored inside, but I didn't have alot of problems either, except fuel & that was getting the right filters. Certainly didn't see any rust that would cause a problem & I live in the rust belt. I've seen more rust damage from units visiting the ocean beachfronts than driving in winter in the rustbelts.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #20
GRV

Hi Jody, Think it out first, how often will you be using your motorhome 1 or 2 times a year? where will you store it when not in use? to be cost effictive you should have your own free storage area w/electric shore power to maintaine the batteries. you should try to get into a 1995 or newer model to have fuel injection and modern electronic ignition. If you can not justify ownership you might be better off renting or leasing a M.H. when you need it... $ 10,000.00 does not go very far when buying and/or repairing a motorhome. GOOD LUCK Gerry
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by GRV:
your own free storage area w/electric shore power to maintaine the batteries. you should try to get into a 1995 or newer model to have fuel injection and modern electronic ignition. If you can not justify ownership you might be better off renting or leasing a M.H. when you need it... $ 10,000.00 does not go very far when buying and/or repairing a motorhome. GOOD LUCK Gerry
Solar trickle chargers will keep your batteries charged during storage and while parked. No need to use shore power. 1991 and newer Ford chassis MH have EFI and electronic ignitions as I believe with most others do too. $10K should go a long way to purchasing an excellent used MH since dealers are offering so little for trades nowadays. You just have to shop a little. The 1990 - 2000 Class A MH go for $10 to $20K.

I can't imagine anything that might cost more than 10K to repair on a used MH if you do your basic homework.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
I've said it before, so I might as well say it again...the only real cost of ownership is...depreciation per mile...not repairs, not tires, and not fuel....and renting is money down the drain, and much like not owning your home. If we had rented, every time we used our old coach, we could have bought 3 just like it.. and once it was fixed up with new carpet, tires, etc..our operating costs were next to nothing and still not a dollar spent for depreciation. The real reason for something newer, bigger and nicer, is because it can be afforded by some...with not much thought as to what this thing might be costing per mile...except when the fuel costs begin to rise.....then the discussion begins....about traveling less and not very far, which translates into a higher cost per mile.
A person once told me that he traded in his car because it had cost him money for repairs the two months previous...so he traded for a new one. After that he paid every month for the next three years or more, whether anything went wrong with it or not and then, it was worth about half, once he got it paid for. During the 70's gas shortage...many people were trading in their behemoths for little fuel savers...I calculated for a friend...and determined that he would be saving his first penny after 20 years of ownership...
NEXT.........
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #23

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpg4851:
I've said it before, so I might as well say it again...the only real cost of ownership is...depreciation per mile...not repairs, not tires, and not fuel...>>>>>>

You may have said it before and it was as ridiculous then as it is now. Creative accounting to serve to your own needs sounds a lot like the education problems with college students I see who whose reading and math skills are atrocious and they expect passing grades to be handed to them because they are there.

Sorry your accounting cost theories just don't hold water.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #24

[quote]
Quote:
Originally posted by dpg4851:
I've said it before, so I might as well say it again...the only real cost of ownership is...depreciation per mile...not repairs, not tires, and not fuel...>>>>>>

You may have said it before and it was as ridiculous then as it is now. Creative accounting to serve to your own needs sounds a lot like the education problems with college students I see who whose reading and math skills are atrocious and they expect passing grades to be handed to them because they are there.
Sorry your accounting cost theories just don't hold water.

Ummmmm, must have hit a sour note there, without even trying,....especially with the bringing out of this college thingy???....must have hit on something there also. I don't know which college you attended, or are teaching at, which is the only way to really... see it .. as you say, but they didn't hand out anything for free at my institution. Now, you got me thinking that this discussion might provide some good material for a thesis.
Anyway, before we get off the subject entirely here,I would like to ask if anyone has had a greater expense than depreciation on their unit. My cost of ownership is going up as we speak and it's just sitting in the driveway doing nothing. Not to say that this is a bad thing. I mean, they are toys, like boats... not a appreciating asset from an investment standpoint, which is why most of them are owned by us impractical Americans who love them.
Finally, I really didn't mean to step on any toes here and don't remember personally ridiculing anyone's opinion ...just wanted to point out the fact that repairs, maintenance and fuel is not the biggest cost of ownership....oops,...in my opinion that is!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #25

Can't resist getting into the middle of a pis--ing match. To be specific the real cost that most people do not consider is the "opportunity cost of money". That is what the money would have earned them if they had invested it instead of consumed it. If you spend 50,000 on a downpayment on an MH and you could have received 5%. You need to add another $2500 per year to your interest payments to just get the cash costs. Depreciation is a good proxy, but probably underestimates the true out of pocket expenses. As the old saying goes if you have to ask the price, you probably can not afford it
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Can't resist getting into the middle of a pis--ing match. To be specific the real cost that most people do not consider is the "opportunity cost of money". That is what the money would have earned them if they had invested it instead of consumed it. If you spend 50,000 on a downpayment on an MH and you could have received 5%. You need to add another $2500 per year to your interest payments to just get the cash costs. Depreciation is a good proxy, but probably underestimates the true out of pocket expenses. As the old saying goes if you have to ask the price, you probably can not afford it Mad
I'm glad you pointed that out, which I failed to do and reminds me of that Corvette we once owned that was hardly ever driven....musta been $200K in that car, the way you've explained it... and the stock market was raging during those years too, with me putting every nickle I could spare into Mutual Funds! Too bad the Vette wasn't a 67 L88 or maybe even something close.
You've reinforced my point here even more as to why JodyS couldn't go wrong with an older unit from a monetary standpoint. From my experience, they're pretty dependable too, once you get them right. Also, there are a lot of them out there for sale, that are ready to go too. Me, I can't leave anything alone, and am constantly improving on what I own, then when I see something else that catches my eye, the old one has to go. Sorta my loss, their gain, so to speak.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #27

Life is short.
If you can afford it, forget the cost.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's different ways of looking at this, when my dad bought his first rv he bought a used and abused old class c. This rv was ugly, very rusted on the cab fendors and doors, very dirty inside, cushions wore out, and it hadn't been moved in years. He had lots of bargaining power, offered about a third of the asking price, then offered even less when the seller called him back about his offer! Well he replaced the cushions, washed and waxed the woodwork inside, painted the rust on the outside, and got 2 doors from the salvage yard to replace the rusted out ones. He used it for a couple years and then traded it in on a newer used model and got more than 4 times what he had in it for the trade in value! So I wouldn't say to automatically not buy an old used rv just because something might be wrong with it. If you are handy at all or have a friend who is and is willing to help you, I say go for it! Have some fun camping and in making some improvements to your rv, most people can't even leave a brand new rv alone without changing and improving things on them. Good Luck!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote