Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #1

Should I caulk this?

These are the windows on my slide out on the driver side. They are only caulked along the top and around the corner of the top sides. The screws on the lower bunk that hold the curtain up show some oxidation. I am wondering if water is getting in here. Do you all have a caulk that you recommend?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	245479   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	245480  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would caulk the gap if it was my coach. I would use the black "weatherstrip" adhesive.
Run masking tape around the frame so the adhesive doesn't mess up the paint line. Another choice would be use a clear silicon.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2908126&rt=rud
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Use Geocell "Pro-Flex" for all the sidewall caulking. Just do not caulk past the lower end of the window. The bottom is supposed to be open to let any water that may get in there out.

Never use silicone of any type. It attracts dust, cannot be touched up because nothing but dust will stick to it and will not last very long. It must be completely removed before anything else can be applied there and then must be wiped down with solvent. Silicone will make LOTS of extra work for you in the future.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also agree the gap should be caulked. The product I would use is Geocel Proflex RV - Black. I would put masking tape on the outside of the crack. The black would match the black molding . I had a similar crack on both sides of my front cap. I used the black Proflex and it held very well. I purchased it from Amazon. A tube costs 13.75 but it is an excellent product.

I would not use silicone on anything like that. Nothing else adheres to silicone and I never found where silicone would adhere to it self. If you would ever have to deal with the crack again you would have to remove the old silicone. JMHO.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Use blue painter's tape much easier to get off then masking tape
Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

Repair or patch?

The side and bottom "gaps" are not caulked on many MH brands. The upper gap and a couple of inches down each side are caulked so that dirt won't build up and then streak down the sides (in theory).

The waterproofing is accomplished with the gasketing material (very often butyl rubber "tape") that is applied around the window opening before the outer window frame is pressed in to make a seal.

If you are suspecting water infiltration (oxidizing screwz) it could be that the original gasketing material (butyl rubber tape, or other) has failed or the frame as loosened and needs to be re-tightened from the inside. In that case the actual best course is to correct the issue - not mask it with an external covering (caulk). Correction could simply be tightening of the screws on the inside or could be as drastic as removing the window and reapplying the butyl sealant followed by caulking the top as was done at the factory.

Having said all of that, Yes, you could simply smear in some caulk, as suggest by others, and the "repair" or future touch-up would most likely last longer than your ownership of the MH.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The sides and bottom are left open for drainage. The windows are put in with butyl rubber sealant and should not be leaking. They do a pressurized "bubble" leak test on every coach where they pressurize the inside of the coach and go around every opening with spray soapy water looking for any air leakage. That is done before the coach is painted and the exterior caulking is added. I've watched them do it on our coach and others. Then after it's painted and caulked they do another bubble test. If you are getting oxidation, I would suspect moisture condensation more than a leak, especially if you have no signs of water infiltration elsewhere.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote