Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Should I carry a jack?

I have 275/80 R22.5 tires, and no spare tire. I am considering carrying a 20 ton bottle jack.
I have never handled a tire/wheel this big. If I had a flat where tire service was a problem, would it be possible for me to remove the wheel, and get it loaded into the toad and take it to be repaired. Or would it just be too heavy?
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #2

I expect that unless you also carry tools including a quality air impact wrench with sockets you will never get the wheel/tire off.

I carry an unmounted spare AND a Coachnet membership

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
FAR to heavy and you'll also need a way to undo and retorque to 450 lbs (Monaco's number)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I have 275/80 R22.5 tires, and no spare tire. I am considering carrying a 20 ton bottle jack.
I have never handled a tire/wheel this big. If I had a flat where tire service was a problem, would it be possible for me to remove the wheel, and get it loaded into the toad and take it to be repaired. Or would it just be too heavy?
Dan
Dan, it'd be in the 125lbs + range, also the lug nuts are torqued to around 500 lb/ft...I think.

No small job, at least for me.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

How much does one of these tire/wheel assemblies weigh? And how does the Tire Guy do it by the side of the road?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire service trucks have hyd. cranes on the rear of their trucks to lift the tire in and out of the back of the trucks, they also have large air compressors to run their 1" air impact wrench to provide 450 ft lbs of torque to change the tires.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry Coach-Net and a mounted spare, as there is no way I would be able to change it myself.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #8

With the proper tools you can change or at least take the tire to a repair shop.

However it does take planning, tool purchase and some brute strength.
By carrying a Torque multiplier to remove and reinstall the lug nuts, torque wrench, bottle jack, truck tire dolly or caddy. The problems you will run into are the unstable ground where you place the bottle jack, lug nuts that are really stuck beyond the capacity of the torque multiplier, lifting the wheel/tire off of the hub studs, having a vehicle you can actually place the tire in. Add to that there is the real danger of highway traffic and drunk or sleepy drivers getting to close for comfort while you are performing the removal.

Putting the tire back on is even a bit harder. Trying to align the wheel holes with the studs, then sliding the tire onto the hub can be a real challenge. Also the tire/wheel assembly is heavy! If you get it off and start to roll the tire to your toad and the tire starts to fall over, there is almost no way to stop it from falling, hopefully not on your foot.

All in all, think safety before you try to remove a tire. It is not easy. Under ideal conditions it is doable, but under side of the road conditions I feel a experienced tire company truck is your best bet. Good luck your your decision.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Having a bottle jack aboard is a excellent idea.....many uses for emergencies. Have use me bottle jack to change the tire on my toad, the vehicle jack is such a pain to remove from under the rear deck of a suv. This way I didn't have to take everything out to get to my toad jack.
My rv buddy had a stabilizer jack go bad, and he used my bottle jack for a temp fix till he got the jack repaired.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

I guess I'm in the minority, but I carry an unmounted spare and all the tools necessary to remove/replace a tire and wheel and if necessary, also dismount/mount the unmounted spare. It's really not a question of weight, it's all about leverage. I carry and use a 20T bottle jack and I use a 3/4" drive slide bar with a 4' pipe to extend the handle to loosen the lugs. Along with the slide bar I have a short extension, long extension and socket. When wheel lugs are removed, the pipe serves to lever the wheel just a bit to get it off the hub and studs and then roll it to the pickup. The assembly is leaned on the tailgate and the bottom swung out and up until I can wiggle it into the bed. I do carry a 600 ft lb 3/4" torque wrench to tighten the lugs to 450 ft lbs, but others use a torque multiplier with good results. To replace the wheel on the hub I again use the extension pipe as a lever. I cannot squat and lift the tire/wheel assembly. If I have to dismount the tire myself I have 2 truck tire irons and a short handled bead breaking hammer and some tire lube. I also have Coach Net service and if we are in an area where they are available, I'll use them, but we go to Alaska and Canada, and remote areas in the US where they may not be handy.

By the way, I'm 73 with the usual aches and pains of a senior, but I also do all my own maintenance on the rig. True, not as fast as I once was, but I do it. On periodic maintenance all 8 tires and wheels need to be removed to clean and lube "S" cams and check brakes, so my tools are useful for that too.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

We carry a 20ton bottle jack also, but not for changing a tire, that is for the tire road side service. There have been times when we boon dock, that we have 'stuck' a rock between the duals and needed to get it out. We have lifted the MH, loosened the dual and removed the rock. Yes, I carry the tools needed to retighten the lug nuts. We also tow a trailer with our 'toys' on it and it can get a little on the heavy side. Yes a 20ton jack may be a 'little over kill' but it sure is nice to have when I need to lift that trailer.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys...I think I will stick the jack into the rig, but won't plan on attempting a tire change....the worst that can happen for us would be a long wait for the tire service...we won't be traveling where nothing is available.

450FT/LBs....WOW.....

Dan
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Good choice. Wrestling with a 22.5 tire and wheel not only take strength but more so technique. It's probably easier to find a tire guy on a weekend than a chiropractor.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Good choice. Wrestling with a 22.5 tire and wheel not only take strength but more so technique. It's probably easier to find a tire guy on a weekend than a chiropractor.
And getting in line for a hernia operation , could spoil your day/ month /year.